1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modesto Area Members?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by lembowski, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    lembowski

lembowski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I have an opportunity within my company to move up to the Modesto area as sales manager. I'm not at all familiar with the area and have only went to our headquarters in Lodi a few times for a day.

Anyone have any positive or negative things to say about the area? I wouldn't have to live in Modesto, my territory would stretch from Modesto, Livermore, Stockton and Merced.

Thanks guys!

2. May 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Modesto is a pretty big city... and like any other bigger city there are better parts and worse parts. If you are not absolutely forced to be in Modesto i would venture a few miles further south. Once you get past Turlock you pretty much get out of commuting distance of the bay area and the housing prices drop off significantly. I grew up in Turlock. Its a pretty nice small city.

3. May 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Or you could go out to Oakdale which is a pretty cool "small" town

4. May 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Thanks for the input guys! It would come with a very substancial pay raise so I'm hoping it is much cheaper to live there compared to San Diego so I can eventually buy a place......or just more mods lol.

5. May 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:

Will definitely be a lot cheaper than san diego, but its a different world from san diego. youre a 2 hours drive from the beach. Mostly farm land.

6. May 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    booboy

booboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PaCiFiC nOrThWeSt
    Vehicle:
    2010 TrD SpOrT 4x4
    I was born and raised in Stockton but moved up to the Pacific Northwest about 8 years ago. I go back down to Stockton every year to visit family and I'm ready to leave by the second day (if that tells you anything). Stockton ranked #1 in Forbes for the most miserable cities to live in. Modesto & Sacramento were in the top 5 as well. But if you end up going to Stockton hit up Dave Wong's resturant off of March lane. Good luck with your choice.

7. May 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Yeah, there are always trade offs. Unfortunately what I'm making in San Diego right now won't allow me to purchase a place for many years, so this may be a good opportunity for me to advance in the company and at home.

I really don't go to the beach much anymore anyways, its nice to look at but I haven't been in it for over a year.

8. May 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Yeah unfortunately I read that article lol

Hopefuly I can keep myself busy on the weekends with Yosemite and going to San Fran. Hope I end up getting the transfer, I will be up in that area late next week/weekend meeting with the team in the Golden River office so I hope to get a good feel of the area.

9. May 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Assuming that you are talking about Gold River that is up in the Sacramento Area specifically Rancho Cordova & is a few miles from where I work.

10. May 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Rumor is he is a bouncer/Dj at a local gold club out in Rancho

11. May 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Eh,... i wouldnt go on what forbes says. that's more of a businessman type magazine and im sure they prefer the bay area. personally i hate the bay area and just about any other "big" city for that matter. I think sacramento is a great place to live, obviously depending on where. just like any other city there are good parts and bad parts and whether you like a certain place is totally dependent on the person. Lots of people love the area. Hell people like the north east. I hated boston. snow is the most miserable thing on the planet and it rains all summer... blah...

12. May 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    :anonymous: :bananadance:

13. May 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    I lived in Modesto from 6th grade through high school and graduated from Modesto High. After college I ended up with a job back in Modesto and lived in Atwater, which is just north of Merced for another 3 years.

Modesto itself, I hate. Filled with posers and pricks. There's a couple "nice" parts of town, but its fucking weird. Litterally two blocks away you hit a ghetto and a couple more blocks you're back in a nice hood again. I do like the downtown feel of Modesto since it got a face lift a few years back. As to where to live, I say stay to the North or North East side towards Oakdale.

As Seth said, there are some decent smaller towns to live in outside of Modesto. Turlock, Oakdale, hell even Livingston as examples arn't terrible given the right area. If you're a redneck at all it's not hard to blend in to the cow towns.

One of my biggest beef, the climate. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and mostly miserable the rest of the time. Not cold enough to snow, but when it rains and it's 38*, it just sucks. Expect ~2-4 weeks a year of 100* plus in the summer. It's a huge climate change from San Diego.

Accurately named the valley because it's wedged in between two mountain ranges. So all the smog and shit from the bay area floats over to central valley and just gets stuck. You have this eternal haze.

There are certainly benifits though. You are VERY central. Modesto is only 1:45-2 hours minutes from Dodge Ridge if you like to ski/snowboard. 3ish hours to Tahoe. Couple hours to bay area. Couple hours to Yosemite. Day trips to pretty much anywhere are very doable.

I moved out the bay area for primarily two reasons.
    1) I didn't want my kids growing up in that area. Look there's no sugar coating it. Modesto/Stockton area have a lot of crime. I just prefered to bring them up in a better area (and this is just my opinion)
    2) When my first son was born he had some asthma issues and was always getting sick. The air quality sucks in the valley. Litterally a month after we moved out to the bay area we threw away his inhalers and havn't had a problem since.

14. May 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    tbone12

tbone12 j.o.w.c.o.

Member:
    First Name:
    Terra
    central valley california
    i live in modesto now. just like any city, it has its good and bad parts. if youre not looking to live here, then you should be good

15. May 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    i live in modesto now. i think it just gets a bad rep from magazines like forbes and stuff. turlock would probably be your best bet for a place to live, or even oakdale. theres really nothing bad about modesto, it is about a hour and a half away from everything, like the mountains and the beaches

16. May 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Fuck forbes and the magazines. I make my own opinions as I suggest everyone make their own. Having lived there for 10 years, in my opinion I can tell you Modesto IS as bad as most people make it out to be. Airport district, south side and west side being by far the areas you want to steer clear of the most. Modesto isn't really huge either so even when you're all the way on the other side of town you're still relatively close to the crap neighborhoods. It's only has a population of barely 200,000 and yet it has one of the highest crime rates in the US. I had 3 cars broken into while I lived there (of which only once was in the really bad neighborhoods I mentioned earlier). I'm sorry, but unless you're living up in Del Rio, there's no part of Modesto I consider a "good" neighborhood.

Unfortunatley I have to move away to realize it. When I lived there I didn't really think it was "that bad." Once I moved away though, I wonder how I ever lived there to start with. Just my 2 cents.

17. May 25, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, well the bay area sucks ass too. too expensive... too much traffic. you have to drop 700K plus on a house to live in a decent neighbor hood. Its cold as hell in the winter. too far from the mountains. Lots of self pretentious douche bags. When i lived there i never thought i would be able to afford a home. I moved to roseville and within 9 months we bought a house.

18. May 25, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Hell I like Roseville. And you know damn well your winters are colder than mine. Either way, we're talking Modesto area though, not Sac or Bay Area :)

19. May 25, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. Would never live in Modesto but lots of other nice towns in that area.

20. May 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    booboy

booboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PaCiFiC nOrThWeSt
    Vehicle:
    2010 TrD SpOrT 4x4
    It's been a while since I've been back down to California but how's Manteca and Tracy looking? They were both developing before I left. OP, are those cities an option?

Products Discussed in

To Top