Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

New job with Contra Costa County, need ideas for where to live

Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Señor Fresco
DannyBFresco is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
DannyBFresco's Tacoma Gallery
New job with Contra Costa County, need ideas for where to live

Hey dudes, so as the title says I just got a job with Contra Costa County and will be working in Martinez. Being from Los Angeles, I have zero experience with the local cities in the area and would be greatly appreciative of your input on good places to rent a house. I've seen a lot in Pittsburgh, Antioch, and San Pablo. Any help is good help and much appreciated!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Señor Fresco

I start August 19th too so the sooner the better
Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Firstaco 07 has a spectacular aura aboutFirstaco 07 has a spectacular aura about
Firstaco 07's Tacoma Gallery
I live close to there. Let me know if you have specific questions. whats the job? just curious cause I know few ppl who work for county
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Señor Fresco

Cool thanks I'll pm you! I'm starting as a Planner I with the Dept. of Conservation & Development
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i vote for Concord. decent city. i live here. i can make a quick run to Martinez in 10 mins. heck, using city streets i can ride my bike to where you will work.

there are some funky parts, so careful. you get an apartment near downtown and it wont suck. walnut creek is just the opposite direction and for a young guy..lots of hot women.

congrats on the new job!! well done..

civil engineering grad?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
Id vote for Concord as well. Good city with enough going for it and not dangerous. Just dont go to certain areas and will be fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Señor Fresco

Thanks aficianado & LTDSC! Appreciate the support. Concord is definitely a top pick for me right now, but having a 45 pound dog has been making it a little hard too...guess I should've mentioned it

Edit: @aficianado not civil engineering, I did city planning & real estate development at USC
Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Señor Fresco

Any thoughts on Antioch? There's a lot of dog-friendly places there
Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
My Parent's-In-Law live in Walnut Creek, its a pretty nice area! My Father-in-law works in Martinez as well...says its a super short drive for him in the mornings
Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBFresco View Post
Any thoughts on Antioch? There's a lot of dog-friendly places there
Man.

Tough call. Hwy 4 is arguably the worst commute in the Bay Area. But a dog changes everything. Antioch got hit hard in the economy. There are some rough hoods.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Señor Fresco

@VolcomTacoma2011 thanks! and yeah it was really nice when i stopped by in Walnut Creek, but I think it's a little too expensive for my public service job lol

@aficianado damn that sucks...I was hoping to get away from traffic when I move from LA lol. Sucks it got hit so badly tho...seems like some decent places to live
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Señor Fresco

I've found quite a few more places that just went on the market in Concord and Martinez. Should be out there in the bay area very soon!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
pogifresh is on a distinguished road
pogifresh's Tacoma Gallery
if you stick to Antioch on the border of brentwood, you should be good it's pretty nice, my parents just stole a house on short sale there for $150k, their mortgage is like $600 a month.. haha.. but yeah, hwy 4 sucks... concord is probably the best deal as far as neighborhood quality and price.. anything west / more into the bay (walnut creek, moraga, etc.) will likely cost a pretty penny.. good luck
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
tam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tam
tam's Tacoma Gallery
If you're still looking you could always look at Pinole or Hercules area as well. Crockett and Rodeo are other options and close to Hwy 4 as well.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Señor Fresco

Thanks guys! Just sealed the deal on a place in Martinez 1.5 miles from my office. It's the bottom floor of a two-story house converted into two separate units, and it's near the top of a hill with some great views. The guy who lives upstairs seems pretty cool too...has a 2500 ram, a boat and 2 snowmobiles

Here's a pic of the view:

My cousin (right) and I (left) intended to rep the Dodgers when I came up to seal the deal on the property...but we ended up wearing the exact same thing lol
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Señor Fresco

Moved into the new place in Martinez today, and i've already seen some sick ass Tacos! Sucks I missed the mod day 5 friggin days ago but I'm still stoked to meet you guys! Lets get some drinks or go wheeling or somethin!