1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tires

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by whonoez, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Aug 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    whonoez

whonoez [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    3"lift, Monster XD w/ 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Blacked out emblems, tinted front windows, BHLM
    What tires are you guys running on your trucks? I'm confused and want some suggestions. I don't off road much, mostly commute which is a 25 mile commute to work and the same back home. Take long drives to Reno/Vegas etc. the tires I really want are the Nitto Trail Grapplers (285/65/18). Any input would be great. I ask here because I'm from Fairfield and alot of you guys are pretty close so you would know the types of weather conditions I have to go thru.

2. Aug 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    I got 285 Trail Grapplers, they look amazing, kick ass off road, and are good on the street for a mud tire.

3. Aug 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Your question is kinda vague. You're asking for a tire suggestion, saying you like a mud terrain tire, but do alot of highway driving. Usually those two don't go together in most peoples minds. Maybe for looks?

I have put 60K miles on a set of 285/70/17 BFG M/T KM2's and I loved them. I just got ahold of a set of 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country M/T's and so far am loving them as well.

I'm recommending both for highway driving. Tacoma's usually get pretty good tire mileage due to being a light truck. The BFG KM2's are amazing in the snow, have been through snow over my hood without too much issue... they didn't get me out of the ditch I found by being stupid but thats not the tires fault :)

I can't say from experience on the Toyo's yet, they're alot stiffer tread though and likely wont have the same performance off road on slippery surfaces.

4. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    It's all opinion. I'm a fan of the BFG All Terrain K/O's. Great wear, great on/off highway traction and they are a tire that started the All Terrain category of tires!

5. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    dph473

dph473 Active Member

Member:
    I commute the same distance you do one-way each day to work. I drive all freeway and what little off-road I encounter is some light snow or loose gravel on mild terrain. I chose Continental CrossContact LX20 with Eco-Plus. It's a very quiet tire and smooth ride for what I use the truck for.
    If you actually do real off-road driving, don't buy this tire.

6. Aug 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    It's been stated but I'll say it again...that's a really aggressive tire for mostly highway.

I bought my truck last december and it came with General Grabber AW tires. They work pretty well on the road. For off road and the kind of off road I do they actually do okay, but not great. They've lost a lot of lugs and I've gotten one flat on gravel.

I'm going to where them down and then get something better next year. I'm going to go with a taller skinny tire, but not super tall..like a 235 85 R16. I think any taller and I'd be looking at re gearing. I have other hobbies that cost a lot. Maybe something like a General Gapper AT2 or BFG AT. That way I still have a more aggressive tire that gives me more pounds per square inch = more traction and it's not super heavy obliterating my mpgs.

I'm constantly looking at other truck's tires. My girlfriend is always looking at me funny when I'm staring at a tire up close on some else's truck.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  7. Aug 23, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    FWIW I was still able to get 19mpg highway on the KM2's. Forgot to mention that. Average usually around 17 though.

8. Aug 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    If your looking for an "aggressive" style tire, but good for on road conditions and off road then I'd say go with Duratracs. I don't speak from experience but they are the most aggressive all terrain tire and from what I've read they do well with "light" off road trails. I'd go that route if your looking for an aggressive tire that does well on pavement. Again, this is only from my research and findings.

9. Aug 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    whonoez

whonoez [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    3"lift, Monster XD w/ 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Blacked out emblems, tinted front windows, BHLM
    Thanks for the input TW members. Still debating tho

10. Aug 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Had 285 toyos before my 12.50s. Had them for 5 years, sold them(a year ago) and they're still being ran on a 2nd gen tacoma. Great offroad, good on road too. Love them, my dad and I are both on our second set and hopefully a third on another truck late this year.

11. Oct 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    265 75 16 is the general consensus here with no lift. Basically you can go with any AT tire from there. No rubbing issues at all running that size

12. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    I have Duratracs in that tire size and I had to removed the front mudguards (small one on front of the wheel well and the regular one on the back of the wheel well) while I was still on stock suspension. It would rub the guards with the front wheels at full lock just sitting on level ground and not driving. I do get 17-18 MPG highway with the duratracs and my current armor set up (just checked it today on a long highway trip)

The tire size he stated (285/65/18) are wider and are about 1" longer in diameter so I would guess they would rub pretty bad with a stock suspension.

13. Oct 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    THIS!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top