Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

1988 Toyota Pickup - Stolen

Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #81
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
So here's my idea, he has a manual truck and coming up with a kill switch that is really hard to find and is not a liability to the truck while it's running is the goal.

It's an 88, not sure if it's a distributor or just and ignition module but here goes.

With a manual, just disabling the starter coil won't work as the truck can still be push started. So I am thinking of tracking down part of the ignition system, the power to the ignition coil maybe? Interrupt that circuit, install a suitably amped relay and run a wire into the cab for a switch? Ideas? has to be something that is A: Not easy to see and B: Not quick and easy to bypass.
With the switch my original idea with an automatic and interrupting the starter coil is to install a magnetic switch in the center console on my 2nd gen underneath the coin tray. In order to start the truck you would have to put a magnet in the coin tray to close the circuit on the switch. Problem is that he has a manual and that won't work. The other problem is that if you interrupt the ignition coil, the magnet must stay in place for the truck to run and the coin tray idea doesn't sound like the best way to do this. It would have to be something where the magnet is held in place until you pull it out. IDK, a discreet slot of some kind? Something, either way, the idea is that it would be a switch but not the type of switch a thief might look for and if the switch itself is mounted in a fairly inaccessible place then it will be pretty hard to find with out tearing the dash apart which won't happen because who in hell would think of looking for a magnetic switch, mounted under the speedo bezel that is tapped into the ignition circuit? I'm thinking that if a thief can't get the truck started under a minute or two tops, he's walking away.
fuel pump kill switch is easiest fix on old manual cars. Even if you bump start it the car would grumble maybe one time and starve, even if hotwired. You simply put a fog lamp switch or something that doesn't even resemble anything important. You could put it in dash, under seat, even in plain sight if you do a small discreet one. Interrupt one wire, and its done.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #82
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
fuel pump kill switch is easiest fix on old manual cars. Even if you bump start it the car would grumble maybe one time and starve, even if hotwired. You simply put a fog lamp switch or something that doesn't even resemble anything important. You could put it in dash, under seat, even in plain sight if you do a small discreet one. Interrupt one wire, and its done.
hmmmm, that's not a bad idea
Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #83
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
some great ideas!

I was thinking, for the fuel pump cutoff, get maybe 6, 3 way switches in a row, and make some special combination of positions that all 6 have to be in for the circuit to complete?? Would be pretty funny too every time you get back in, you would feel like your powering up Doc Browns DeLorean.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #84
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RadiantRed View Post
some great ideas!

I was thinking, for the fuel pump cutoff, get maybe 6, 3 way switches in a row, and make some special combination of positions that all 6 have to be in for the circuit to complete?? Would be pretty funny too every time you get back in, you would feel like your powering up Doc Browns DeLorean.

lol, either way, I think we could figure out a way to make it so that you and only you can make that truck move
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 AM   #85
1967FB is on a distinguished road
1967FB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RadiantRed View Post
some great ideas!

Glad to hear it was found. That is a sharp, well cared for rig! I had an '86 that I loved! It was a great truck that was traded for a 94 4Runner and that for a 08 Tacoma TRD Sport DC. There are far too many stolen vehicles of all sorts for them to be tow jobs. NICB says only about 5-10% might involve towing. Many cars have to be flat-bedded anymore, making it too noisy to use a tow rig. I had a Ravelco put on mine very soon after I bought it. I am out in the boonies a lot and can' trust cell phone or Lo-Jack to have service...and there are jammers available for less than $200 that take out these systems completely, GPS, too. Alarms...when was the last time you called the police about an alarm going off. Check out the testimonials at www.Ravelco.com and see what I mean. It will certainly work on yours and the tech comes to you to install. Easy to use, too, with no way to bypass it. No plug, no go. Even a tech can't get a key for it after it is installed, only you direct from the manufacturer. Lifetime warranty. Best wishes on keeping your truck where you parked it in the future!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #86
dapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: David
dapetik's Tacoma Gallery
They should enact a "hate crime" type law that carries extra punishment for people molesting irreplaceable vehicles. Also tired of seeing Hollywood destroy classic cars in films