1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Texas guy with a weird question for Cali peeps

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by Yamaha Dave, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I got a weird question that just baffles me. I've heard this from a few native Californians and I'm just trying to understand you guys' reason for this. Now this is just a general serious question. So I was at a hotel in Lake Tahoe this past Dec. and met some guy and his family. He asked where I was from and just to make convo I asked him the same. He said, "We're from Orange County."

:confused:

First thing I though to myself was, "huh, well Orange County is a big place idiot and that tells me nothing." I mean I don't go around telling people I'm from Harris County (where I'm originally from - Hou, TX) which happens to be an even larger and more populous county than Orange County. So the only thing I could think of maybe it's just a part of their culture??? Or maybe he is saying it because he thinks that I will be impressed because all of the T.V. shows about the area, i.e. Laguna Beach, the Hills, Real house wives. I'm not sure but I was leaning towards the later half because of the way he said it, he was realll proud. This is the third native Californian that has said this exact same thing. So what is the reason behind this? BTW this is in no way meant to be offensive or anything like that, it's just a general question.

2. May 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    You just answered your own question. Its because Orange county is such a big area. If he said something like, "im from mission viejo or yorba linda," most people that are not from california would think, well where the fuck is that??

Just like me, if I told you im from chula vista, would you know where that is? Probably not. So, its more practical for me to just say San diego.

3. May 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    Im not sure but most people are wierd out here! :p They also dont say I-8 or I-805 but say THE 8 or THE 805 for their highways. I have caught myslef doing that now as well... I am originally from your neighbor to the north... Oklahoma... LOL

4. May 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Yep, I grew up in La Habra, which is in Orange County. People from Orange County don't even know exactly where La Habra is... so when I went off to Europe, and know that I'm up in school in northern cal, i just say Orange county. Even the Hungarian waiters on vacation knew where orange county was. It's not that we are super proud to be from OC because its famous and there are shows filled there (in fact i think most of the locals including me think those shows that try to portray OC is a joke) its just people know it better than all the little towns in it. Unless we say "i live next to disneyland" usually "Orange County" suffices.
    But don't get me wrong.. I'm sure there are some out there that are trying to be pretentious too!

5. May 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    So than it's just a California thing. Because like I mentioned Harris County is larger than Orange County, but if I'm out of state I don't say "I'm from Harris County." I say I'm from Houston because Houston is the major city in Harris County. But inside of Harris County are smaller areas i.e. Friendswood, Clear Lake, Pasadena, Pearland. But even if I'm from say Clear Lake, I still say I'm from Houston.

See you will say the practical thing like San Diego, and most people can somewhat associate where that city is on a map. That is what I do when I say Houston. But others just use the county, why did the guy just not say "I'm from Newport Beach, it's just outside of San Diego." Or just flat out say "We're from the San Diego area." Maybe I am over thinking this but it was just baffling as hell as why anyone would voluntarily say this.

Well that explains it then. I'm pretty sure the guy was saying it in this manner. Just kind of made me confused and laughed a little inside because he was trying so hard..

6. May 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Its easier to describe where you are from by region than by city. Not that many people outside California, even people from California, know where some of the city's are so saying I'm from Orange County, versus saying I'm from Westminster is easier to describe and understand.

7. May 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    I say O.C. because its better known then my little city. Although Mark Sanchez has helped in putting our little city on the map.you are right to say Houston as most everyone knows where its at, Harris co? wheres that?
    p.s. those shows do not portray O.C. in real life and Newport Beach is in O.C. not San Diego.

8. May 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    And thats why he probably said orange country, because its more PRACTICAL

And btw, Newport beach is not just outside San diego.

9. May 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Its a regional thing, not a Cali thing. So you give the city your from right? Do you think people from New York City might say the same about you only giving a city? They break it down farther with boroughs, and then even farther with communites inside each borough. IE Greenwich Village is inside Manhattan which is inside NYC. You have decided that saying a city is best for your area to describe to others where you are. I think each geographic area can decide for themselves what is the best way for others to understand.

I guess my point is, why would I tell you that you dont know how to describe your area when you are the one that lives there?

10. May 1, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    ok idk why i came in here(no pun intended) but i say knoxville even tho i’m like 25 min from knoxville. because if i said where i lived you would say” where the fuck is that” i have meet people around here that don’t even know where i live when i tell them.

11. May 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    Its a regional thing, not a Cali thing.

12. May 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Shit I do that and I'm from Texas. People don't know where Southlake is, but everyone knows DFW

13. May 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Member:
    Yeah but the point is you say you're from Dallas -FT.Worth, you don't go around saying I'm from Dallas County, or Tarrant County.

So basically the only people who say they are from a particular county are from Orange County. Everyone outside of Orange County says their from a particular city around the actual area they are really from. Regional thing, got it.

14. May 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    Damn, this is so true, but I think it applies to all of California. I grew up saying "THE" before highway/freeway numbers and just recently discovered this was a CA thing. Blew my mind.

I'm from OC, but usually just say California. I think anyone that says "Orange County" definitely fits in that category of just wanting to brag about where they are from.

15. May 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    I used to get that shit all the time when I was in the Corps. People would ask where you from, "San Jose", I'd reply. They'd say, "where is that?" well, "it's in the south bay, it's the 10th largest city in the country...(quizzical look on their face),"fuck it, I'm from San Francisco". Oh San Francisco, thanks for only being known for hippies and alternative life styles...

16. May 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I would respond, "Orlando is nice this time of year". I know cities, not counties.

17. May 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    DING DING DING we have a winnah herrre!!

18. May 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
    I stay in Walnut. Anyone know where that is???

19. May 5, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    As a former LA County denizen, I think there's probably also a factor of wanting to let you know they're from SoCal without being stuck with the "LA" label. The city of Los Angeles is rather small, but the greater LA metro area is enormous and includes Orange County. I always figured that OC residents just use it as a way of separating themselves from the rest of LA. Nothing necessarily pretentious about it.

20. May 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Bronathan05

Bronathan05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCSB
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Toytec 3" ULK, Flow Master Exhaust, AFE CAI, Painted engine cover, Wet okole Seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Retrofit headlights, LED aftermarket tail lights, and hopefully the list doesn't continue much longer.
    I usually tell people Im from LA. Yet Im about 20 minutes away from the city. Then if someone asks for a more precise location then I let em know what city Im actually from.

Products Discussed in

To Top