Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Newbie Thinking about taking my Taco Off Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
marchballer is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2014, #119822
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
marchballer's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie Thinking about taking my Taco Off Road

So I live near Palo Alto and bought a 2014 Prerunner a month ago. Love the truck. After driving it around I really want to take it off road and see what it can do.

Are there any easy trails I can try off roading for the first time around the Bay Area? Can I go off road in my prerunner?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
chris4x4's Avatar
Name: FlimFlubberJAM
Joined: May 2008, #6497
Location: Tenoe, AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,421
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
marchballer is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2014, #119822
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
marchballer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, first truck I have ever owned and after a month I love this thing. Not a single regret. Looking at adding some side steps, addings a rod holder for fishing and who knows.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mademan925's Avatar
Name: Nick
Joined: Nov 2012, #90668
Location: Bay Area
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,769
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I started offroading in my prerunner. I got hooked and traded it in for my 4x4. Hollister has some good green trails you can do. Make sure you put weight in the bed. If you wanna do the blues make sure you go with a 4x4 who can help you out if you get stuck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
Joined: Jun 2012, #81653
Location: Northern California
Gender: Dude
Posts: 781
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for hollister svra, it's close by and super easy to navigate. get the gaia gps for android/ios for your phone so you can download maps and take a look at the area and map out your trail. you should be fine in all the green areas and most of the blues in a stock tacoma.

some folks head out there at least once a month so you'll have plenty of trips to go to. also, we do wheeling/camping trips from spring -> fall, there's always room for a passenger too.

just checking though, do you have the E-locker on your pre-runner??
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,949
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be into the offroad for many many years and my husband and I used to be trail guides. We would often have 'wheelin 101' trips for the beginners.

First & Foremost
1) Never go offroading alone. ALWAYS have another vehicle with you.
2) Stay on designated trails. Tread Lightly http://treadlightly.org/

In my experience in dealing with new folks.... Offroading is MUCH MUCH MORE than a drive down a dirt road. You will be driving over rocks, into gulleys, over burms.... and you CAN & WILL damage your truck. If you have any 'timid' thoughts about it - I would highly recommend riding shotgun in someone elses truck so you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into.

You need good driving skills & PAY ATTENTION to every aspect of what you're doing on the trails. Trails do not have shoulders, guard rails, or warning signs.

I once had a guy with a spanking new Dodge Power Wagon. He didn't listen to the 'helpful tips' that were given at the morning drivers meeting....and the guy drove down (off trail) into a narrow passage. His truck didn't fit between two trees. He ended up gouging half the side of his truck before even realizing what he'd done. We then, had to try and rescue his truck from further gouging. It was pathetic.

Just sayin.... (sorry, got off on a rant)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brian's Avatar
Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
Joined: Apr 2009, #16011
Location: Roseville, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 7,557
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I used to be into the offroad for many many years and my husband and I used to be trail guides. We would often have 'wheelin 101' trips for the beginners.

First & Foremost
1) Never go offroading alone. ALWAYS have another vehicle with you.
2) Stay on designated trails. Tread Lightly http://treadlightly.org/

In my experience in dealing with new folks.... Offroading is MUCH MUCH MORE than a drive down a dirt road. You will be driving over rocks, into gulleys, over burms.... and you CAN & WILL damage your truck. If you have any 'timid' thoughts about it - I would highly recommend riding shotgun in someone elses truck so you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into.

You need good driving skills & PAY ATTENTION to every aspect of what you're doing on the trails. Trails do not have shoulders, guard rails, or warning signs.

I once had a guy with a spanking new Dodge Power Wagon. He didn't listen to the 'helpful tips' that were given at the morning drivers meeting....and the guy drove down (off trail) into a narrow passage. His truck didn't fit between two trees. He ended up gouging half the side of his truck before even realizing what he'd done. We then, had to try and rescue his truck from further gouging. It was pathetic.

Just sayin.... (sorry, got off on a rant)

Dead on Jan! Saw too many people on my last trip not paying attention to their spotters and damage their vehicles big time. I highly doubt op will be doing anything crazy at this time though.

Op, try one of the SVRA's like Hollister or Prairie City if you're going solo. Theres always someone to help you if you get stuck. Go easy on your vehicle, its still breaking in


On a side note, quoted for posterity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
When you throw the switch to 4WD your world changes. Mountains that once stood proud and snowy become small hills. Raging rivers that shape those mountains become brooks, creeks no more than ... that deep. Mud pits that have swallowed generations of trucks before you become a simple shallow mud puddle on the way to the hill. Woodland fairies, half naked, dressed in ferns, come pouring from the trees at the tops of the hill. They are drawn to you like a moth to a porch light. You'll grow 4 inches, your IQ will leap by 40 points. You'll buy a tow strap and chuckle as you tuck it away because you know ... you'll never need it.

My friend when you throw that switch, you'll never look back. Your wallet will empty, your fears will ooze out of you like the first piss on a morning after a few to many drinks!
Good luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
CaliAsh's Avatar
Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
Joined: May 2012, #78984
Location: Left Coast
Gender: Male
Posts: 665
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Dead on Jan! Saw too many people on my last trip not paying attention to their spotters and damage their vehicles big time. I highly doubt op will be doing anything crazy at this time though.

Op, try one of the SVRA's like Hollister or Prairie City if you're going solo. Theres always someone to help you if you get stuck. Go easy on your vehicle, its still breaking in


On a side note, quoted for posterity:



Good luck!
Nice quote, I think I am going to sig that
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Junior Member
marchballer is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jan 2014, #119822
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
marchballer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll check out the greens in Hollister either next weekend or the following. The next time there is a TW meetup at Hollister maybe I will tag along and try out a couple of trails or ride shotgun with some of the more experienced guys and see what I'm getting into.

Those are awesome tips and advice Janster. Are there any of those wheelin 101 things around the Bay Area? Sounds perfect for someone like me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mademan925's Avatar
Name: Nick
Joined: Nov 2012, #90668
Location: Bay Area
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,769
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchballer View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll check out the greens in Hollister either next weekend or the following. The next time there is a TW meetup at Hollister maybe I will tag along and try out a couple of trails or ride shotgun with some of the more experienced guys and see what I'm getting into.

Those are awesome tips and advice Janster. Are there any of those wheelin 101 things around the Bay Area? Sounds perfect for someone like me.
We had a small TW meet today at hollister but a 4x4 was required for what we did and I think we all even ended up using our lockers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about
 
johnboyTRD's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Sep 2013, #112818
Location: South SF bay
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,641
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine on the greens at hollister... They are very much like logging or mining roads in the sierras.

Welcome to tw I'm new too. If you head down, lmk, I may go put around with you. Just know I'm new too, and don't have much armor or recovery gear - take it slow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
steveomalilay is just really nicesteveomalilay is just really nicesteveomalilay is just really nicesteveomalilay is just really nice
Name: steven
Joined: Mar 2011, #53858
Location: sebastopol california
Gender: Male
Posts: 351
steveomalilay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
You should be fine on the greens at hollister... They are very much like logging or mining roads in the sierras.

Welcome to tw I'm new too. If you head down, lmk, I may go put around with you. Just know I'm new too, and don't have much armor or recovery gear - take it slow.
Did you guys ever go I wanna see what it looks like I wanna see if I can go sometime
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about taking my truck to Dumont dunes or Amargosa dunes, how will it do? yfz450admirer Off-Roading & Trails 8 08-04-2013 02:29 PM
Thinking about taking a trip to Moab Sje1124 Travel 20 06-12-2012 04:19 PM
thinking of taking the plunge but a few questions edgebone 2nd Gen. Tacomas 7 02-01-2012 07:53 PM
taking a road trip with a trailer?? RDAY Towing 14 04-10-2011 06:22 PM
thinking about taking my tonneau off... gupster88 2nd Gen. Tacomas 4 12-09-2009 12:41 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.