Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

radiator support install help?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
presto's Tacoma Gallery
radiator support install help?

So I've been in a few accidents my past few years of owning the truck and i bought a brand new radiator support about a year or 2 ago so i could replace the old beat up one. it is my DD so I've been scared to do it myself. I finally just got a new fender, hood, and grille and i need to replace the radiator support first. So if there is anyone willing to help i could buy you a 12 pack and ill smoke some good stuff with ya . i can even pay you a little for your time. I can help with the install I'm pretty mechanical. i can meet anywhere in SF bay area east bay included! or i could do it at my buddies house in daly city. ORR at my house in half moon bay.

i do have tools that i can either bring to you or you can use (including a small welder). probably enough tools to get the job done but not 100% sure.

thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man, wish I could help, but honestly haven't done any of this before ^
Old 01-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
presto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shedpresto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Good luck man, wish I could help, but honestly haven't done any of this before ^
thanks. yea id be more willing to do it myself if there was more info on the forums but not many people have done it before.. maybe i should make a guide O.o haha
Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #4
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
it's all just plug n play, if you've ever taken a bumper or grill off, taking off the rad support should be very similar, just bolts. remember to label everything and use zip lock baggies. if you're really paranoid, a go pro, or mini video camera or even small shop digital cam works great for these situations.

My worry is that your radiator support that's on there now is bent to all hell and won't line up on either side and you'll need a mallet or a sledge to tap that back into place.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
search is lovely.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...r-support.html

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/1997-taco...estion-207842/

from the looks of it, all the radiator supports are tack welded, so you'll need to drill them out. you'll also need to be careful to make sure everything is straight. so it's not quite as simple as a I originally though, but you should be able to diy and put things together roughly like OEM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
search is lovely.

from the looks of it, all the radiator supports are tack welded, so you'll need to drill them out. you'll also need to be careful to make sure everything is straight. so it's not quite as simple as a I originally though, but you should be able to diy and put things together roughly like OEM.

Thats why I didn't speak up :P I've done one before too but not on a Taco. It really is a simple job though, presuming everything lines up.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
na8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Name: Mark
na8rboy's Tacoma Gallery
It's an easy DIY job. Oh that's right you said you would smoke some good stuff, with anyone that would help...
Well, maybe if you didn't smoke so much of your, so called good stuff. You would have enough brain cells to do it yourself.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by na8rboy View Post
It's an easy DIY job. Oh that's right you said you would smoke some good stuff, with anyone that would help...
Well, maybe if you didn't smoke so much of your, so called good stuff. You would have enough brain cells to do it yourself.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #9

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
obviously you don't live in california. i admit tho my brain cell count might be lower than average cause i definitely smoke a lot haha. i have a medical card .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Thats why I didn't speak up :P I've done one before too but not on a Taco. It really is a simple job though, presuming everything lines up.
thats what I'm scared of but ill probably attempt it myself next weekend if i don't get anyone to help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
search is lovely.

thanks I've found a few things about it myself actually so i kind of know what it involves but still something you've never done or seen done before is a daunting task. Also not 100% sure it will line up exactly although the old one isn't TOO bent up..
Old 01-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Unneccessary, go troll on ttora, or the MN forum.

To OP, my last car had some front end damage before I acquired, and it was a pita to work on bc nothing came off or went back on right. Make sure you have a long breaker.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #11

presto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Unneccessary, go troll on ttora, or the MN forum.

To OP, my last car had some front end damage before I acquired, and it was a pita to work on bc nothing came off or went back on right. Make sure you have a long breaker.
Thank you. Hopefully it will line up decently. What do you mean long breaker? Like a pry bar?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #12
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
I've done one on my Integra if that helps any. My old was was banged up and I switched front ends and now everything lines up except one fender which I think is because of the fender. We'll find out when I buy carbon I guess
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Was that really necessary?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #14

presto's Tacoma Gallery
So I finished installing the support yesterday just have to put my bumper, new hood, and water sprayer resivor back. Let me just say it was a PITA. I got it to line up OKish. Definitely looks a lot better now tho. Unfortunately I only took like 1 picture I was in such a hurry to get it all back together..