Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

need advice on a new battery...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
need advice on a new battery...

So the oem battery in my 2009 Tacoma is finally on its last leg. I noticed it a couple weeks ago that the start up wasn't as smooth as before. After my truck sat unused for 6 days, got in it this morning and it almost didn't start. After driving for a while and parking, I tried to start the engine again and it started right up. Parked for 10 hours and then was hard to start again.

Anyone know of a good place in the bay area (prefer close to SF) that knows what their talking about in terms of batteries? I'm leaning toward the diehard platnuim as I write this but want to at least check out what else is avalible.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Believe it or not, most are made by only 1-2 companies, exide corp being one of them.

In other words a Diehard might be the same maker as Everlast etc, those places have no factory to make batteries. I'm sure the diehard is as good as any, so it just becomes a price game for the same 60 or72 months, CCA and reserve.

Many times you will even find the name of the company that made the battery for them still on the battery somewhere. Johnson controls makes my oem Toyota battery for example. At that rate any Costco or battery sale could be just as good as any other auto shop.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
NutsTacoma is on a distinguished road

NutsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Performance- winch,audio,lights,accessories,etc.
Optima,Odyssey,Diehard Platnuim.

Normal use- interstate,duralast,carquest.

I personally have used the inerstate,carquest,and optima redtop.
Just make sure you charge it before you install, use the 2 amp setting to top the battery off it will help you get the maximum life out of the battery.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Diehard Platinum from Sears for $220 back in January. I use a lot of accessories and tow so its worth every penny.

I've heard that Optima quality has gone down hill, so I went with the DieHard platinum. It has the best warranty and best reviews I could find for a consumer available car battery.

My buddy has had a duralast battery die on him every year for 3 years. Warranty at autozone covers it every time, but a car battery you want dependability. Spend the $$$ on it.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I got my optima for $175 iirc. no problems even in the mountains/winter, red top model.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
For some tips on buying a replacement battery, please see Section 7 in the Car and Deep Cycle Batter FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from Optima, they are no longer that awesome.

Diehard Platinum are the same as the Odyssey Batteries, that is the best.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
There's always Costco.

However, it sounds like you don't have the opportunity to drive your truck as much as you should. In that case, you should hook it up to a charger or battery tender. The deep discharges your battery is getting from not being topped up weekly or sooner is doing a lot of wear and tear on it.

The other choice is a capacitor based battery like from maxwell (or build your own), those lose charge quickly and cost a pretty penny, but they're super fast to charge, it will likely outlive your vehicle and the next one you install it into.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
I got costco, can't beat that 8 and a half year warranty
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4r4life View Post
I got costco, can't beat that 8 and a half year warranty
^^this.

now that i'm older and cheaper..i realize i am not the backcountry explorer i thought i was. i am reachable by AAA 98% of the time. Costco doesnt carry our group size for a 2006. sucks.

but i think SAMS does. i bought my old lady neighbor a costco battery for her lancer. it was $70. for that kinda money, you can get 3, before you get to Sears Platinum money.

i am going with a box store battery. saving the money.

the OEM battery isnt anything special..and it lasted 7 years!!

for the record, my 2006 battery is still kicking ass!!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
^^this.

now that i'm older and cheaper..i realize i am not the backcountry explorer i thought i was. i am reachable by AAA 98% of the time. Costco doesnt carry our group size for a 2006. sucks.

but i think SAMS does. i bought my old lady neighbor a costco battery for her lancer. it was $70. for that kinda money, you can get 3, before you get to Sears Platinum money.

i am going with a box store battery. saving the money.

the OEM battery isnt anything special..and it lasted 7 years!!

for the record, my 2006 battery is still kicking ass!!
If you really don't go wheeling much and don't use much of your battery much when you do, a 24F should fit just fine and that's available at costco. It should have same if not better CCA but only has a 19% hit in capacity. (135minutes vs 165 minutes)

I would comfortably change out my 27f for a 24f. But then again, I'd probably get two 24Fs and another set of batteries for my bed since I do use my batteries up. However I'd use an isolator to keep my deep cyclers separated from my startup battery.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
hawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hawker25's Tacoma Gallery
see lots of hate on optima lately, not sure why. Anybody owned a few and had lots of problems cause all I ever hear is second hand stuff like my buddies buddies type of crap. I have a yellow top on my 08 that is 3 years old. Powers winch, lights and all kinds of other stuff. Have left all cabin lights on, on accident over night and still started right up. Family lives in leadville, co and i have started this truck in -30 degree F with no problems multiple times after sitting more 12 hours or more. Truck see multiple 100 degree F days in the summer too and has never failed me.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i bought an optima. for my chevy truck. the truck battery kept dying. like something was left on..for weeks i chased the drain. one fuse at a time..etc. kept recharging the optima. i gave up and took the truck to the dealer. he told me i had a bad section of my wiring harness and took $300 of my money to build me a new one. took the truck home, and was happy.

next morning. brrrriippp.. dead battery! i gave up and took the optima back (pep boys) and had them test it, recharge it. they hook it up and tell me it is okay and proceed to charge it up. i leave to buy lunch. come back later, and the guy said..right when it was about to get full charge..it just crapped out. he said something was very weird about the battery. just sitting on the counter, if you test the volts..it was just trickle off. the volt meter would just tick down. he offered me a new optima..but i got my cash back.

dumped in a regular cheap battery and never had another issue. fuck!! all that time, effort..the money. never again.

on the flip side, i dug an early optima out of our early bronco to start my mom's car. i bet that battery was 11 years old. it started the car!! what a beast. this optima was when they first came on the scene. late 80's. amazing battery.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Sears or for $ savings costco.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 is still running the stock battery. I've let my truck sit for a few weeks in an Alaska winter (temps in the -20 to -30 area) and it started right up when I came back. I have to agree that it's not always about name branding. We could sit here and go story for story on why to go Costco or Optima but it really comes down to what you want to spend and what you are using it for/ environment it's in. I personally will be headed to Costco or SAMs for my next one.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Oh you could also look at using a battery conditioner. Did that to a friends car battery that kept losing juice and he has had zero problems since then.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a Yellow top Optima battery that he's been using for around 6yrs now. The top of the battery is starting to get wavy so we think that it's about to go bad.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a battery when its going to last just as long as any $60 unit.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of Optima hate because they are no longer the battery they were. My observation was based on my own personal experience with them dying and not lasting. Same with my wheeling buddies.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
I think i'm going to pick up a duralast gold tomorrow morning. Decent warranty and they have the 27f that will an exact fit.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Best battery and I know I will catch crap for it. But my mustang's original motorcraft battery. Same battery from the day it rolled off the factory floor to the day I traded it in. Ran my HID's upgraded stereo and all my other little goodies and never ever failed me. Car was built in winter of 04 sold it in 2013. I have owned optima yellow and red top never had an issue just only lasted around 2 years each. I'm assuming the battery in the tacoma is the original from the factory and still feels strong. So we will see.