Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Yosemite 2013

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
taco newb
xxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Boomer
Name: Titus
xxxotiknightz's Tacoma Gallery
Yosemite 2013

I was wondering if there are any others on here that might be interested in a backpacking trip in Yosemite this summer?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Hector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to beholdHector v is a splendid one to behold
Hector v's Tacoma Gallery
Never done anything like that, but its something I always wanted to try. What kind of gear is needed? Assume I'm a total newb. I live in fresno now so it's not a far drive.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
would be down, though my range isn't very good at the moment. how about a car camping trip first?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
taco newb
xxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxxxotiknightz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hector: you will need a good sleeping bag, a ground pad, a tent or bivy sack, a backpack, water storage/ purification, light source, and a way to prepare food.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
I've always wanted to go but never had anybody to go with. I'm.interested.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be headed down to Ansel Adams wilderness sometime this summer for a pack trip. Probably end up at Ediza lake. I've between wanting to get down there for a few years, but either snow or time had screwed me up. Not this year.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
09FriscoTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Tarcilo
09FriscoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How long are you planning on staying out there? I'm interested in going but hesitant cuz I don't know how deep in there you want to go and and how far you will be hiking everyday.been there a few times but never hiked into it.sounds like a great time though.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
We can make this into a photo expedition if there're some folks w/ nice dslr or medium format cameras.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
09FriscoTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Tarcilo
09FriscoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know the name of it but u can see it from one of the look out points where u can see half dome and most of the mountains out there.well from that same look put point you can see this amazing water fall that I believe you can hike down to it.don't know how long it will take bit that's one places I'm willing to hike to if it can be done on this trip.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
musicjunky is on a distinguished road
musicjunky's Tacoma Gallery
That's called Glacier point.. you can hike down to half dome from there, it's about the same distance from the valley.

I'm into backpacking and was planning on doing the JMT this year, so I'd be down for a trip! I'm in Sonora, so not too far a drive for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
taco newb

Im really thinking about a week in the woods. No predetermined distance or daily average. Im more interested in the experience than the bragging rights. Im all down for half dome and glacier point. Im really wanting to use some of this minimalist gear I've acquired over the years. Plus it helps keep my survival training fresh.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
When? Avid hiker...
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly. If I happen to be up north then I'll see if I can work it into a schedule, but otherwise I'll be in SoCal, probably camping and climbing down there.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
I generally do a handful of backpacking trips in the sierras each year... although usually in the shoulder season to avoid the flocks. I'm definitely of the fast and light mantra. If that works with your plans let me know. It's been a while since I've hiked around Yosemite. In recent years trips out there have just been for climbing. The backpacking's been in less traveled parts...
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
i'm interested i'm just in horrible shape......
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
taco newb

I was thinking in june or july. that way the snow has plenty of time to melt off.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Rocknroll is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Rocknroll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjunky View Post
That's called Glacier point.. you can hike down to half dome from there, it's about the same distance from the valley.

It is 4.2 miles on the trail from Glacier Point to the valley.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
musicjunky is on a distinguished road
musicjunky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll View Post
It is 4.2 miles on the trail from Glacier Point to the valley.
Right, but it's 20 miles to Half Dome from Glacier point. Meets up with the Half dome trail from the valley at Nevada Falls (5.5 miles). I think that's the waterfall 09FriscoTaco is talking about.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Lol, since me and victor are in horrible shape, we'll man base camp and work on our high altitude endurance. The rest of you guys head up the mountain and let us know if you need help. :P

You guys have portable HAMs?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
taco newb

My biggest desire on this trip is to top half dome