Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Looking for trails

Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #21
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomax114 View Post
Is there another way to know if a trail is open or not besides going there and looking? If not i guess ill have to have you go check for me before i head out.
Not sure how up-to-date this page is, but this is my primary resource:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldora...TELPRDB5362046

Lots of links to look thru. The most informative one is called "Road List for Decision Implementation"
Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Motomax114 is just really niceMotomax114 is just really niceMotomax114 is just really niceMotomax114 is just really nice

Name: Max
Motomax114's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet thanks ill check it out
Old 04-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #23
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know of any longish trails in 300 miles of the SF Bay that a CRV, Rav4, or Subaru Outback could do? My friends want to go "wheeling" but don't have high clearance vehicles.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #24
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dang man, I'm not really sure - there are tons of trails/fire roads off silver fork :-/

That's all I did when my truck was sooper stock. It was fun, got a nice little camp site and then went out and found remote shooting spots up fire roads. Nothing crazy that an outback couldn't handle.

As always bring a strap and tools just in case
Old 04-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #25
4runnerer
Casper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCasper421 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Casper421's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for some trail rides! I'm familiar with the blackwood canyon area and a few others around Tahoe. Let me know when you're heading up and I'll get the time off. Stretched her legs on eagle lakes trail the other day.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #26
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyTRD View Post
Dang man, I'm not really sure - there are tons of trails/fire roads off silver fork :-/

That's all I did when my truck was sooper stock. It was fun, got a nice little camp site and then went out and found remote shooting spots up fire roads. Nothing crazy that an outback couldn't handle.

As always bring a strap and tools just in case
Lol yeah, I figure if we go more than the 7.3" of clearance the CRV has, I can always pull them out or ratchet up a come-along.

I just wish there were some gpx files of trails so I can do some planning and find a couple good spots for camping.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
Lol yeah, I figure if we go more than the 7.3" of clearance the CRV has, I can always pull them out or ratchet up a come-along.

I just wish there were some gpx files of trails so I can do some planning and find a couple good spots for camping.

Google map!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #28
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone know of any longish trails in 300 miles of the SF Bay that a CRV, Rav4, or Subaru Outback could do? My friends want to go "wheeling" but don't have high clearance vehicles.
Most State SVRA areas, like Prairie City (Sacramento area), have trails, and obstacles, from easy to difficult. Just stay on the stuff you are most comfortable, and avoid the harder stuff.

I've never been to Hollister (Just south of San Jose), but they might have easy stuff to play on, as well.

Otherwise, National Forests have hundreds of miles of dirt roads that are open to anyone.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Most State SVRA areas, like Prairie City (Sacramento area), have trails, and obstacles, from easy to difficult. Just stay on the stuff you are most comfortable, and avoid the harder stuff.

I've never been to Hollister (Just south of San Jose), but they might have easy stuff to play on, as well.

Otherwise, National Forests have hundreds of miles of dirt roads that are open to anyone.
Yeah, trying to avoid SVRA spots since that's where a lot of people will hang out at. Looking for more quiet locations like Corrall Hollow, Shuteye Peak, Slick Rock, but less crazy. Looks like I will have to check out some National Forest locations.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #30

tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, trying to avoid SVRA spots since that's where a lot of people will hang out at. Looking for more quiet locations like Corrall Hollow, Shuteye Peak, Slick Rock, but less crazy. Looks like I will have to check out some National Forest locations.
I've never been on Corral Hollow, but I have heard that its an easy trail, about 13 miles long. Sounds like a good choice, if you are bringing an Outback.

Slick Rock is tougher, there are big rocks to negotiate, and you'll need high-clearance vehicles.

Never heard of Shuteye Peak, but I did find a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Zb-z1WU_M
Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #31
I've been to slick rock and corral hollow.

Slick Rock is great, def agree w/ high clearance rear bumper, sliders, and a 3" lift at minimum w/ 33s. I'd recommend shortening up the exhaust pipe too. Where it sits, it'll crush your bedsides when it smashes into a rock outcropping.

Corral hollow isn't as easy as it is purported in trail guides. Not sure if it was due to trail erosion or what, but there are frequently downed trees on the trail from wood peckers and what not. The trail is maintained by folks but not in a way that makes it easy for vehicles w/o high clearance and still difficult for folks w/.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Motomax114 is just really niceMotomax114 is just really niceMotomax114 is just really niceMotomax114 is just really nice

Name: Max
Motomax114's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper421 View Post
Sub'd for some trail rides! I'm familiar with the blackwood canyon area and a few others around Tahoe. Let me know when you're heading up and I'll get the time off. Stretched her legs on eagle lakes trail the other day.

The contrast with the snow is so sick
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #33
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
There are lots of unexplored routes.

Just go to the national forest service ranger station and pick up a map - Tahoe, Eldorado, or Stanislaus, along with the 8x11 sheet of "approved" OHV routes.

Get your fire permit while you're there.

Bring your camping gear, a shovel, recovery strap, jump start batter pack, then go explore. And water. Bring a 5 gallon jug of water per person.

Folks are always looking for the "challenging" routes, like Deer Valley, Slick Rock, Hell Hole... And those aren't even a good candidate for stock trucks let alone stock AWD SUVs. If you open your mind to include all the dirt roads that exist in the forest, even though many of them are "easy" - there's more roads than you can explore in one lifetime.

If you do this, you'll never camp within sight or earshot of another person.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #34
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
What do you all recommend for those of us that dont have a fancy ice chest like ARB's, etc. Dry ice? The one thing i like about camping like at sly park is that there is a store right outside the main gate so i can run and grab ice everymorning. But being way out in the cuts,seems like that is out of the question. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny View Post
What do you all recommend for those of us that dont have a fancy ice chest like ARB's, etc. Dry ice? The one thing i like about camping like at sly park is that there is a store right outside the main gate so i can run and grab ice everymorning. But being way out in the cuts,seems like that is out of the question. Thoughts?

Get two giant coolers.

One that you open for the first couple of days for day to day needs,

Second one you don't until later in the week. Cover the second with some wool blankets or comforters and in the shade filled with dry ice. The food inside under the dry ice will stay frozen for over a week.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Get two giant coolers.

One that you open for the first couple of days for day to day needs,

Second one you don't until later in the week. Cover the second with some wool blankets or comforters and in the shade filled with dry ice. The food inside under the dry ice will stay frozen for over a week.

I do this, kind of. Food goes in one cooler with ice, and I bring an extra cooler with JUST ice. When I get low or watered down, I add new ice.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #37
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How long you gonna be gone? I've never been gone long enough to have to worry about all my ice completely melting, without also driving by somewhere I could buy a fresh bag of ice. For a weekend/long weekend trip, put ice in the cooler, try and keep it out of the sun, and don't worry about it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #38

Looking for trails

Quote:

Btw ferny, I had ice in my cooler for a week after our last hollister trip if you really need it, an extra chest with Ice that stays unopened should be fine.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #39
jqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of lightjqueener is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jason
jqueener's Tacoma Gallery
A better ice chest i have two lrge ones and a small 5 day cooler if you need to borrow one let me know.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #40
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Great info guys.

I was just curious for future trips. probably nothing longer than 2 nights. When we go camping at sly park it seems that the ice is only lasting me one day. but i also keep diggin in for another beer if you get my vibe! lol

Thanks Jason! I appreciate it bro! Yea my ice chest arent the best thats for sure..lol....just generic walmart stuff. I guess i could get one of those marine ice chests, like for boats and stuff.