Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

NorCal trip 2/27

Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
NorCal trip 2/27

Hey guys,
Came to the left coast to show my gf California for the 1st time. Doing the highway 1 in a convertible thing. Anyway, saw a long travel white single cab today and thought I'd post on here. Any good spots we shouldn't miss? Squeezing a lot into now thru Sunday. In sonoma doing the wine thing today/tonight. Going to Pt Reyes tomorrow, then down the coast to Monterey area till Saturday, then back up to San fran until 8 pm Sunday.
took her to in/out last night. My only other musts are breadbowls haha.
If you see a black mustang flashing their lights, it's me.
Any tips are welcome!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Big Basin is a nice place. There are some nice trails in there. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very nice. I personalty enjoy just parking in Santa Cruz and walking the coastal cliff line. If you find yourself in Capitola i recommend Zeldas on the beach. Just not their lobster. The prime rib in pretty good IMO
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
Big Basin is a nice place. There are some nice trails in there. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very nice. I personalty enjoy just parking in Santa Cruz and walking the coastal cliff line. If you find yourself in Capitola i recommend Zeldas on the beach. Just not their lobster. The prime rib in pretty good IMO
Thanks for info Matt. We are definitely going to spend some time in Santa Cruz doing that. The others are good options too.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
If you're a big fan of fresh oysters, you should check out Hog Island Oyster Co. in Marshall, CA. It's about 20 minutes north of Pt. Reyes. It's a must do if you're a big oyster fan. They have pinic areas and you can either shuck your own oysters or they will shuck them for you. There's a little general store right before you get to Hog Island that sells soup and sandwiches also!!!! Have fun on the Left Coast!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
Thanks for info Matt. We are definitely going to spend some time in Santa Cruz doing that. The others are good options too.
Thanks!
Only trick is finding parking!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaker View Post
If you're a big fan of fresh oysters, you should check out Hog Island Oyster Co. in Marshall, CA. It's about 20 minutes north of Pt. Reyes. It's a must do if you're a big oyster fan. They have pinic areas and you can either shuck your own oysters or they will shuck them for you. There's a little general store right before you get to Hog Island that sells soup and sandwiches also!!!! Have fun on the Left Coast!!!!
I don't want to be too rude, but what rock have you been under?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov...sters-20121130
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
I don't want to be too rude, but what rock have you been under?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov...sters-20121130
That article is referring to drakes bay oyster company.....hog island is a totally different company and is still opperating in Marshall.

www.hogislandoysters.com
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I guess no trip to this area would be totally complete unless you went up to the Marin Headlands, it will be the last off-ramp before you get to the Golden Gate Bridge. Take the road up to the Headlands and stop along the way up and get yer customary awesome pics of the GG Bridge, keep going to the top along the cliffs until it appears you can drive no farther, find a place to park and hike up Hawk Hill, tour some of the bunkers and gun emplacements. Get back in the car and at the 'end' of the road you'll see a one way road that continues west along sheer drop cliffs, park and walk around (there's a lighthouse you can tour too), as desired until you end up out at land's end. Heed all warning signs and stay within bounds when walking around, loose rocks a 300 foot cliffs are no joke. At land's end, you will see a beach to the north, you can drive back down and to that beach as well.
If you have never walked the GG Bridge, consider doing so, I would recommend parking on the North side of the Bridge and walking from there.
Welcome to Cali and have fun!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #9

Thanks a lot for all the tips. Last night someone was saying Hog Island was a must (and Cowgirl Cheese Company). Probably get to the bridge around 3. Not sure if we have time to walk the bridge but definitely going to the Marin Headlands. Awesome to get this input. I will post my hopefully awesome pic of the bridge when we get back.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the tips. Last night someone was saying Hog Island was a must (and Cowgirl Cheese Company). Probably get to the bridge around 3. Not sure if we have time to walk the bridge but definitely going to the Marin Headlands. Awesome to get this input. I will post my hopefully awesome pic of the bridge when we get back.
Right on. Ya know, when you get back home we'd love it if you post up yer pics
Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
On the way down to Monterey, stop in Pescadero and get yourself a loaf or three of Artichoke Bread. You will never find a better bread!!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

Well we are in Monterey. Long day on the road, but great. Made it to Hog Island, Cowgirl Creamery, and awesome views down the coast. The Golden Gate was completely hidden in fog when we got to Marin Headlands. Still a cool drive up Hawks Bill and took some pics anyway. Can kind of see the outline. Anyway, spent a lot of time in traffic after that but no different than NYC so just rolled w it. Enjoyed a lot of sights and random stops after that, but didn't pull into Monterey until about 630.
Will I saw all the signs or artichokes on the way down, on the list for the return trip. Going to enjoy it here and Big Sur for 2 days then head on back to SF.
Saw some great tacos along the way. My girlfriend got sick of hearing me say it hahaha (but secretly loves it)
Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Well we are in Monterey. Long day on the road, but great. Made it to Hog Island, Cowgirl Creamery, and awesome views down the coast. The Golden Gate was completely hidden in fog when we got to Marin Headlands. Still a cool drive up Hawks Bill and took some pics anyway. Can kind of see the outline. Anyway, spent a lot of time in traffic after that but no different than NYC so just rolled w it. Enjoyed a lot of sights and random stops after that, but didn't pull into Monterey until about 630.
Will I saw all the signs or artichokes on the way down, on the list for the return trip. Going to enjoy it here and Big Sur for 2 days then head on back to SF.
Saw some great tacos along the way. My girlfriend got sick of hearing me say it hahaha (but secretly loves it)
Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Monterey's got some cool spots. Definitely the aquarium.

South of Big Sur is the town of Lucia and in it is the Lucia Lodge. Tomorrow should be gorgeous and they've got a restaurant with a great view. Food is good too. I like it better than Nepanthe which is in Big Sur-which is not to say Nepanthe sucks because it doesn't.