Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Feeler for a Norcal Death Valley Trip

View Poll Results: Are you interested in going?
Hell yes. County me in! 6 35.29%
Nope. No way. I'm too scared. 2 11.76%
January or February work for me. 2 11.76%
February or March are better. 3 17.65%
March or April spin my crank. 6 35.29%
April or May float my boat. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Feeler for a Norcal Death Valley Trip

I haven't been to DV in a while. Seeing a Death Valley Trip Report got me to thinking about going. It's an eight to ten hour drive from the Bay Area.

Death Valley can be a pretty unforgiving place in the summer. November through May offer great days and cold nights. It's not a place for the ill prepared. Gotta take it all for a back country adventure-that's water, fuel, food, tools, toilet. Everything.

It can be hard on vehicles:

The place is full of beauty...

There are some cool trails and things to see. The Race Track, Charcoal Kilns, Rhyolite, and the list goes on. There are plenty of off-road trails in the park. I would like to stay at Telescope Peak at least one night.

Enough of the good stuff. Anyone interested in going?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Interested but can't commit yet. What timeframe are you thinking?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
God Bless America
Rustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Rustbucket's Tacoma Gallery
We talked about this at the meet, so you know I'm interested
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post
Sounds awesome! Subd for more info. Thinking about a 3-4 day? Week long?
Thinking three or four days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
Interested but can't commit yet. What timeframe are you thinking?
I'll pick a date once I get a better idea when people are able to go.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #7

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
We talked about this at the meet, so you know I'm interested
Vote for the time frame that works for you
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
I definitely agree with going for a longer stretch, but for that I'm only available during spring break (March 23-30), and I'm not sure what my schedule will be like with climbing friends and family. I'll figure out what I'm up to before fully committing, but I definitely want to do this!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
It's about 10 hours in the saddle to get there so it's really a day up and a day back Ian, are you thinking 2-3 days down there? That would be awesome, DV is so freaking huge with so much to see.

Definitely wouldn't want to push it much past March i would think, by then it's still only effin hot, not volcanic face-in-the-oven hot.

The other thing to consider is if there is another round of washouts with the winter rains, they are still repairing roads right now so it's something we'd want to keep an eye on.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I'm definitely interested. Just need to know the dates. I didn't vote because I'm not sure what days I can get off with my new job. Thanks for putting it out there Ian, hopefully I'm able to go
Old 11-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #11

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I mentioned the time and duration in my original post. 3-4 days is often what people are able to get off to do a trip like this and depending, it could be 10h of driving. My preference would be to post a place and time to meet there (of course, caravan/carpool is an option)-that way if you're able to drive all night and be there in time for the trip, that's cool. If you need a day or so to get there, that's cool too but three days is probably about the right amount of time for a group.

The weekend of March 28-30th is gonna be a giant motorcycle rally there. At least one-there are usually two or three large group that go around that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
It's about 10 hours in the saddle to get there so it's really a day up and a day back Ian, are you thinking 2-3 days down there? That would be awesome, DV is so freaking huge with so much to see.

Definitely wouldn't want to push it much past March i would think, by then it's still only effin hot, not volcanic face-in-the-oven hot.

The other thing to consider is if there is another round of washouts with the winter rains, they are still repairing roads right now so it's something we'd want to keep an eye on.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I mentioned the time and duration in my original post. 3-4 days is often what people are able to get off to do a trip like this and depending, it could be 10h of driving. My preference would be to post a place and time to meet there (of course, caravan/carpool is an option)-that way if you're able to drive all night and be there in time for the trip, that's cool. If you need a day or so to get there, that's cool too but three days is probably about the right amount of time for a group.

The weekend of March 28-30th is gonna be a giant motorcycle rally there. At least one-there are usually two or three large group that go around that time.
That sounds cool, doing a night drive down would be my preference, that way I can be hanging out asleep at the meeting place
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
DV would be a fun time for sure. If the winter is as dismal as it seems to be, we may want to hit the area earlier. February maybe?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
09FriscoTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Tarcilo
09FriscoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Never been but I'm definitely interested. I need something to look forward to and I think this could be it. If the dates are right you can count me and my dog Lukas in.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #15

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09FriscoTaco View Post
Never been but I'm definitely interested. I need something to look forward to and I think this could be it. If the dates are right you can count me and my dog Lukas in.
Sorry. A lot of the places we would go are off limits to dogs.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I might be able to do early in the year but April/May is MOAB time so I'm a no go on those dates.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Sorry. A lot of the places we would go are off limits to dogs.
which places are you thinking of going to?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Can this trip be done in a stock truck?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Depends on where Ian is thinking of going, for the most part yes
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #20

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
which places are you thinking of going to?
See the links in the Original Post. There's some good info there.

What I'll try and do in the next few days is put together a route and publish the GPS track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
High clearance 4x4, most places. However, when I do the routing, I'll have a better idea.

Products Discussed in this Thread