1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rubicon Trail trip, May 2nd-3rd

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by mightytacoman, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Apr 10, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman [OP] Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    As the title states I'm trying to organize a few rigs to tackle the Rubicon the weekend of May 2nd-3rd. I'm only in Cali till July so my chances to try the trail are limited. I'm pretty sure there are no Jamborees or other special events on the trail that weekend. I've never tried the trail myself so having someone to go with that has completed it would be awesome. I'm also asking for help if anyone knows another spot to post this if I don't any takers (ex- Meetup.com) So what do you guys say? Anyone up for the "premier" Off-road trail that weekend?

2. Apr 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    tacovinny

tacovinny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Bay area
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 v6
    ive got an itch to do it. Ive got the weekend off so im down to spend a night!

3. Apr 12, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    I'd say minimum requirements would be sliders, high clearance front, some belly armor, and 33" tires. Anyone feel free to chime in if they agree or disagree

4. Apr 12, 2015 at 9:05 AM
    tacovinny

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Bay area
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 v6
    depends on how much damage they want lol. a stock wrangler can make it through with bypasses and the right guidence. food for thought.

5. Apr 12, 2015 at 9:18 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    True, even with all that, 35" tires, a locker, and taking my time, I don't expect to complete it without some damage

6. Apr 12, 2015 at 5:17 PM
    530Taco

530Taco Gone fishin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Old Hangtown, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR MT Cement
    My buddy had mentioned a trip in his Jeep that same weekend, I'll see what his plans are. I've never driven the trail, but I've rolled along a few times with others. I've seen a nearly stock '01 with sliders and a locker limp his way up with no major damage. After meeting both of you yesterday, I think you would both be just fine, especially after a few more weeks of drying out the trail. If I can't make it, at least hit me up for a beer when you drive through Placerville!

7. Apr 13, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    You and your buddy with the jeep can come, we won't hold it against you:p

8. Apr 13, 2015 at 8:00 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    You might want to ask Jberry he lives right next to the Rubicon.

9. Apr 13, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    This trail is on my bucket list! I've always wanted to do it! But my truck isn't even close to being ready for that trail, My sliders are on order But I still need the skid plates & high clearance bumpers.

10. Apr 13, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    530Taco

530Taco Gone fishin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Old Hangtown, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR MT Cement
    I know, I know maybe you swing back to Cali for a stint again down the road! A year or two and the new one will be much closer to rubicon ready! She just hit 2500 miles coming back from the meet!

11. Apr 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    I just sent him a message about it

I might end up in Cali again down the road. I gotta plant roots somewhere someday :) but for now I got a burning itch to do the rubicon that no penicillin or cream can cure

12. Apr 15, 2015 at 7:15 AM
    TacomaTSP4

TacomaTSP4 Go Big or Go Home!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Rohnert Park, CA
    I might be in for this of me rig is ready to go by then...redoing the cooling system for moab trip next month. Aluminum radiator, tranny cooler w/ fan, and bigger power steering cooler.

13. Apr 15, 2015 at 8:57 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Well let me know, so far I've got a few maybe's but no one for sure going. Got a few more people over on pirate 4x4 saying they will probably go too. I'm planning on it taking 2 days to complete the trail and absolute worst case senario 3 days. Planned on starting the trail by Loon Lake and driving East down the trail towards Tahoe. Already got a map on the gps for it and if I cant find someone to go with who has already been then I'll trail lead this beast

14. Apr 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Sub'd... :spy:

15. Apr 15, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    tacovinny

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Bay area
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 v6
    you can put me down for a def. Should have some skids too by then

16. Apr 16, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    i guess i am in too.. depending on how many rigs.. are going.. that place can get small really fast..

17. Apr 16, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    I won't have enough skid coverage for this one, but have fun!

18. Apr 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    Really can go wrong with the CON and MOAB in the same month. Not to mention My birthday in the Middle!! Woot

19. Apr 16, 2015 at 1:09 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Sounds good guys
    tally for who's going so far: 4 - 6 rigs

Mightytacoman- Kel
    TacoVinny- Vince
    07trd4x4- Greg
    A jeep guy from Hollister- John
    and 2 possibly 3 from pirate4x4 at this point

Figured I should mention this to-
    Currently there isn't a fire ban but a permit is required for a campfire (available at the ranger station)
    Everything we bring in, we gotta carry out (including human waste)
    They want you to have a spill kit available in case you get a fluid leak. I'm gonna bring my oil catch pan and rags.
    The trail is patrolled by Rangers so drinking and driving isn't allowed in theory
    Ham radio or satellite phone is the only way to contact the outside world once your on the trail
    Bring spare tools and parts. I'll be bringing up an extra u- joint, cv axle, inner and outer tie rod ends and a full size spare tire. Recovery gear including a snatch block, a tow strap, a recovery strap, 4 - D-shackles, a Hi-lift jack, and my winch.

added 4/26/15
    So the plan is to meet at the spillway by Loon lake at
    8am Saturday (5/2/15) morning.
    The directions that I found online state this about the Loon lake entrance and how to get there.
    Loon Lake
    From Highway 50, turn
    left on to Ice House Road.
    Follow Icehouse Road for approximately 28 miles until you hit the Loon Lake road which goes to the right. Follow it about another 4 miles until you cross the second Loon Lake dam, which puts you at what is called the spillway. You are now at the start of the Rubicon.

I'll add things to this post as necessary so keep an eye on it and let me know if you guys want me to add anything

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  20. Apr 16, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    SACTOWN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    i wished JAY still worked that area.. LOL.... wonder if he will want to come

Products Discussed in

To Top