Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Engine Swap Shop in Sacto. or East Bay?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
TTBlues is on a distinguished road
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Swap Shop in Sacto. or East Bay?

I've got a bad head gasket and/or head on my 5vz-fe. It's got some other problems too.

I've determined it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to swap the engine for a JDM engine.

I've found one that I can order ASAP, but I don't know of a shop that could do the work.

I'm in Sacto, but can also drop the truck in the East Bay if need be. Can someone out there recommend a place to do the swap and do it well?

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked the phone book? The capitol of California has lots of automotive shops. Googling helps, too.

When I had a blown HG on my 4-cyl 22R, I took it to the all-Japanese shop at 17th and J st, downtown. They ended up replacing the head with a used one (mine had cracks). Cost me around $1500. Ran great for years after that, then I sold it, and got the Tacoma. They might not do engine swaps, if they can't guarantee the new engine.

They seem pretty knowledgeable. I also take my wife's Lexus there for work that I cannot do myself.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #3
TTBlues is on a distinguished road
TTBlues's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Have you checked the phone book? The capitol of California has lots of automotive shops. Googling helps, too.
I posted on a forum that is dedicated to the the make and model of the truck I own, to get from other owners of said truck a referral to a trusted shop that can perform the necessary work.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I understand what you're trying to do. Wish I could be of more help. I've never done (or had done) an engine swap, so I'm not much help.

I'm surprised there haven't been any responses from guys with that exact experience. I'm guessing, that guys that do swaps, do it themselves.

Licensed shops might have legal issues about doing swaps, especially when the engine comes from a different model year or had a different tranny or different ECM. Its not like the old days when things were simpler.

If the heads are the only issue, that shop I mentioned could do the work. Its been about 7 years since they did the work for me, hopefully they have the same ownership and management. Can't hurt to get an estimate.