1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Northern Cal: Peninsula/San Fran Body Shops?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by ReddingtonTRD, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jul 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    ReddingtonTRD

ReddingtonTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 TX Baja, Black 6-speed
    Build: 2013 Tacoma TX Baja Access Cab 6-Speed Manual *denotes stock feature for Baja Exterior/Performance *TX Baja Series Badging (small sticker--no large “Baja”), Red TRD badge on tailgate Billet 14” antenna Hitch cap Softopper with interchangeable mesh/solid rear doors, doggie door at cab, and dust bag *TRD Cat-back exhaust DeMello Bolt-On Hybrid Rock Sliders TRD front aluminum skid plate *TRD Gun Metal Gray Beadlock Style Wheels *BFG A/T 265/70/16 LED plates lights (thx CSJumper) Interior/Performance *Toyota HD Flooring throughout cab...entirely weatherproof. No carpeting TRD Quickshifter TRD Shift knob, MOMO knob, *Stock leather knob Uniden Radio/Walkies LED Replacement Bulbs (CS…again) Suspension *Front 3” TRD racing coils *60mm HD Bilstein (TRD custom valved in San Antonio) front shocks. Similar to 9100/9300s w/ bumpstop *Modified bumpstops by TRD in San Antonio *50mm Bilstein (TRD custom valved by TRD in San Antonio) *Tuned 3 leaf + overlo
    Hey guys,

I live in San Bruno. I have some damage to my bed just behind the passenger access cab door (small dent from a damn post in my blind spot at Hollister....my fault).

It looks like the metal will be easy enough to repair, but it seems like there might have been a very slight shifting of the bed in that section, thus increasing the distance between the cab and front of the bed just a tad. I'm all set with my insurance claim for repair, but I'm not familiar with body shops in this area. The certified Toyota collision center in Berkley has horrible Yelp reviews. There's a place in Burlingame with great reviews...Hansons? Karry's Collision Repair is another (in SF) with great reviews. Ugh. Any recommendations?

Thanks! Sean :)

2. Jul 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    the glen

the glen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    penisula
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road 6SP manual spruce mica Taco
    Icon 2.5 remote res. Coilovers front, icon 2.5 rem res shocks rear, deavers 10 pack leafspring rear. Light racing ouca. Cmc, avid light bar, bamf sliders weld on, grillcraft mx grill, bamf light bracket with lightforce 170's. Uws toolbox, oem bed mat, weathertechs f/r, hella airhorns, trd antenna, talegate mod, Clifford alarm, budbuilt full skid plate set. All pro rear bumper. Superbumps bumpstops. Bulldog lighting reverse led lights in bumper. Trd short throw shifter. Cobra cb, firestick 4' ant. Icon LCA skids. Bamf rear dif skid. Hi lift x-treme mounted with relentless rail mounts in bed. Full size method/bfg in bed. Crown performance ss/Kevlar brake lines. Power tank mounted in bed. Rigid d2s mounted on relentless hood mounts. H3R quick release fire extinguisher mounted to driver's seat. Redline hood struts.
    Grace auto body in south San Francisco used to be bad ass before, not positive about now.

3. Jul 8, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    TacomaTSP4

TacomaTSP4 Go Big or Go Home!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Industrial AutoBody in SF. They are across the street from my work. They have worked on a few of our vehicles. Never had a problem and a great owner!

4. Jul 9, 2014 at 6:48 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Here's a few tips...

Eurocraft Auto Body fixed my wife's Matrix several years ago after she was t-bone'd in a parking lot. We still have that car (it's an '04), and the paint and body work are still in good shape. They had extra paint left over, and instead of just wasting it, they took the front fascia off (wasn't even involved in the accident) and repainted it (chipped from road debris). Their customer service was great, work was great, and they didn't dick us around on the estimate, insurance or anything else.

Cologne Auto Body in Belmont - AVOID. I had my '14 Tacoma in there a few months ago. I did a stupid thing, thought "R" was "1" (6 speed) when I was in a rush, and backed it HARD into my house (house shrugged it off, Tacoma, not so much). A 1 week repair time became 2, which suddenly became 3. I understand they kept finding "issues", but they never communicated anything with me. When I got the truck back, the rear wiring wasn't put back together, they blew my tail light fuse, put the bumper on crooked and left the interior of the truck a complete mess. Oh, they also didn't apply the replacement TRD decal properly (this, after I told them to not put it on, since I wanted to debadge).

If you want to travel a little, check out Marty's Chop Shop down in Campbell (don't let the name fool you). They painted my shell in February, to color match, and did a great job. It's a small shop, the 'waiting area' isn't much of one, but it's a clean shop, organized, and they don't BS you about anything. He does lots of restoration work on old cars (saw a nice '49 Caddy down there last time, as well as some Fords) and puts his reputation out there in the car show circles.

5. Jul 11, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    ReddingtonTRD

ReddingtonTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 TX Baja, Black 6-speed
    Build: 2013 Tacoma TX Baja Access Cab 6-Speed Manual *denotes stock feature for Baja Exterior/Performance *TX Baja Series Badging (small sticker--no large “Baja”), Red TRD badge on tailgate Billet 14” antenna Hitch cap Softopper with interchangeable mesh/solid rear doors, doggie door at cab, and dust bag *TRD Cat-back exhaust DeMello Bolt-On Hybrid Rock Sliders TRD front aluminum skid plate *TRD Gun Metal Gray Beadlock Style Wheels *BFG A/T 265/70/16 LED plates lights (thx CSJumper) Interior/Performance *Toyota HD Flooring throughout cab...entirely weatherproof. No carpeting TRD Quickshifter TRD Shift knob, MOMO knob, *Stock leather knob Uniden Radio/Walkies LED Replacement Bulbs (CS…again) Suspension *Front 3” TRD racing coils *60mm HD Bilstein (TRD custom valved in San Antonio) front shocks. Similar to 9100/9300s w/ bumpstop *Modified bumpstops by TRD in San Antonio *50mm Bilstein (TRD custom valved by TRD in San Antonio) *Tuned 3 leaf + overlo
    Thanks for all the great info! :)

6. Jul 29, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    Grace is terrible. I had another car repainted there. They had a lifetime guarantee. Well 3 years later the the clear coat started to peel in one area. The old guy who owns the place started yelling saying I'm trying to defraud him because their paint jobs never peel. He offered to fix it but he said don't come back after that. Their fix was buffing the edges of where it peeled off. It's a hack job but the peeling hasn't spread.

7. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    the glen

the glen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    penisula
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road 6SP manual spruce mica Taco
    Icon 2.5 remote res. Coilovers front, icon 2.5 rem res shocks rear, deavers 10 pack leafspring rear. Light racing ouca. Cmc, avid light bar, bamf sliders weld on, grillcraft mx grill, bamf light bracket with lightforce 170's. Uws toolbox, oem bed mat, weathertechs f/r, hella airhorns, trd antenna, talegate mod, Clifford alarm, budbuilt full skid plate set. All pro rear bumper. Superbumps bumpstops. Bulldog lighting reverse led lights in bumper. Trd short throw shifter. Cobra cb, firestick 4' ant. Icon LCA skids. Bamf rear dif skid. Hi lift x-treme mounted with relentless rail mounts in bed. Full size method/bfg in bed. Crown performance ss/Kevlar brake lines. Power tank mounted in bed. Rigid d2s mounted on relentless hood mounts. H3R quick release fire extinguisher mounted to driver's seat. Redline hood struts.
    Yeah that's sad, cause they were bad ass when Gary used to be the owner.

8. Jul 29, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    In a previous life I was the wholesale parts manager at a Toyota dealership in The City. I dealt with untold amounts of body shops. A serious auto guy and a lifetime friend works at Cars Dawydiak in The City. Unfortunately they do not work on Toyotas. They do have a sister shop on Bush st called Charles Henry and the shop manager, Vee, is a straight up kinda fella. When my Taco was totaled, I brought it to Don's Auto Body on Bush St. The owner, Don, has always treated me like family and I trust his shops(Bottas Auto Body and both Don's Auto Body locations). The main thing you do not want in a body shop is if they are a "volume" shop or a "production" based type of shop. Most of those types focus only on speed and customer satisfaction surveys(counting on an uninformed and unknowing customer who is only satisfied by the speed of the repair, not the quality).

I say find a smallish shop that focuses only on customer relationships.

Products Discussed in

To Top