Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Mendo NF in late December

Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
Mendo NF in late December

Assuming passible, hoping to pass through and likely camp one night in the forest over the December holidays. Likely to enter at Upper Lake, summit Hull Mtn (potentially camping at lower elevation), and head out the northwest side, dropping into Covelo, before heading out to the coast for another night.

Keeping my fingers crossed for very little snow fall and decent temps! I suspect I'll be on the phone with the ranger a few time leading right up to departure.

No real point of this thread other than to see if their is any local knowledge, recent experience. I just installed my ultimate lift ( plus sway bar delete) a week ago and am having some BFG 265/75/16 put on this week so I'm eager to have some fun.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
have you seen my recent posts in the norcal spotted and BS thread? I was just up there yesterday... Unless they get a ton more snow, it should be very doable, and a ton of fun! Me and another member are planning to cruise up there around the weekend of 21-22 possibly... when were you thinking of going?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
I'm in. Just like Anthony said, we're planning to go up the 21 or 22 so if you'd like to join in feel free. Otherwise let us know and im sure we'd be down!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Saratogian

I saw your posts in the NorCal thread but was under the impression you didn't get very high up? How far in did you go? Hull mountain is over 6,500+ and the M1 from there north stays above 5,000 feet for a while....that's the section I'm worried about given that I'm hoping to pass all the way through.

I spoke to the ranger today and they said their is snow starting at 2,500 feet and that FH7 is open, but requires chains. I have high hopes but I'm cautiously optimistic. I've seen snow falling up on hull mountain in late may while it was warm and sunny down by the lake.

21/22nd might work, but based on my friends' schedules was thinking 27/28th and heading out to lost coast 28th, returning to Bay Area 29th. We shall see! If it's nasty up there I may just go south to Clear Creek or something.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
wow!! anyone hunt deer there?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Saratogian

Just remember that my youngest 1 year bday party is at my house on the 21st so I'm out for that weekend.