Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Feeler for a Norcal Death Valley Trip

View Poll Results: Are you interested in going?
Hell yes. County me in! 6 35.29%
Nope. No way. I'm too scared. 2 11.76%
January or February work for me. 2 11.76%
February or March are better. 3 17.65%
March or April spin my crank. 6 35.29%
April or May float my boat. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
The ideal way would be to meet up in Lone Pine then take Saline Valley into the park. Stopping at the Race Track. A lot of the route depends on the road conditions.

There are some things I'd like to see that aren't necessarily along hard 4x4 roads. Mostly the old mines & towns. There are definitely hard spots but I would probably call this more of an overland trip.

Maybe there's a way to allow for both and meet up at some point?

Ian, can you export your route as either GPX or KML files?

Gaia GPS accepts both through their web interface and then I can download the points to my app on my phone.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #42
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I'll bet they didn't like it at all

All kidding aside, we stopped by there on our way back from our trip and there was a shitload of people there. We pulled off to go inside, but I changed my mind. There were a couple of people traveling with us I didnt know too well, and not everyone was interested in going in. And quite honestly, I thought I would get all emotional and angry and didnt want to ruin the fantastic trip we had just finished. I'd probably be down to go now, though.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #43
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
All kidding aside, we stopped by there on our way back from our trip and there was a shitload of people there. We pulled off to go inside, but I changed my mind. There were a couple of people traveling with us I didnt know too well, and not everyone was interested in going in. And quite honestly, I thought I would get all emotional and angry and didnt want to ruin the fantastic trip we had just finished. I'd probably be down to go now, though.
It's a dark shit stain on America's history and should not be forgotten, a lot of people lost their homes and livelihoods.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #44
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The ideal way would be to meet up in Lone Pine then take Saline Valley into the park. Stopping at the Race Track. A lot of the route depends on the road conditions.

There are some things I'd like to see that aren't necessarily along hard 4x4 roads. Mostly the old mines & towns. There are definitely hard spots but I would probably call this more of an overland trip.

That lone pine visitor center would be a good place to meet up if we do need to. Freshwater pumps, shitters, and huge parking lot.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #45
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
yeah, there's an historical Japanese internment camp site called Manzanar along that route I've wanted to visit.
Manzanar is a pretty powerful place. I've been three times.

Origami offerings.

Those in the camps built a small park. Although it hasn't been restored, you get an idea for what it was and what it meant to the internees.

The camp was quite large. Filled with these barracks and a camouflage net factory. Those in the camps voluntarily contributed to the war effort by making camo nets and growing a significant amount of their own food-you have to admire that given these people lost everything and lived in conditions that were less than comfortable in winter or summer.

This monument sits in the cemetery which is located outside the wire fencing. It's significant in that those who were buried there would at least be free. All but six of those buried have been returned to their families. The priest who ministered to the internees was cremated and his ashes spread in the mountains beyond the camp.

This man was a child in the camp. He was visiting with his wife and he was gracious enough to speak with us. The most powerful thing he said was that life had given his family lemons and they chose to make lemonade. His wife seemed pretty bitter about it (she was a Caucasian woman).

I have learned a lot from my visits and can honestly say it's worth taking the driving tour and spending some time in the visitor center.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #46
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Ian, can you export your route as either GPX or KML files?
When I've set them up, that's what I intend to do.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #47
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
If I can make it I might be able to get my parents, or at least my mom (she's got a 2nd gen dcsb) to come up from San Diego, too. It would actually be a shorter drive for her...
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #48
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

An overland trip would be awesome, its what my rig is set up for. I love exploring old mines and towns.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #49
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in. The best time for me is usually mid month and April is out.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #50
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Damn those pictures are nice! I hope I can make it
Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #51

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
There's also the opportunity to visit Movie Road and see where a lot of the old westerns were made. Views of Mt Whitney too.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #52
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
There is a lot of history in that area that I would like to check out.

Also, the night sky out there is beautiful. I can't think of a more clearer view of the stars than that which I had when stationed out in that area (although I was in the high desert region.)
Old 11-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
BudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBudMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BudMan's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna go! The last few meets have fallen on work days for me, so I haven't been able to meet any of you yet.... Enough notice and I think I can make the DV trip! I just ordered sliders from Jerry, have an OME lift and Light Racing or Camburg UCA's that will be purchased in the next few days. Gonna need to put em to the test . I have always wanted to go explore DV.

My wife is pregnant and due in May . Anything pre-April is great. After that, I'm not sure I should go...
Old 11-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #54
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Well it's a good thing for planning this trip this far out Ian, time to get everything together. Death Valley didn't get it's name by accident, it was named by immigrants looking for an easy way around the sierras, what they found was hell. Undrinkable water and heat like no one had ever seen. Main valley is 110 miles long. Hottest correctly recorded temperature on the planet: Badwater, 134 degrees F. It won't get that hot when we go but it will hit 100 pretty easily during the day. Nowadays, people still die out there and the water is still not safe to drink, plus you don't want to have to buy anything in the valley if you can avoid it, ridiculously expensive. If you have never been to DV, bring water and coolers, lots of it. A grown adult in these conditions should expect to consume about a gallon of water per day. Not that gatorade crap, water. 12v fridges would be handy too if you own one, I will borrow one. Sunblock with an SBF of at least 25,000, chapstick, ladies, bring lots of skin moisturizer, dry does not even begin to describe DV. When the wind blows, it can be like the inside of a giant hair dryer, no lie.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #55
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sounds pretty hardcore!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #56
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
sounds pretty hardcore!
well yeah, more than anything it's a place that demands respect. Folks underestimate the Valley to their peril and it will punish them.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #57

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quick update. I've been checking spots and getting ready to start a GPS track. Nothing yet.

Anyway, I wanted to share a few resources for those of you thinking of going.

California Desert Byways by Tony Huegel

Tony's books are handy guides. He's got a collection of books with some cool trails-handy for the overland traveler.

Death Valley National Park Map, Tom Harrison Maps

Just a good topo map of the park.

Death Valley National Park: A guide to Exploring ..., Falcon Guides

Covers all the various highlights and places to see.

I use a few other maps as well. Mostly the large road atlases for a an overall view of the trip. I sometimes use Garmin's Base Camp to set the GPS route.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #58
n00b

Hey how about Presidents Day weekend in January
Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #59

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Hey how about Presidents Day weekend in January
Hmmm...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #60
God Bless America
Rustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Rustbucket's Tacoma Gallery
I think Eureka Dunes should definitely be included in the route map. The hike up is a little tough, but the view is truly incredible. It is one of those places that puts everything into perspective, and makes you appreciate everything you have.

Products Discussed in this Thread