Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Front License Plate Mounting?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Front License Plate Mounting?

Any input would be appreciated but a Cops input would be great.

Anyway, I saw that another Californian member of the forum chopped up and recessed his front license plate:

I like the look of it and would like to do it to mine but I'm not going to bother if it's something that will just get me instantly pulled over. All I could really find on the CA DMV site is:
5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground...

I think it's clearly visible. A red light or security camera should still be able to make it out and there's no other info on the front plate since the expiration date is on the back. So what's the verdict?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
RevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Master Sergeant
Name: Nathan
RevHard6's Tacoma Gallery
Not a cop, but any "violation" is up to the cop's discretion. If, in his opinion, it's not clearly visible you can still get a ticket. Bottom line, it's all dependant on the cop's mood.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ It is against the law to deface the plate. When I was working at a local motorcycle shop several riders would "mold" the plates on their bike to conform to the rounded line of the rear fender. They talked about receiving tickets for modifying the plate which is considered property of the state.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
nasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nice
nasty ned's Tacoma Gallery
i'm pretty sure that the state must be shown in original form
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
definitely illegal. You cant modify the plate in any way.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the all of the input, had a feeling that would be the consensus.

Damn this state with their front plates and no tint allowed on the front windows. I'd like to do the plate mod and tint my windows but I'm not going to give them a reason to pull me over and ticket me so this broke state can make a couple bucks.

Since I'm in the military my home of record is WV. I could always drive cross country, register my vehicle there and then do away with the California laws. I think a trip may be in order...