Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Feeler for a Norcal Death Valley Trip

View Poll Results: Are you interested in going?
Hell yes. County me in! 6 35.29%
Nope. No way. I'm too scared. 2 11.76%
January or February work for me. 2 11.76%
February or March are better. 3 17.65%
March or April spin my crank. 6 35.29%
April or May float my boat. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Count me in. Most likely would be myself and the misses... We're pretty open as long as we know in advance what time off we'll need!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Can this trip be done in a stock truck?
Uhhhh I kinda want somewhat of good wheeling, especially if I'm driving 10 hours to get there lol. Ian!!! Let's get a good route
Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I want to check out the high clearance trails too.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
BayAreaRunner has a spectacular aura aboutBayAreaRunner has a spectacular aura about

BayAreaRunner's Tacoma Gallery
never been to DV before but as far as camp site, do we just camp as we go on the trails or there's an area for camp spot.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Uhhhh I kinda want somewhat of good wheeling, especially if I'm driving 10 hours to get there lol. Ian!!! Let's get a good route
We could base camp it. I'd be happy just to be out there and can help make some cheese bread.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
There are several established sites. In the 'valley' proper, Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek are the two biggies. Some of the primitive sites are closed due to road damage (from the recent floods). There are other options as well.

Here' a list of the established sites.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #27
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I can commit to a date but I'm definitely down if I'm free, I'll have to wait till the dates get closer. I've never been but always wanted to go.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming 2 of the 3 or 4 days will be Sat & Sun, yea?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some info from 2009. It's a collection of information on Death Valley Off-Road Adventures.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta think we should go to the Racetrack and if we don't get a bunch more washouts over the winter we should be able to plot out some fun routes
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #31

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
The ideal way would be to meet up in Lone Pine then take Saline Valley into the park. Stopping at the Race Track. A lot of the route depends on the road conditions.

There are some things I'd like to see that aren't necessarily along hard 4x4 roads. Mostly the old mines & towns. There are definitely hard spots but I would probably call this more of an overland trip.

Maybe there's a way to allow for both and meet up at some point?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
The ideal way would be to meet up in Lone Pine then take Saline Valley into the park. Stopping at the Race Track. A lot of the route depends on the road conditions.

There are some things I'd like to see that aren't necessarily along hard 4x4 roads. Mostly the old mines & towns. There are definitely hard spots but I would probably call this more of an overland trip.

I should think so, If we go earlier, Tioga may not be open to get there from the north, may be easier to hit 395 and come up from the south?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #33
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That sound good to me, I like a mix. Nothing I like more then just exploring!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #34

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I should think so, If we go earlier, Tioga may not be open to get there from the north, may be easier to hit 395 and come up from the south?
It's an awesome drive through the kern river valley, 178.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
It's an awesome drive through the kern river valley, 178.
yeah, there's an historical Japanese internment camp site called Manzanar along that route I've wanted to visit.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #36

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tioga definitely won't be open.

The routes are either across the Sierra (80 or 50) or from the South, 178. Then 395 South or North to Lone Pine and Saline Valley Road. 178 goes into the park as well as 190.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #37

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
That'll be a long drive.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #38
Banned
Quote:
Tioga definitely won't be open.

The routes are either across the Sierra (80 or 50) or from the South, 178. Then 395 South or North to Lone Pine and Saline Valley Road. 178 goes into the park as well as 190.
A late winter storm could mess up 50, 80 and/or 395 from the north, I would be comin in from the south, i know those roads will be open
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #39
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went to racetrack, the dunes, scotty's castle earlier this year in May. My mall crawler went everywhere we needed to go. Didn't go up any difficult 4x4 trails obiviously, but still, we were able to get to most of the cool stuff. Id be interested to go once you guys decide on dates. It was already hot as fuck in late Apr/May when we went.

Quote:
yeah, there's an historical Japanese internment camp site called Manzanar along that route I've wanted to visit.
My dad and grandparents didnt like it to much when they were there.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
I went to racetrack, the dunes, scotty's castle earlier this year in May. My mall crawler went everywhere we needed to go. Didn't go up any difficult 4x4 trails obiviously, but still, we were able to get to most of the cool stuff. Id be interested to go once you guys decide on dates. It was already hot as fuck in late Apr/May when we went.

My dad and grandparents didnt like it to much when they were there.
I'll bet they didn't like it at all

Products Discussed in this Thread