Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Nor Cal MTB and BS Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #21
Motherfucking Wizard
timmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timmytoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post
Good call on this thread, I've been in the general MTB thread here, but it sure makes more sense to have a local one.

I'm a pretty avid rider, mostly DH, Freeride, Dirt Jumps. Single track is fun, as long as it's downhill anything with jumps, drops, berms and gravity fed, not a big fan of pedaling!

Currently riding a Trek Scratch 8 as my main steed.

Other ponies in the stable include a Kona Stuff hardtail Dj, a DK 8pak Bmx, a 1950's Schwinn Beach Cruiser, a no name beach cruiser decked out in bomber gear (Bmx bars and stem, 3 peice cranks, maxxis knobbies)

So F-Ing down. Here's a pic from my last trip up there in nov. I'm on the left.
Welcome to the thread!! Glad you made it lol. I'm big onto downhill/free ride also. I'm currently riding a Karpiel Disco Volante that a friend built up. It has decent components on it. The suspension is awesome at least. I need to have the forks and shock rebuilt though; they're both long overdue.

You have a nice stable. On top of the Karp I also have a Cannondale Chase 3 that's a DJ/park bike and an old Murray cruiser that I have set up kinda board track racer style. It's black with big red balloon tires on it. It looks pretty neat. I'm currently shopping around for a new all-mountain bike. I need something I can trail ride and still take down some hills.

I'm in for Downieville for sure! I have a buddy that will come, too. Hope to ride with you soon!
Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #22
808sailor is on a distinguished road
Name: Kyle
808sailor's Tacoma Gallery
I have a nomad, but I am definitely not against pumping up the fork and pointing it downhill. I have ridden some pretty gnarly stuff on that bike and haven't had too many problems..... On another note anyone planning on going to Sea Otter?? I think I'm gonna race the downhill
Old 03-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
Motherfucking Wizard
timmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimmytoast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808sailor View Post
I have a nomad, but I am definitely not against pumping up the fork and pointing it downhill. I have ridden some pretty gnarly stuff on that bike and haven't had too many problems..... On another note anyone planning on going to Sea Otter?? I think I'm gonna race the downhill
My buddy and I are going to Sea Otter. I don't think we're gonna race anything though.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytoast View Post
My buddy and I are going to Sea Otter. I don't think we're gonna race anything though.
Toyota campground maybe? Ive never been it should be a good time.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #25
Motherfucking Wizard

Quote:
Toyota campground maybe? Ive never been it should be a good time.
I've never been before either but my buddy that's going with me went last year (I think he's been a few other times also) and said that it's a lot of fun and there's lots of stuff to see and do.

We'll both be camping; me in my Tacoma and him in his Chevy. That is unless baby truck is kinda enough to donate her passes this year *cough* hint *cough*
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMEDIC's Tacoma Gallery
So I've done a bunch of research and narrowed my bike to a specialized hardrock in either 29 or 26. I'm new to mountain bike. What do you guys think? Mainly trail riding and beginner down hill stuff.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #27
Quote:
I've never been before either but my buddy that's going with me went last year (I think he's been a few other times also) and said that it's a lot of fun and there's lots of stuff to see and do.

We'll both be camping; me in my Tacoma and him in his Chevy. That is unless baby truck is kinda enough to donate her passes this year *cough* hint *cough*
I will be there in my Yota, and a buddy may be down there in his Isuzu, all camping so maybe we could meet up or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMEDIC View Post
So I've done a bunch of research and narrowed my bike to a specialized hardrock in either 29 or 26. I'm new to mountain bike. What do you guys think? Mainly trail riding and beginner down hill stuff.
Personally, I would say 26. I have never really been a 29er guy, and also I feel that for downhill 26 is the way to go. I have ridden a 650b (27.5) and it felt more sluggish than my 26. The bigger wheel is nice to roll over obstacles, but i prefer the lighter feeling and whipability of a 26 inch wheel.....
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #28
Motherfucking Wizard

26 for downhill and 29 for trails; they roll over obstacles way better. They have a wider turning radius though, so tight trails might be an issue.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #29
Motherfucking Wizard

Quote:
I will be there in my Yota, and a buddy may be down there in his Isuzu, all camping so maybe we could meet up or something.
Right now it's looking like we'll be camping, which is OK by me, and I'd definitely be up for meeting up with you.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #30
Quote:
Right now it's looking like we'll be camping, which is OK by me, and I'd definitely be up for meeting up with you.
Sounds good man, we will definitely be camping, should be a good time. Probably can't show up until friday afternoon though due to school.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #31
Motherfucking Wizard

Quote:
Sounds good man, we will definitely be camping, should be a good time. Probably can't show up until friday afternoon though due to school.
I'll probably get there Friday afternoon/evening or early Saturday morning. I'm pretty sure it'll be Friday though. I'm almost 100% sure I'll be camping; I haven't camped our of my Tacoma yet. Gotta break it in
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
Any ideas on camping? Ive never been and it looks to be fairly expensive.....
Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
Its 8 people and 2 vehicles per campsite and its $65 a night.... my buddy and I may camp elsewhere as thats a bit steep for the 2 of us college kids.....
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #34
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
Been throwing this around in one of the other threads, but it's highly appropriate for here...

Sat 3/15-sun 3/16 Hull Mt wheeling/camping/MTB trip.

Head up there mid day sat, wheel, ride, camp, do it all over again on sun. Who's down.

Pretty gnar downhill. But plenty of trails all over the place if y'all like the pedally stuff. I'll be shuttling!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #35
Quote:
Been throwing this around in one of the other threads, but it's highly appropriate for here...

Head up there mid day sat, wheel, ride, camp, do it all over again on sun. Who's down.

Pretty gnar downhill. But plenty of trails all over the place if y'all like the pedally stuff. I'll be shuttling!
I would be interested, as long as nothing pops up last minute.... Being in a maritime academy comes with last minute changes....
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #36
Motherfucking Wizard

Quote:

I'm in! I know a buddy of mine will want to come too. I'll drag the woman along as well. She likes to camp.
EDIT: that's a 4 hour drive for me each way. I might have to pass. We'll see. I'll keep you updated.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #37
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
I'm in! I know a buddy of mine will want to come too. I'll drag the woman along as well. She likes to camp.
EDIT: that's a 4 hour drive for me each way. I might have to pass. We'll see. I'll keep you updated.
Sack uuuuuuupppppp!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #38
Motherfucking Wizard

Dude, I drive 5k miles a month for work. I don't like driving on the weekends that much.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #39
Adventurer

Firefighter:
Just FYI the Hull Mt trip is a go. We've got a few folks confirmed, and firming up plans as we speak. Been updating it over in the. NorCal Wheeling trip thread, so pop on over there for deets and 'dates.

Y'all should roll!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #40
brizower is on a distinguished road

Air Force: A-10/U-2  Crew Chief
Name: Andrew
brizower's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to, but I sprained my MCL skiing last week. Ski season is over, and I won't be pedaling for a couple weeks. :/

Currently riding a Heckler and a Felt hardtail.