1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Prerunner BS Thread

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by SpeedwayBlueAlex, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Jan 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM
    Seans Baja

Seans Baja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Vally, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROD MID TRAVEL TACOMA
    Camburg Racing 2.5 Performance Kit, custom prerunner bumper, blacked grille, painted badges red, horned emblem, 42" roof mounted light bar, 21" bumper mounted light bar, 10" Kicker sub, K&N intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, 6000K HIDs, smoked taillights, Emergency Strobe Kit, cb/pa, cut rear fenders, sway bar delete, wheel spacers, full sized spare in bed, McNeil fiberglass fenders, trophy bedsides, and hood
    Lmao ikr I was all set to.do La Grange 2 and everyone bailed due to rain lololol

2. Jan 1, 2015 at 8:09 AM
    Seans Baja

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Vally, CA
    Vehicle:
    Camburg Racing 2.5 Performance Kit, custom prerunner bumper, blacked grille, painted badges red, horned emblem, 42" roof mounted light bar, 21" bumper mounted light bar, 10" Kicker sub, K&N intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, 6000K HIDs, smoked taillights, Emergency Strobe Kit, cb/pa, cut rear fenders, sway bar delete, wheel spacers, full sized spare in bed, McNeil fiberglass fenders, trophy bedsides, and hood
    Oh btw happy new year everyone and alex and roberto im hoping to score this hood.on my way home

IMG_612705912378351.jpg

3. Jan 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

SpeedwayBlueAlex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    SWB 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD 6-SPEED
    Take your time and don't rush it. Fiberglass is bitch ! Haha best advice I got

4. Jan 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    Holy !#$@:D that thing is tits

5. Jan 1, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I was totally set myself. That was irritating. And I haven't wheeled since September!

That looks damn good Sean! Ooooooo.....!

6. Jan 1, 2015 at 10:36 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    Sean ya better get it

7. Jan 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Hey Dave, I was looking at some of your posts in the Icon air bumps thread and I'll tell you right now that if you want to run a 12" stroke shock that those 2.5" air bumps will not work. They are too short.

8. Jan 2, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    hes kinda wrong actually, it depends on your ride height and how much up travel u have, longer bumps may make it ride on the bumps most the time which kinda blows. the 12" shocks all they really do is allow more droop and you put non oem type shocks in(better quality ends(hiems)) and your leafs become the limiting factor. if your at 3" lift 2.5"-3" bumps will work just fine. rule of thumb typically to get in the ballpark is a 1/4 of your travel should be your bump travel....ballpark, but it has a lot to do with your ride height and allowable uptravel like I said, also where u weld em on at too, its all part of the equation for proper setup....those bolt on mounts sure im sure they get you in the "ballpark" but I really doubt theyre in the perfect spot because of all the different suspension setups out there. personally im going to go with 3" stroke fox's because of the collapsed length of the can matches the best with my measuring but I might shorten the stroke to 2.5" because I want more unbumped uptravel. I don't know, I really have no idea what im talking about I just build my truck with all bolt ons like jeep guys:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  9. Jan 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    It depends on the overall spacing of the bumps. Looking at the Icons, I can see that those were designed to work with a stock style setup with a mild lift.
    But then again, as I read through it, I see that they provide spacing rings to allow space between the can and the bump stop. How much spacing those provide is what I'm curious about. Since Icon is so notorious to not provide any dimensions of their stuff ever, it makes it really difficult to figure out how much those will allow for spacing. If he wants to run a 12" shock, he will need a larger spring pack for those. That's why I'm almost positive they won't work. In order to find out. I would need dimensions of everything though.

I know the Fox bumps in 2.5" are smaller and designed to work with a 8.416" stroke shaft at the most, yet their 3" version because it is substantially larger, will work with a 10" configuration, at least with mine it fits perfectly. There is a lot of missing info about those bumps and in general from Icon and by looking at the size of them, I can't see them working with a 12". I could be wrong though.

10. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:02 PM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    yea your wrong, im telling you. theres wayy more factors then shock stroke, and I have 12" shocks bud, and its not difficult to make those spacers if yhou have the tools ie lathe. or have a machine shop make sum to whatever dimension literally takes like 20 minutes maybe. and where your referencing shock shafts to bump travel, if you weld on sum can mounts or have them welded on by a friend or shop you can get any bump in the right position, the spacers for the icons is more like a band-aid to accommodate more folks.
    on a side note I kinda am daves welder/fab guy buddy

11. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I agree. I had to have some spacers lathed by Dirt King for my fronts because the lowers had the bump pads receded 3/8". There are definitely many factors that come into play. Especially when welding them on. Let's make Dave the Guinea pig? :D

As far as bump spacing. It ultimately boils down to distance from frame metal strike point to bump pad. That is then plugged into the amount of shaft travel you have at ride height and then subtracted. Then your final number will be the minimum bump spacing necessary to make it be correct. Of course there are other ways of figuring it out, that method is the one that worked the easiest for me. I also figured out dimensions from my bumps, determined how far off the frame they hung down and then plugged that overall height into the amount of overall stroke of my shock shaft and got very close within the end of my shock shaft right before the built in bump stops of those. Just different theories and ways of approaching the same result.

Oh are you? I didn't know that! Did you weld up your own BAMF shock tower relocates yourself? I wanted to that long time ago but then ended up going 10's because I got lazy and didn't want to do that work. Lol.

12. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM
    Basikbiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    It boils down to you want the bump to bottom before your shock does.....measure accordingly

13. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:41 AM
    Seans Baja

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Vally, CA
    Vehicle:
    Im hoping to guys itll deff finish off the truck and we got the bedsides on so happy now, fitment could be a little better but ill work.on that when I go to.pain

14. Jan 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    All I gotta say is bolt on crap sucks...I'm probably going with Fox 2.5 bumps down the road and will revalve and lengthen them accordingly...the bolt on icon pack is what it is...bolt on. Roberto, it's okay to listen to others who give good advice...Travis knows his stuff my friend.
    :thumbsup: and Roberto you ain't tested anything yet until you start bombing through the desert...then we can talk about suspension ;)

15. Jan 3, 2015 at 8:44 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:

X2

16. Jan 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    SpeedwayBlueAlex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Modesto
    Vehicle:
    :bowdown:

17. Jan 4, 2015 at 1:36 PM
    Seans Baja

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Grass Vally, CA
    Vehicle:
    Its set I pick up the hood on the 6th so stoked

18. Jan 4, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Very true.

What's wrong with bolt on? I could see why you don't like it actually now that I just asked that question literally. Haha. Travis is a fabricator on the side. I know he knows his stuff. I enjoy a good tech talk with other guys here. 2.5 Dave? Damn man, isn't that a bit overkill? I'll be testing my stuff out here real real soon in the mountains and in the dunes. I just have to seal up that go$-%-@ leaky CV. Grr :( ..

19. Jan 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I should be ordering my DMZ kit within the next month or so. Three paychecks this month helps alot :). 4 days off in t-minus 2 1/4 hours and I should have my garage all ready to put the truck on jacks! Now I just need the weather to warm up about 10 degrees so I can commute on the bike, OR talk the wife into letting me drive her CRV LOL

20. Jan 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Also, what do you guys think...should I get an ARB locker up front as well when I regear and add a rear locker? I feel like a rear locker will be fine for what I do, and a front locker will just make me over confident and then I'll break stuff lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top