Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Tires

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
whonoez has a spectacular aura aboutwhonoez has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jay
whonoez's Tacoma Gallery
Tires

What tires are you guys running on your trucks? I'm confused and want some suggestions. I don't off road much, mostly commute which is a 25 mile commute to work and the same back home. Take long drives to Reno/Vegas etc. the tires I really want are the Nitto Trail Grapplers (285/65/18). Any input would be great. I ask here because I'm from Fairfield and alot of you guys are pretty close so you would know the types of weather conditions I have to go thru.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
I got 285 Trail Grapplers, they look amazing, kick ass off road, and are good on the street for a mud tire.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Your question is kinda vague. You're asking for a tire suggestion, saying you like a mud terrain tire, but do alot of highway driving. Usually those two don't go together in most peoples minds. Maybe for looks?

I have put 60K miles on a set of 285/70/17 BFG M/T KM2's and I loved them. I just got ahold of a set of 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country M/T's and so far am loving them as well.

I'm recommending both for highway driving. Tacoma's usually get pretty good tire mileage due to being a light truck. The BFG KM2's are amazing in the snow, have been through snow over my hood without too much issue... they didn't get me out of the ditch I found by being stupid but thats not the tires fault

I can't say from experience on the Toyo's yet, they're alot stiffer tread though and likely wont have the same performance off road on slippery surfaces.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
It's all opinion. I'm a fan of the BFG All Terrain K/O's. Great wear, great on/off highway traction and they are a tire that started the All Terrain category of tires!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
dph473 is on a distinguished road
dph473's Tacoma Gallery
I commute the same distance you do one-way each day to work. I drive all freeway and what little off-road I encounter is some light snow or loose gravel on mild terrain. I chose Continental CrossContact LX20 with Eco-Plus. It's a very quiet tire and smooth ride for what I use the truck for.
If you actually do real off-road driving, don't buy this tire.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
It's been stated but I'll say it again...that's a really aggressive tire for mostly highway.

I bought my truck last december and it came with General Grabber AW tires. They work pretty well on the road. For off road and the kind of off road I do they actually do okay, but not great. They've lost a lot of lugs and I've gotten one flat on gravel.

I'm going to where them down and then get something better next year. I'm going to go with a taller skinny tire, but not super tall..like a 235 85 R16. I think any taller and I'd be looking at re gearing. I have other hobbies that cost a lot. Maybe something like a General Gapper AT2 or BFG AT. That way I still have a more aggressive tire that gives me more pounds per square inch = more traction and it's not super heavy obliterating my mpgs.

I'm constantly looking at other truck's tires. My girlfriend is always looking at me funny when I'm staring at a tire up close on some else's truck.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
FWIW I was still able to get 19mpg highway on the KM2's. Forgot to mention that. Average usually around 17 though.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
If your looking for an "aggressive" style tire, but good for on road conditions and off road then I'd say go with Duratracs. I don't speak from experience but they are the most aggressive all terrain tire and from what I've read they do well with "light" off road trails. I'd go that route if your looking for an aggressive tire that does well on pavement. Again, this is only from my research and findings.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
whonoez has a spectacular aura aboutwhonoez has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jay
whonoez's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input TW members. Still debating tho
Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Had 285 toyos before my 12.50s. Had them for 5 years, sold them(a year ago) and they're still being ran on a 2nd gen tacoma. Great offroad, good on road too. Love them, my dad and I are both on our second set and hopefully a third on another truck late this year.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
265 75 16 is the general consensus here with no lift. Basically you can go with any AT tire from there. No rubbing issues at all running that size
Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
265 75 16 is the general consensus here with no lift. Basically you can go with any AT tire from there. No rubbing issues at all running that size
I have Duratracs in that tire size and I had to removed the front mudguards (small one on front of the wheel well and the regular one on the back of the wheel well) while I was still on stock suspension. It would rub the guards with the front wheels at full lock just sitting on level ground and not driving. I do get 17-18 MPG highway with the duratracs and my current armor set up (just checked it today on a long highway trip)

The tire size he stated (285/65/18) are wider and are about 1" longer in diameter so I would guess they would rub pretty bad with a stock suspension.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
THIS!