Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Gold lake group run (May 3rd-5th)

Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
I'm dropping the hammer
Bawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really nice

Air Force: Chair Force
Name: Jon
Bawlzdeep's Tacoma Gallery
Gold lake group run (May 3rd-5th)

Gold Lake Group Run (May 3rd to 5th) - YotaTech Forums

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/pluma...11197&actid=79

The Sly Park run we did a while back had a big turn out. Can we top that one?

List of those going:
1. Redwolf3 (OP from YT)
2. Myself
3. Downpour11
4. Stokes
5. having fun
6. giantsfan

Maybes:
1. rolling blackout
2. Mein4x4

No good videos of Gold Lake "yet" but here's a stupid Jeep one that at least shows the terrain Gold Lake OHV 2012 - YouTube
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
giantsfan is on a distinguished road

giantsfan's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a lift yet but I have a locker and all terrain tires. Is it possible to do this trail?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
I'm dropping the hammer
Bawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really nice

Never been, but from what I can see, the camp grounds are easy to get to. I'm sure there are trails with varying difficulties.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
giantsfan is on a distinguished road

giantsfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawlzdeep View Post
Never been, but from what I can see, the camp grounds are easy to get to. I'm sure there are trails with varying difficulties.
Fasho than I'm definitely down.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
GHOSTFJ will become famous soon enoughGHOSTFJ will become famous soon enough

GHOSTFJ's Tacoma Gallery
That area is easy as long as you stay away from the Snake Lake OHV trail. That trail is very steep, tippy and tight. Going downhill is easier than uphill on the trail but be very cautious of the steep drop offs, if going uphill the trail will be very hard without a winch equipped rig. Loose rocks and steep climbs await. Lockers, sliders and 33"/35" tires recommended. The trail into the 4x4 campgrounds along Gold Lake are easy going, saw a outback get thru but he was a idiot and ended smashing his engine oil pan. Good fun trails in area and great scenery. Give it that I have not been in over 2 years, trail conditions prob have changed some.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
I'm dropping the hammer

GHOSTFJ- thanks for the inside look man. So we can count you in right?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
GHOSTFJ will become famous soon enoughGHOSTFJ will become famous soon enough

GHOSTFJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawlzdeep View Post
GHOSTFJ- thanks for the inside look man. So we can count you in right?
I would love to tag along with you guys but I sold my FJC and I am still looking for another rig, a FJZ80. My brother has a 1st GEN 4R but I think we need to get it running properly as it seems to have a transmission issue. You guys will have a blast in that area. Check out upper and lower salmon lake, little deer lake, bunch of abandoned mines and if you want a once in a life time view, head up into the sierra buttes lookout tower but those afraid of heights be warned. Really good fishing as well. The book, " Guide to Northern California backroads and 4-wheel drive trails" by Charles A. Wells, gives very good info and GPS points for trails in the area.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
I'm dropping the hammer

I'll look that up. And thanks again man.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
I'm dropping the hammer

Here's my list of supplies for a normal camping trip:
-tent
-air mattress
-sleeping bag x2
-chair
-fire starter:flamethrwoer2:
-chainsaw
-shovel
-fold-out grill
-pots/pans
-utensils
-lantern
-fishing gear:fishing:
-bug spray
-extra clothes/thermals:smow:
-toiletries
-case of water
-cooler of food and yummy drink
-boom boom sticks:hunter:
and dog food for the dog

Gonna bring an extra 5gal gas can on this run. Bowman trip we were all on 1/2 tank when we hit the camp site.

miss anything?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
TriageBAE is a splendid one to beholdTriageBAE is a splendid one to beholdTriageBAE is a splendid one to beholdTriageBAE is a splendid one to beholdTriageBAE is a splendid one to beholdTriageBAE is a splendid one to beholdTriageBAE is a splendid one to behold

Army: JSOC - 173d Airborne Infantry Senior Line Medic - 25th ID Flight Medic
Name: Robert
TriageBAE's Tacoma Gallery
I was just up in that area....Couldn't make it to Gold Lake, the main road was snowed out (I tried). The day I left (Friday 04/19) they plowed Gold Lake Hwy, so you should be good. I saw a bunch of Jeeps heading to the OHV Campground while we were driving out.

We ended up staying by Lower Sardine. We fished Packer Lake and did real well at Lower Sardine. Upper Sardine was real nice for scenery , but tight turn around if you have a lot of rigs.

Lower Sardine

Upper Sardine
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
I'm dropping the hammer

Good lookin truck man! I'm gonna head out there tomorrow or Sat to check it out. The OP redwolf3 from YT went up there a week ago and had pretty much the same results. I hope the snow is melting. There's no way it's gonna snow again. Even if it does we can just do the last snow run!

It's still a GO one way or the other. I don't mind snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G3weBqpJj4
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Mugambo is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Mugambo's Tacoma Gallery
I go up to Gold Lake quite a lot during the summer. I think you guys might be jumping the gun a bit by trying to get up there before Memorial Day weekend. The road is normally snowed in and not plowed until around then. I'm not saying you can't do it just maybe a good idea to call and ask about the conditions first. (530)836-2575 Last year they gave me a pretty good idea as to when it was do able.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
I'm dropping the hammer

Snow should not be a problem next week. Everything is melting fast. The first camp ground where the nice rest rooms and boat slip has some very small patches of snow. I attempted the trail to Squaw Lake but didn't feel like airing down and all. So I was stopped at the second little patch of snow which was only 6" at the most. We didn't push too far, my buddy needed to be home for dinner, you can make fun of him when he shows up in his TrailBlazer SS (he could have made it to the trail head in that today). All his fault or I would have done a lot more exploring and probably stayed the night.

Here's the pics you've been waiting for

Bat Dog!

There's the snow you were worried about

I made it up over that first patch. Bet this is all gone by next weekend.

Another thing everyone should bring that was not mentioned is gas cans. There is gas "locally" for $4.30 but it would save on unnecessary gas runs. If you got em bring em, if not oh well. The drive up there is pretty slow once you get on HWY 49. Took me 2hrs from Penn Valley (75mi) and almost half a tank. So worth it though! The area is amazing.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Wiskid1
wiskid1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: USS Mt. Hood AE-29
Name: Robert
wiskid1's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like fun...but I had a bad experience once in snow and my Durango 4X4...traveling alone, exploring and got pretty well stuck... and had to dig out, but now a '12 Taco is gettin ready to get out again. But not in the snow. I'll keep checking back when a plan is in place to head there in better conditions...cold is fine...snow sucks. If you guys go, have fun and be Safe.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
I'm dropping the hammer

New vid
" target="_blank">
Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Forestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Forestfire's Tacoma Gallery
Jon, I am going to try to make this trip. I live in Penn Valley also so maybe we could caravan up. I would have to leave Saturday afternoon due to work on Sunday. I also work for the Tahoe so I will grab a campfire permit this week.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to come. I'll plan on coming.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
Forestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Forestfire's Tacoma Gallery
Max, I joined the Yota Tech forum today to talk the folks going (I dont think they are checking TW). It would be cool to see you up there. Im planning on leaving my side of the hill around noon on Friday and hoping to be in around 2. I know they said if everyone could bring some firewood that would help other than that everyone is doing their own thing for meals.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
I'm dropping the hammer

Bring them Yotas! Redwolf3 (OP), havingfun, and myself will be at Raley's in Grass Valley at 9:30 Fri morning and hope to be gassed up and on the road by 10-10:15. CB ch 13.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Next time you all do this, I would really like to go. I make it up to Downieville a few times every summer to mtb and would really like to check out more of the area. Have a fun and safe trip!