1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NorCal trip 2/27

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by belone12, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    belone12

belone12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Hey guys,
    Came to the left coast to show my gf California for the 1st time. Doing the highway 1 in a convertible thing. Anyway, saw a long travel white single cab today and thought I'd post on here. Any good spots we shouldn't miss? Squeezing a lot into now thru Sunday. In sonoma doing the wine thing today/tonight. Going to Pt Reyes tomorrow, then down the coast to Monterey area till Saturday, then back up to San fran until 8 pm Sunday.
    took her to in/out last night. My only other musts are breadbowls haha.
    If you see a black mustang flashing their lights, it's me.
    Any tips are welcome!

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Razgriz

Razgriz wtf am i reading

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD 4x4
    Big Basin is a nice place. There are some nice trails in there. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very nice. I personalty enjoy just parking in Santa Cruz and walking the coastal cliff line. If you find yourself in Capitola i recommend Zeldas on the beach. Just not their lobster. The prime rib in pretty good IMO

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    belone12

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Thanks for info Matt. We are definitely going to spend some time in Santa Cruz doing that. The others are good options too.
    Thanks!

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    If you're a big fan of fresh oysters, you should check out Hog Island Oyster Co. in Marshall, CA. It's about 20 minutes north of Pt. Reyes. It's a must do if you're a big oyster fan. They have pinic areas and you can either shuck your own oysters or they will shuck them for you. There's a little general store right before you get to Hog Island that sells soup and sandwiches also!!!! Have fun on the Left Coast!!!!

5. Feb 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    Razgriz

Razgriz wtf am i reading

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD 4x4
    Only trick is finding parking!

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    I don't want to be too rude, but what rock have you been under?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/30/business/la-fi-mo-drakes-bay-oysters-20121130

7. Feb 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
  8. Feb 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, I guess no trip to this area would be totally complete unless you went up to the Marin Headlands, it will be the last off-ramp before you get to the Golden Gate Bridge. Take the road up to the Headlands and stop along the way up and get yer customary awesome pics of the GG Bridge, keep going to the top along the cliffs until it appears you can drive no farther, find a place to park and hike up Hawk Hill, tour some of the bunkers and gun emplacements. Get back in the car and at the 'end' of the road you'll see a one way road that continues west along sheer drop cliffs, park and walk around (there's a lighthouse you can tour too), as desired until you end up out at land's end. Heed all warning signs and stay within bounds when walking around, loose rocks a 300 foot cliffs are no joke. At land's end, you will see a beach to the north, you can drive back down and to that beach as well.
    If you have never walked the GG Bridge, consider doing so, I would recommend parking on the North side of the Bridge and walking from there.
    Welcome to Cali and have fun!

9. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    belone12

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a lot for all the tips. Last night someone was saying Hog Island was a must (and Cowgirl Cheese Company). Probably get to the bridge around 3. Not sure if we have time to walk the bridge but definitely going to the Marin Headlands. Awesome to get this input. I will post my hopefully awesome pic of the bridge when we get back.

10. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Right on. Ya know, when you get back home we'd love it if you post up yer pics :)

11. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    belone12

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Well we are in Monterey. Long day on the road, but great. Made it to Hog Island, Cowgirl Creamery, and awesome views down the coast. The Golden Gate was completely hidden in fog when we got to Marin Headlands. Still a cool drive up Hawks Bill and took some pics anyway. Can kind of see the outline. Anyway, spent a lot of time in traffic after that but no different than NYC so just rolled w it. Enjoyed a lot of sights and random stops after that, but didn't pull into Monterey until about 630.
    Will I saw all the signs or artichokes on the way down, on the list for the return trip. Going to enjoy it here and Big Sur for 2 days then head on back to SF.
    Saw some great tacos along the way. My girlfriend got sick of hearing me say it hahaha (but secretly loves it)
    Thanks guys

12. Feb 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    :thumbsup:

13. Feb 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Monterey's got some cool spots. Definitely the aquarium.

South of Big Sur is the town of Lucia and in it is the Lucia Lodge. Tomorrow should be gorgeous and they've got a restaurant with a great view. Food is good too. I like it better than Nepanthe which is in Big Sur-which is not to say Nepanthe sucks because it doesn't.

Products Discussed in

To Top