1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Swap Shop in Sacto. or East Bay?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by TTBlues, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jan 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    TTBlues

TTBlues [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock
    I've got a bad head gasket and/or head on my 5vz-fe. It's got some other problems too.

I've determined it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to swap the engine for a JDM engine.

I've found one that I can order ASAP, but I don't know of a shop that could do the work.

I'm in Sacto, but can also drop the truck in the East Bay if need be. Can someone out there recommend a place to do the swap and do it well?

Thanks.

2. Jan 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Have you checked the phone book? The capitol of California has lots of automotive shops. Googling helps, too.

When I had a blown HG on my 4-cyl 22R, I took it to the all-Japanese shop at 17th and J st, downtown. They ended up replacing the head with a used one (mine had cracks). Cost me around $1500. Ran great for years after that, then I sold it, and got the Tacoma. They might not do engine swaps, if they can't guarantee the new engine.

They seem pretty knowledgeable. I also take my wife's Lexus there for work that I cannot do myself.

3. Feb 7, 2014 at 1:48 AM
    TTBlues

TTBlues [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Stock
    I posted on a forum that is dedicated to the the make and model of the truck I own, to get from other owners of said truck a referral to a trusted shop that can perform the necessary work.

4. Feb 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Yeah, I understand what you're trying to do. Wish I could be of more help. I've never done (or had done) an engine swap, so I'm not much help.

I'm surprised there haven't been any responses from guys with that exact experience. I'm guessing, that guys that do swaps, do it themselves.

Licensed shops might have legal issues about doing swaps, especially when the engine comes from a different model year or had a different tranny or different ECM. Its not like the old days when things were simpler.

If the heads are the only issue, that shop I mentioned could do the work. Its been about 7 years since they did the work for me, hopefully they have the same ownership and management. Can't hurt to get an estimate.

Products Discussed in

To Top