1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nevada

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by Echodawg, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Oct 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    Echodawg

Echodawg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and Things!
    I posted this in the Southwest region but figured I'd post here as well to see if any of you Nor Cal guys have any info:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any good backcountry camping areas in northwest Nevada? I live in the bay area and almost every year my wife, daughters and I take a trip down to Death Valley for some desert exploration. Over the years the drive down there is such a pain that I was thinking of staying a bit closer to home and exploring western / northwestern Nevada. I'd be rolling in through Lake Tahoe so maybe no more then an hour out of there. We don't stay in campgrounds but looking for some backcountry desert areas for primitive camping, exploring maybe old mining area. For anyone that knows the area can anyone suggest anything worthwhile?

2. Oct 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    slolane

slolane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chelan, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB TRD OR
    Also interested.

3. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Flip Dog

Flip Dog Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Super White 4x4
    Barney Riley has that high desert feel to it, just outside of Markleeville. There lots of room to explore and are tons of random trails to follow, lots of them include old mines and cool rusty stuff. The trail down to the hot tubs is really beautiful, and challenging at times. One remarkable spot is when you pass through the aspen belt, if you can time it right in the fall the leaves are the most vibrant yellow. The window of opportunity is getting small this year as the CHP will be closing the road near the first snowfall. Not far from the Kirkwood and South Lake Tahoe, once you get down the hot tubs the Nevada state line is only about a mile from there.

Other than that, my suggestion is the ghost town of Body. Got to check that out if, still California but got that eastern Sierra High dessert feel for it. I haven't camped out there but I am sure the is some primitive camping and some cool dirt trails. Cant suggest anything right now, I would have to refer to my book. There is a good one out there I'll look up the title for you. Its been with me on many a travel and great for exploring.

Sorry I know that isn't much help with the Nevada deal, but I hold the Eastern Sierra's close to my heart.

4. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
  5. Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Echodawg

Echodawg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and Things!
    Thanks guys for the info, I'll look into it.

Products Discussed in

To Top