1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torque Wrench

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by CaliAsh, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    Looking for recommendations for torque wrenches. I am trying to fill out my toolbox for maintenance/mods and I am just not sure what to get. I tried the inexpensive harbor freight route with no luck (returned 3 bad wrenches) and not willing to roll the dice again.

Suggestions on which type would be appreciated as well (click, manual guage, digital) would be appreciated as well.

2. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I have 2 needle torque wrenches and 3 clickers. The 2 needle ones are accurate enough, and any brand would due. The clickers, I have craftsman, an inch pound, a 20-150 ftlb, and a 25-250 ftlb. I don't use them but once a month, so they are good for me for light use, but if you would use them every day, go with Matco, Snap on, or Mac. Those are more for heavy use, and the price will reflect that. You get what you pay for. Hope this helps, good luck.

3. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    I bought a Great Neck clicker style wrench 20-25 years ago and it's still going strong to this day. I can't speak to their present-day quality, but I've never had any problems with this wrench and it was even made in Taiwan. I keep it in it's own box so it can't get knocked around and only use it for torquing.

[​IMG]

4. Feb 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    coseng

coseng Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grove City, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DC
    OME 885x front, Dakars rear, LR UCAs, ECGS bushing
    I have a craftsman 1/2" that I use most often for tire changes/rotations. I have harbor freight 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" for infrequent use. The harbor freight ones have been fine for me. What happened to yours?

5. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    CaliAsh

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    First HF wrench was totally frozen (couldn't adjust torque setting). I was able to adjust and use the second one once, then it would not adjust after that. Third one basically fell apart when I took it out of the box. I have picked up some good items from Harbor Freight and basically have the mindset that some things they sell are hit and miss. The torque wrench basically struck out :)

I am not a mechanic by trade so these tools will not be used on a daily basis. I just wanted to keep things in spec when I do work on my truck.

I picked up a needle 1/2" craftsman today for basic stuff, but will be researching more.

Thanks for the input folks.

6. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    I (my dad) have a Craftsman torque wrench that has the spinner dial on the bottom that you rotate to the desired setting and "clicks" when you tighten something to that number. Hasn't let me down yet.

7. Feb 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    CaliAsh

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    I was looking at those and will probably get one as well.

8. Feb 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    the craftsman spinners are OK, but the springs do wear out after a while. you can "calibrate" them with a standard needle wrench every few months. I wouldn't get bent out of shape though. we're not doing anything life critical like landing a dood on the moon so we're cool.

however, if you were doing something important like TTY bolts on a flywheel, I would go with calibrated wrench, a needle wrench, or someone w/ a snap on, mac or similar (if someone has one to borrow. ;)

9. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    w3tw0rks

w3tw0rks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Xtracab 4x4
    I have a Husky brand I purchased from Home Depot about 2 years ago or so for like $80. It's only seen light use and it's been fine for me. This is one tool I don't drop or throw around maybe that's why it's been working for me this long.

10. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Same here i use it all the time and it has a life time warranty.

11. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    deez

deez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    The I.E. - SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2002 V6 SR5 TRD 4WD
    Too many to list
    I have a Husky 1/2" torque that I use for my lugs and a CDI 3/8" for smaller jobs that require more accurate tolerances.

CDI is a division of Snap-On (at a much lower price point).

http://www.cditorque.com/

12. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    miacevedo

miacevedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    SuperWhite 4X4
    All Pro Hybrid front bumper. All Pro rock sliders. Warn Winch. Icon 2.5 Remote Resi Coilovers & Rear Icon 2.0 Extended Remote Resi's. AP Standard leafs. Rear SuperBumps. OEM bed mat and All Weather floor mats. Pelfreybilt IFS Skid. Method NV wheels on 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT2.
    Snap On.

13. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
  14. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i like the SK line of torque wrenches. i have a craftman 3/8th drive. it is fairly accurate, but turning the handle is tricky. mine sometime sticks.

i borrowed my buddies SK 1/2" drive and that thing adjust like silk. about $140, so cheaper than snap on for sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top