Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Yosemite 2013

Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Lol, since me and victor are in horrible shape, we'll man base camp and work on our high altitude endurance. The rest of you guys head up the mountain and let us know if you need help. :P

You guys have portable HAMs?
I am totally ok with this!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
musicjunky is on a distinguished road
musicjunky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotiknightz View Post
My biggest desire on this trip is to top half dome
I'd be down for this too!! Here's the permit info, registration is coming up quick in March:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Half dome has gotten way too busy. The only way (in my opinion) to climb it safely is to get up to half dome by 6 or 7 in the morning before everyone is up there waiting in line to make it up.

The past couple of years that we've gone we have done this and it has worked out fine, we've almost always made up there before the ranger is asking for the passes so we haven't needed to show ours haha
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
taco newb
xxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Boomer
Name: Titus
xxxotiknightz's Tacoma Gallery
either way its still an awesome place that I want to visit. Im cool with getting up early to make it to half dome
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #25
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Before this drops off into the abyss, does anyone want to set a date? July 4th and any weekends surrounding it should be the ones to avoid. We'll need to actually reserve campsites well ahead of time if we want to get one.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
The best time to go is late May/early June. After that the waterfalls start drying up and the people start swarming the place.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
taco newb
xxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Im thinking mid-late may.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
all the reservations for may and june are filled.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #29
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I tried booking for June on the 15th last month at 7AM (if anyone else has done this before you know what I'm talking about), and all the damn sites were full by 7:01. Some years I get lucky, some years I don't. But trying to coordinate more than 2 sites near each other is almost impossible
Old 03-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
Low season ends roughly in February. There's still some first come first serve in March, but basically you'd have to show up and hope for something there. Would be easier if a small group went mid week and the rest of the group showed up on Friday in a carpool.

6 people per site, 2 cars max.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
taco newb

what about the backpacking sites? Arent they just first come first serve?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
If you want to do Half Dome camping at Little Yosemite Valley would be a good option. We would need a wilderness permit for it though. I don't know how easy it is to come by one of those.

Only thing with that is that it isn't quite as secluded as some may want. And if people are afraid of bears I would suggest to stay away. Out of the 5 times i've hiked half dome (we always stop to use the restroom at Little Yosemite Valley camp area) on of those times I saw a bear cub going from site to site and another one of those times the campers there were pretty spooked because a bear had just been in their camp area.

Then again, you run that risk anywhere in the park.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
taco newb

You see me in fight with a bear you better jump in and help the bear. Imma give him so many rights he'll be beggin for a left.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I've done half dome as a 3 day before. Was pretty kick ass. I heard you need permits now for half dome? I would like to go again.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotiknightz View Post
You see me in fight with a bear you better jump in and help the bear. Imma give him so many rights he'll be beggin for a left.
This made me LOL
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
taco newb

you do need permits for half dome. you can only buy them on the day of though, and no overnight.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #37
hualampeter has a spectacular aura abouthualampeter has a spectacular aura about

Marines:
Name: Peter
hualampeter's Tacoma Gallery
Took me 15hrs to hike half dome with 30lb of gear Just leave at 5 in the morning you'll get there in no time.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #38
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
I have done half dome twice. It's neat to do once, but the top is no better then driving to the top of glacier point. I would recommend for a short hike Yosemite falls. If you want a longer hike try the northern rim trail. Don't forget you permits and watch out for bears. If you want to try something different try the tuolumne grand canyon, vogalsang, Ireland lake, and Gaylor and Granite Lakes trail. There is a bunch of neat trails that lots of people don't hike just because they are so fascinated with the valley in Yosemite.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Files/YOSEmap1.pdf
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #39
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
By the way there is more trails then on that map, that is just a start. Also A hike to lyell glacier would be neat. I have always wanted to see it before it melts. One of the last ones in California.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #40
taco newb

Im not sure when Im going to be able to go now. With work Im either on the road or stuck in the office right now. Im hoping I can make it by july. Otherwise I may not make it this year.