LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Are winches just as effective as 4 wheel drive?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Are winches just as effective as 4 wheel drive?

I have a 05 prerunner. And was looking at converting to 4 wheel drive but know it's expensive. Is a winch just as effective in a situation where 4 wheel drive is needed
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
no. Using a winch takes a lot longer than using 4wd to drive through something
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold

#Murphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickalapos View Post
I have a 05 prerunner. And was looking at converting to 4 wheel drive but know it's expensive. Is a winch just as effective in a situation where 4 wheel drive is needed
Well, for one it would be very annoying if i had to hook a winch up for everytime i use four wheel drive. Juss Sayin
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
haha 4wd is to keep you from getting stuck. a winch is used to get you unstuck...if your in mudd you will get real dirty! lolz and to use a winch you have to have something to hook up too. if your out on the beach chances are your SOL unless there is another truck to pull you out
Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
FLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFLtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Understandable 4 wheel prevents you from getting stuck but sence I lack 4 wheel and it would be expensive to convert a winch can't be a bad idea for if I do get stuck right? And 90 percent of time I go off road I'm in the woods so I'd have something to hook to.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
haha 4wd is to keep you from getting stuck. a winch is used to get you unstuck...if your in mudd you will get real dirty! lolz and to use a winch you have to have something to hook up too. if your out on the beach chances are your SOL unless there is another truck to pull you out
That was going to be my response. If you don't have anything to hook to your winch becomes a very large paper weight. It may help if you take it off and mount it over the back axel for extra weight in that situation
Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold

#Murphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Bring an anchor too hook up to haha. You could wheel at this beach http://www.cncholidays.co.uk/Gallery...rril_Beach.JPG
Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont have a locker already get one.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Literally dragging along a trail doesn't sound like much fun. Also you will probably overheat the winch a lot.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Trust me, rigging a winch is not slow and not fun...if you have to do that all through a trail, I would rather hike home.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You need to pick your trails wisely my friend.

If you do not have 4WD, then your trail choices should not be of the 'serious' kind.

Winches should only be for 'emergency' situations where you get yourself into unpredictable situations. They are not to be used as 'traction' devices.

Using a winch can be dangerous not only for you, but for everyone else around you.

Do you have a tow strap? I hope you're not wheeling alone....
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #12

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all makes sence. I'll loom for a cheap 4 wheel drive vehical instead.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on rear locker.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you all makes sence. I'll loom for a cheap 4 wheel drive vehical instead.
There ya go!!! Keep the prerunner as your daily driver and get another vehicle that you can work on, build it up, and learn from. It's great fun!! You'll love the learning experience!!! Good Luck in your hunt for a trail rig!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #15

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you. I have a 3" lift on my 05 right now still would like to get a 6". Anybody look down on trucks that look bad ass but aren't?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
More lift really wont help much. You will still be a 2 wheel drive just a bit higher off of the ground. I'd get a Wrangler or something on the side to wheel. I'd get one myself if I wanted to do some hardcore stuff even though my truck is 4wd.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Get you some of this. Little on the high side, but I can immediately see how effective these are compared to anything else out there.

https://www.maxtrax.com.au/
Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #18

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't expect 6" to improve my 2wheel drives ability on trail only to look nice was asking if making a vehical look nice and trail ready was stupid if it wasn't capable. And in all reality I don't trail much at all the occasional mud pit which my two wheel has seemed to handle fine. I was thinking a winch for those mud pits that are deeper than they look. So in all reality winch might not be bad idea. Thanks for help fellas. Also sence I'm on iPhone and can't put pictures on profile here's a link to my face book with two photos of it.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1303384241
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you. I have a 3" lift on my 05 right now still would like to get a 6". Anybody look down on trucks that look bad ass but aren't?
I do, but that being said, don't let other peoples opinions decide what you do to your vehicle. I'd rather see a badass 2wd that still goes and gets dirty once in a while, then a giant lifted 4wd that never sees even a gravel driveway, let alone off road.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #20

FLtaco's Tacoma Gallery
True that I planned on doing what I wanted anyway just was curious to opinions on it so if I looked like a jackass I knew it lol. But thanks I will still do it. Cause I like to play in the mud with my 2wd. And like I've always said if you know how to drive a 2wd good enough you won't get stuck!