Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Newbie Thinking about taking my Taco Off Road

Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
marchballer is on a distinguished road
marchballer's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie Thinking about taking my Taco Off Road

So I live near Palo Alto and bought a 2014 Prerunner a month ago. Love the truck. After driving it around I really want to take it off road and see what it can do.

Are there any easy trails I can try off roading for the first time around the Bay Area? Can I go off road in my prerunner?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Thanks, first truck I have ever owned and after a month I love this thing. Not a single regret. Looking at adding some side steps, addings a rod holder for fishing and who knows.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I started offroading in my prerunner. I got hooked and traded it in for my 4x4. Hollister has some good green trails you can do. Make sure you put weight in the bed. If you wanna do the blues make sure you go with a 4x4 who can help you out if you get stuck.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for hollister svra, it's close by and super easy to navigate. get the gaia gps for android/ios for your phone so you can download maps and take a look at the area and map out your trail. you should be fine in all the green areas and most of the blues in a stock tacoma.

some folks head out there at least once a month so you'll have plenty of trips to go to. also, we do wheeling/camping trips from spring -> fall, there's always room for a passenger too.

just checking though, do you have the E-locker on your pre-runner??
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be into the offroad for many many years and my husband and I used to be trail guides. We would often have 'wheelin 101' trips for the beginners.

First & Foremost
1) Never go offroading alone. ALWAYS have another vehicle with you.
2) Stay on designated trails. Tread Lightly http://treadlightly.org/

In my experience in dealing with new folks.... Offroading is MUCH MUCH MORE than a drive down a dirt road. You will be driving over rocks, into gulleys, over burms.... and you CAN & WILL damage your truck. If you have any 'timid' thoughts about it - I would highly recommend riding shotgun in someone elses truck so you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into.

You need good driving skills & PAY ATTENTION to every aspect of what you're doing on the trails. Trails do not have shoulders, guard rails, or warning signs.

I once had a guy with a spanking new Dodge Power Wagon. He didn't listen to the 'helpful tips' that were given at the morning drivers meeting....and the guy drove down (off trail) into a narrow passage. His truck didn't fit between two trees. He ended up gouging half the side of his truck before even realizing what he'd done. We then, had to try and rescue his truck from further gouging. It was pathetic.

Just sayin.... (sorry, got off on a rant)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I used to be into the offroad for many many years and my husband and I used to be trail guides. We would often have 'wheelin 101' trips for the beginners.

First & Foremost
1) Never go offroading alone. ALWAYS have another vehicle with you.
2) Stay on designated trails. Tread Lightly http://treadlightly.org/

In my experience in dealing with new folks.... Offroading is MUCH MUCH MORE than a drive down a dirt road. You will be driving over rocks, into gulleys, over burms.... and you CAN & WILL damage your truck. If you have any 'timid' thoughts about it - I would highly recommend riding shotgun in someone elses truck so you can see exactly what you're getting yourself into.

You need good driving skills & PAY ATTENTION to every aspect of what you're doing on the trails. Trails do not have shoulders, guard rails, or warning signs.

I once had a guy with a spanking new Dodge Power Wagon. He didn't listen to the 'helpful tips' that were given at the morning drivers meeting....and the guy drove down (off trail) into a narrow passage. His truck didn't fit between two trees. He ended up gouging half the side of his truck before even realizing what he'd done. We then, had to try and rescue his truck from further gouging. It was pathetic.

Just sayin.... (sorry, got off on a rant)

Dead on Jan! Saw too many people on my last trip not paying attention to their spotters and damage their vehicles big time. I highly doubt op will be doing anything crazy at this time though.

Op, try one of the SVRA's like Hollister or Prairie City if you're going solo. Theres always someone to help you if you get stuck. Go easy on your vehicle, its still breaking in

On a side note, quoted for posterity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
When you throw the switch to 4WD your world changes. Mountains that once stood proud and snowy become small hills. Raging rivers that shape those mountains become brooks, creeks no more than ... that deep. Mud pits that have swallowed generations of trucks before you become a simple shallow mud puddle on the way to the hill. Woodland fairies, half naked, dressed in ferns, come pouring from the trees at the tops of the hill. They are drawn to you like a moth to a porch light. You'll grow 4 inches, your IQ will leap by 40 points. You'll buy a tow strap and chuckle as you tuck it away because you know ... you'll never need it.

My friend when you throw that switch, you'll never look back. Your wallet will empty, your fears will ooze out of you like the first piss on a morning after a few to many drinks!
Good luck!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Dead on Jan! Saw too many people on my last trip not paying attention to their spotters and damage their vehicles big time. I highly doubt op will be doing anything crazy at this time though.

Op, try one of the SVRA's like Hollister or Prairie City if you're going solo. Theres always someone to help you if you get stuck. Go easy on your vehicle, its still breaking in

On a side note, quoted for posterity:

Good luck!
Nice quote, I think I am going to sig that
Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll check out the greens in Hollister either next weekend or the following. The next time there is a TW meetup at Hollister maybe I will tag along and try out a couple of trails or ride shotgun with some of the more experienced guys and see what I'm getting into.

Those are awesome tips and advice Janster. Are there any of those wheelin 101 things around the Bay Area? Sounds perfect for someone like me.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchballer View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll check out the greens in Hollister either next weekend or the following. The next time there is a TW meetup at Hollister maybe I will tag along and try out a couple of trails or ride shotgun with some of the more experienced guys and see what I'm getting into.

Those are awesome tips and advice Janster. Are there any of those wheelin 101 things around the Bay Area? Sounds perfect for someone like me.
We had a small TW meet today at hollister but a 4x4 was required for what we did and I think we all even ended up using our lockers.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You should be fine on the greens at hollister... They are very much like logging or mining roads in the sierras.

Welcome to tw I'm new too. If you head down, lmk, I may go put around with you. Just know I'm new too, and don't have much armor or recovery gear - take it slow.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
steveomalilay is just really nicesteveomalilay is just really nicesteveomalilay is just really nicesteveomalilay is just really nice
Name: steven
steveomalilay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
You should be fine on the greens at hollister... They are very much like logging or mining roads in the sierras.

Welcome to tw I'm new too. If you head down, lmk, I may go put around with you. Just know I'm new too, and don't have much armor or recovery gear - take it slow.
Did you guys ever go I wanna see what it looks like I wanna see if I can go sometime