Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Feeler for a Norcal Death Valley Trip

View Poll Results: Are you interested in going?
Hell yes. County me in! 6 35.29%
Nope. No way. I'm too scared. 2 11.76%
January or February work for me. 2 11.76%
February or March are better. 3 17.65%
March or April spin my crank. 6 35.29%
April or May float my boat. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #61
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Hey how about Presidents Day weekend in January
That's actually a pretty good idea...I might have a club trip planned that weekend but that's the only break I have before March, so it's better to do Death Valley in January than in March, and I can skip the club trip.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #62
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Eureka Dunes is on the list. But, I have been looking at road conditions and they are not good. Ignoring the snow (that will probably be gone). Titus Canyon, Saline Valley, Emigrant Canyon, Panamint Valley, Twenty Mule Team, West Side Road, Willdrose Road and some backcountry roads are closed.

Conditions will change over the next month or so but I'm kinda bummed by all the closures. Some of the cool stuff might not be doable.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #63
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Eureka Dunes is on the list. But, I have been looking at road conditions and they are not good. Ignoring the snow (that will probably be gone). Titus Canyon, Saline Valley, Emigrant Canyon, Panamint Valley, Twenty Mule Team, West Side Road, Willdrose Road and some backcountry roads are closed.

Conditions will change over the next month or so but I'm kinda bummed by all the closures. Some of the cool stuff might not be doable.
we could very well end up waiting till march april anyway Ian
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #64
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
we could very well end up waiting till march april anyway Ian
If we plan for spring break, MJ won't have an excuse to not come, and if I get a job, I might have a lift so I won't have to bum a ride.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #65
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd.

I overnighted on the valley floor over new years eve a few years back. Daytime in the 70s - very pleasant - overnight low in the 40s. But there was snow on the surrounding mountain ranges - so don't necessarily plan to do the mountain passes as 4x4 routes if you visit in December/January/February.

I have other plans for spring break easter week - a solo trip with my 16 year old middle son; but don't let that stop you guys if that's the best time for everyone else.

Telescope peak is an all day 15 mile there-and-back hike from the Mahogany Flat campground; figure two nights in that campground bookending a day trip up to that peak - though I suppose you could park at Mahogany Flat and do a backpacking overnight up to Telescope peak. But either way the road ends at Mahogany Flat and from there on the only access is on foot.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #66
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

Telescope peak is an all day 15 mile there-and-back hike from the Mahogany Flat campground; figure two nights in that campground bookending a day trip up to that peak - though I suppose you could park at Mahogany Flat and do a backpacking overnight up to Telescope peak. But either way the road ends at Mahogany Flat and from there on the only access is on foot.
Sadly, the road to Mahogany is closed.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #67
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Mystery solved, Death Valley ain't no joke

http://www.thelocal.de/20091114/23273
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #68
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Mystery solved, Death Valley ain't no joke

http://www.thelocal.de/20091114/23273
Yeah, that's a crappy situation to be in, but despite warnings, tourists still get lost annually.

This is why we're apart of a 4x4 club and all have radios, food, snacks, refreshments, and entertainment that will keep us happy, drunk, and rowdy until rescued.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #69
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Damn thats nuts! But why would you go there in July? Ian - Did you narrow it down to what month?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #70
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
If we plan for spring break, MJ won't have an excuse to not come, and if I get a job, I might have a lift so I won't have to bum a ride.
haha I aint got no excuses. If it lines up good with work, I'm in.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #71

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn thats nuts! But why would you go there in July? Ian - Did you narrow it down to what month?
It looks like the March time frame.

I am currently trying to find out more about some of the back country campsites-many of them seem to be closed. There are also a bunch of roads that are closed too

I should have my list of places done by this weekend. So much stuff on the outskirts.

I've been through DV in 130*F. Don't ask me why but it was f'ing hot-like take a breath scorching hot. No idea how anyone hikes in the park at that time (except maybe to the pool at Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells).

I've talked to a couple of friends who are doing trips as well. Should be interesting.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #72
Hottest I've ever experienced was 115f, but I've been to a sauna at 158f. I could barely breathe in there and could only stand a few minutes. Starting at 130-140 I simply can't do any physical work at all, all I could do was sit and breathe.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #73
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Hottest I've ever experienced was 115f, but I've been to a sauna at 158f. I could barely breathe in there and could only stand a few minutes. Starting at 130-140 I simply can't do any physical work at all, all I could do was sit and breathe.
Yeah I once had to do field work in jeans out near the Salton Sea during the summer, it was 112F and the air was completely dead. That was not fun. I don't think anyone should be doing anything anyways at 130-140, that's just crazy!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #74

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a few of the places I would like to visit. I have no route information since there are some variables with roads and other closures, I'm going to wait until a bit later to get some more details.

There is no GPX upload option so renamed this to .csv.
  1. Down load the file.
  2. Rename it to dv.gpx (anything with the file extension ".gpx".
  3. I use Garmin Basecamp to read GPX files. You might want to use something else. Basecamp is free and available from the Garmin website.

If there's a spot not on the list, please let me know and I'll look into it and add it.
Attached Files
File Type: csv dv-rename-to-gpx.csv (8.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #75
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
TTT

So March, April timeframe? Firmed up dates would be nice so I can plan accordingly. 1st weekend in March doesn't look good and possible the 3rd weekend in April is a no go.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #76

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
TTT

So March, April timeframe? Firmed up dates would be nice so I can plan accordingly. 1st weekend in March doesn't look good and possible the 3rd weekend in April is a no go.
March. Probably near the end. However, there are some things happening atm and I may need to cancel.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #77
LensCap

I can only do it between March 22 and March 26th, but I may end up going down to Ecuador during spring break to see my girlfriend. She doesn't know if she'll be allowed visitors at that time, though.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #78
asphinctersayswhat?

Yea with me going to Moab this year, this trip may not be able to happen for me.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #79
LensCap

I won't be able to visit my girlfriend until after the first week of April, so I'm free to do this in the fourth week of March again.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #80
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
March. Probably near the end. However, there are some things happening atm and I may need to cancel.
Things happen. Let me know and give me some info on the area and I'll see what I can do about organizing a run. I've never been and want to make the trip before I transfer.

Quote:
Yea with me going to Moab this year, this trip may not be able to happen for me.
Lets plan around the Moab trip so you can pull this off.

Products Discussed in this Thread