Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Torque Wrench

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Torque Wrench

Looking for recommendations for torque wrenches. I am trying to fill out my toolbox for maintenance/mods and I am just not sure what to get. I tried the inexpensive harbor freight route with no luck (returned 3 bad wrenches) and not willing to roll the dice again.

Suggestions on which type would be appreciated as well (click, manual guage, digital) would be appreciated as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 needle torque wrenches and 3 clickers. The 2 needle ones are accurate enough, and any brand would due. The clickers, I have craftsman, an inch pound, a 20-150 ftlb, and a 25-250 ftlb. I don't use them but once a month, so they are good for me for light use, but if you would use them every day, go with Matco, Snap on, or Mac. Those are more for heavy use, and the price will reflect that. You get what you pay for. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Great Neck clicker style wrench 20-25 years ago and it's still going strong to this day. I can't speak to their present-day quality, but I've never had any problems with this wrench and it was even made in Taiwan. I keep it in it's own box so it can't get knocked around and only use it for torquing.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
coseng is on a distinguished road
coseng's Tacoma Gallery
I have a craftsman 1/2" that I use most often for tire changes/rotations. I have harbor freight 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" for infrequent use. The harbor freight ones have been fine for me. What happened to yours?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coseng View Post
I have a craftsman 1/2" that I use most often for tire changes/rotations. I have harbor freight 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" for infrequent use. The harbor freight ones have been fine for me. What happened to yours?
First HF wrench was totally frozen (couldn't adjust torque setting). I was able to adjust and use the second one once, then it would not adjust after that. Third one basically fell apart when I took it out of the box. I have picked up some good items from Harbor Freight and basically have the mindset that some things they sell are hit and miss. The torque wrench basically struck out

I am not a mechanic by trade so these tools will not be used on a daily basis. I just wanted to keep things in spec when I do work on my truck.

I picked up a needle 1/2" craftsman today for basic stuff, but will be researching more.

Thanks for the input folks.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
whiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
whiteboy's Tacoma Gallery
I (my dad) have a Craftsman torque wrench that has the spinner dial on the bottom that you rotate to the desired setting and "clicks" when you tighten something to that number. Hasn't let me down yet.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
I (my dad) have a Craftsman torque wrench that has the spinner dial on the bottom that you rotate to the desired setting and "clicks" when you tighten something to that number. Hasn't let me down yet.
I was looking at those and will probably get one as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
the craftsman spinners are OK, but the springs do wear out after a while. you can "calibrate" them with a standard needle wrench every few months. I wouldn't get bent out of shape though. we're not doing anything life critical like landing a dood on the moon so we're cool.

however, if you were doing something important like TTY bolts on a flywheel, I would go with calibrated wrench, a needle wrench, or someone w/ a snap on, mac or similar (if someone has one to borrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
w3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alvin
w3tw0rks's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Husky brand I purchased from Home Depot about 2 years ago or so for like $80. It's only seen light use and it's been fine for me. This is one tool I don't drop or throw around maybe that's why it's been working for me this long.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3tw0rks View Post
I have a Husky brand I purchased from Home Depot about 2 years ago or so for like $80. It's only seen light use and it's been fine for me. This is one tool I don't drop or throw around maybe that's why it's been working for me this long.
Same here i use it all the time and it has a life time warranty.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
deez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Darren
deez's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Husky 1/2" torque that I use for my lugs and a CDI 3/8" for smaller jobs that require more accurate tolerances.

CDI is a division of Snap-On (at a much lower price point).

http://www.cditorque.com/
Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked this up, it's kind of pricey but you can feel that is made well.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i like the SK line of torque wrenches. i have a craftman 3/8th drive. it is fairly accurate, but turning the handle is tricky. mine sometime sticks.

i borrowed my buddies SK 1/2" drive and that thing adjust like silk. about $140, so cheaper than snap on for sure.

Products Discussed in this Thread