Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

[REQUEST] 3/24/2013 Hollister Buddy/Tour Guide, Easy Trails

Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Wanderer
PastRedline will become famous soon enough
Name: Kyle
PastRedline's Tacoma Gallery
[REQUEST] 3/24/2013 Hollister Buddy/Tour Guide, Easy Trails

Hi All-

I would like to take my truck down to Hollister this Sunday and try out the park. I've been there on two wheels but this will be my first try on 4 wheels. I would like to find a buddy to go with, if anyone's interested.

The agenda would include only easy stuff cause the truck's new and stock, I don't want to damage anything, and I'll have my little girls (3 yrs old) with me.

Anyone available to show us around a little bit? Maybe show us somewhere for a cool lunch spot...

Don't feel like you have to have experience. If you're a newbie as well, I'm sure we could find a few interesting spots together. I have a recovery strap, so we would have the potential to get each other out of trouble (or into more of it...)

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I would help you out, but I'll be in Pismo this weekend. Your stock truck will be able to do a good amount there. I would probably stick to the green trails and maybe try a few blue trails.

btw, they have a free event there on 4/13. If youhave fun this weekend, maybe you can come to that event as well.

have fun! And welcome to TW! I'm right by you in UC
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Your stock truck will be able to do a good amount there. I would probably stick to the green trails and maybe try a few blue trails.

btw, they have a free event there on 4/13. If youhave fun this weekend, maybe you can come to that event as well.

have fun! And welcome to TW! I'm right by you in UC
Hey, thanks for the response. Right now, I have plans for the 13th, but I might be able to move them around a little bit...

Are truck trails marked the same way as bike trails (meaning that even alone, a green should be easily doable?)

Thanks,

-Kyle
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah most of the trails are marked. But there are quite a few trails that are not marked, perhaps they're trails that people have made on their own over time. You can ask for a map at the front ranger station when you pay to get in, then just cross reference the trails with whats on the map. Just use common sense and you'll be able to navigate just fine. i.e. You're on a trail and the next right is suppose to be X trail (as indicated by the map), but its unmarked. Sometimes passing it up, you'll find the correct turn off shortly after.

And yes the greens are just like fire trails, some with more of an incline than others, but easily doable.

I won't be able to make it on the 13th as well, but a bunch of us go there at different times. We usually have 2-3 big meets there every year where we'll have 20-40 trucks. So you'll have your chances to go up with some of us sometime soon.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
We usually have 2-3 big meets there every year where we'll have 20-40 trucks. So you'll have your chances to go up with some of us sometime soon.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll see you out there sometime.

-Kyle
Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Whatchu drive? Should do an intro thread. I;m in the same area too
Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be heading out there in a month or so to test out my new suspension your more then welcome to tag along and

I'm just going to be testing so just messing around a bit nothing too crazy
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^ Jerry, we should probably load up your truck with go pros and cameras and junk.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcm12 View Post
Whatchu drive? Should do an intro thread. I;m in the same area too
Just a stock one. I didn't really do the introduction thread since the truck doesn't have any special mods or anything. It's gray, and I love it. That's what counts, right? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I'll be heading out there in a month or so to test out my new suspension your more then welcome to tag along and

I'm just going to be testing so just messing around a bit nothing too crazy
Weekends are pretty busy around here but I'd love to learn from others, so let me know and I'll see if it fits in.

BTW: I think we spoke via e-mail the other day. I was asking about the rock slider install.

See you all out on the trails soon...

-Kyle
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
But I need to be able to find you lol
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcm12 View Post
But I need to be able to find you lol
Oh i must have misunderstood. Are you headed down there tomorrow? Or just to find other TW members in general :-)

If you're headed down there, send me a pm and I'll send you my cell phone #. We could chat in the morning.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Wanderer
Thanks everybody for their replies/welcomes.

We had a great time. My girls loved playing in the dirt, and I had a lot of fun wheeling.

Greens turned out to be laughably easy - I'm pretty sure my wife's passenger car could've done most of that. Blues got a little more difficult as we went up to the overlook.

We ran into a group of range rovers doing a driving school and one of the instructors invited us to follow them for a bit (doors open when you have cute kids with you :-) ), so we ended up doing "Fremontia Rd and Hill Climb Return", which were both black diamonds. No issues, even stock. Very impressed with the truck's capabilities.

I did manage to get myself stuck in the "flexing" section of the obstacle course with one front and one rear in the air and had to lock the rear diff to get moving again.

Some fun images:

Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
damn! i wana hit it up! maybe on the 13th. for my bday!!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be down to head out there sometime. But I've been wanting to change it up and hit some national forest roads, nothing crazy.