Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Bodie Run-planning thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bodie Run-planning thread

I am wanting to setup a run to Bodie, Ca and areas north to Tahoe.

Date: Hoping for Labor day weekend would be a 3-4 day trip.
Basic Outline:

Day One

Staging in Oakdale, Ca meet and greet. At 7:00 am and we would need to be moving by 8 am. Would travel over Sonora Pass (hwy 108). Then proceed to Bridgeport, Ca where we could fuel up and get some last minute supply's. Should arrive before noon.

Then we could set out to Masonic (an abandoned mining camp) then travel south to Bodie (state hist. park, ghost town). We could spend a few hours here depending on the time, I like to hit up Aurora, Nv (mining camp) time allowing.

We could then camp up at Twin Lakes, west of Bridgeport.

Day Two

We could Check out the Bodie Hills in the morning. And then would like to Head north up Hwy. 395 to Hwy. 89 & Hwy. 395 Junction (about a 1 hr drive) and head up Monitor Pass to Loupe Canyon. And we could run the Barney Riley trail and explore the catacomb of trails in the area. We could camp in the area, will be undeveloped and will defiantly be ruffing it.

Day Three

Day three is very open, we could split up and do some fishing on the East Fork of the Carson River, Or we could do some more exploring the trails. We could also go over too Virginia City or Lake Tahoe. We could find another campground where ever we head. I figured this could be the wives or Gf's day.

Day Four

Say our goodbyes and head home, we could caravan back to the valley down Hwy. 50 or Hwy 88.

This is a very ruff idea for this trip and is very open to input and changes. I am by no means a expert of the Bodie area and someone familiar with this area would be great.

Requirements

4 wheel drive is a plus but a capable driver with a prerunner with a locker would be ok. Recovery points front and rear of vehicle (stock ok). Enough food and water for planned days plus 2 extra days for every person. Extra fuel (gas cans). Spare tire. Recovery straps 30 ft preferred, shackles. First aid kit. Basic map and or GPS. CB or two radio; cell service is very rare. Basic necessities like toiletries, clothes. Also a way to air tires back up, IE air compressor or tank.

Bodie info

Barney Riley info

Barney riley is 4wd only or recommend but there is room to park trucks that don't want to attempt the trail, and could ride with others.

I don't want this to be a Norcal only event, would like for Nevada guys to join us at bodie, and would love for some Socal guys to come with us.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Lemme think on that one. I'm in Gardneville, NV. That would be a cool trip. The Aurora mine is still active, so can't get too close, but still several old buildings & crap to see lower in the valley. Just hunted near Masonic (NV side, so didn't go to the town) Could set you up with a place for obsideon (sp?). I usually don't 4X just to 4X, I hunt, fish, mine. Could set up with the local 4x4 club guys...almost all Jeeps, but a couple Toys.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
kmillan is on a distinguished road

kmillan's Tacoma Gallery
Would a prerunner with 9" lift be okay?

Sounds like a pretty good time man, long drive for me but sounds like it would be well worth it. I'll try and make it
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmillan View Post
Would a prerunner with 9" lift be okay?

Sounds like a pretty good time man, long drive for me but sounds like it would be well worth it. I'll try and make it
As long as it is blue, and has street tires and no locker it would rule.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
NorCal Rock Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Lemme think on that one. I'm in Gardneville, NV. That would be a cool trip. The Aurora mine is still active, so can't get too close, but still several old buildings & crap to see lower in the valley. Just hunted near Masonic (NV side, so didn't go to the town) Could set you up with a place for obsideon (sp?). I usually don't 4X just to 4X, I hunt, fish, mine. Could set up with the local 4x4 club guys...almost all Jeeps, but a couple Toys.
That sounds really good, I really hope to get a least a dozen rigs, not only yota this would be a jeep friendly run, if they can hang.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #6

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Red Taco View Post
That sounds really good, I really hope to get a least a dozen rigs, not only yota this would be a jeep friendly run, if they can hang.
Uhh, hang? They're packin 34's-36's, dana 60's & Red Man. They can hang. Some are just on the edge of whether or not to trailer their rigs to get to the rox. I'm sure my rig (factory) won't hang w/ them. Been waitin for a trip w/ them that has bypasses.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
NorCal Rock Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Uhh, hang? They're packin 34's-36's, dana 60's & Red Man. They can hang. Some are just on the edge of whether or not to trailer their rigs to get to the rox. I'm sure my rig (factory) won't hang w/ them. Been waitin for a trip w/ them that has bypasses.
I was really joking about the hanging part, we won't be getting to crazy cause I will have have my taco and not my 89. But it is always fun to watch em do some crazy stuff. But my taco like the crazy stuff too. well maybe a little crazy.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Carone will become famous soon enoughCarone will become famous soon enough
Carone's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Carone
that sounds awesome leme know the date
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I would totally be down if I was a little older.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #10

kmillan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
I would totally be down if I was a little older.
Why does it matter? I'm only 18, possibly 19 depending on when the meet is, and I'm planning on being there
Old 02-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Still living at home...mom wouldn't let me.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #12

kmillan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Still living at home...mom wouldn't let me.
Ha yeah so am I, but I'm outta here in a few months
Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
tgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura about
tgr8st's Tacoma Gallery
I'm down! Oh wait, no 9" lifts with street tires and no locker.....shitty

Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
NorCal Rock Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr8st View Post
I'm down! Oh wait, no 9" lifts with street tires and no locker.....shitty

If you want to roll, I will have my strap again.

Word to wise for everyone, watch for the locals.\/\/\/\/

Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #16
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
hey i might be willing.....im a total neub but i got start some where and why not go with pros.......
Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
NorCal Rock Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fahrenheit View Post
hey i might be willing.....im a total neub but i got start some where and why not go with pros.......
This isn't gonna be hardcore wheelin trip, mostly just exploring the back country on decent roads. Barney Riley will be the only challenging part of the whole trip. And I really don't expect it to bed all that bad.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
ok cool well count me in!!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #20

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
If I don't draw-out for an antelope, I'll seriously consider it. Might be wheelin/hunting a bit futhur north.