Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

CO off road trip with my wife...... LOTS of pics

Old 07-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
CO off road trip with my wife...... LOTS of pics

hey all,

a few weekends ago, my wife and i went to the 4x4/jeep/off-road expo in denver and we stopped at an exhibitor selling "adler publishing" trail books. so we picked up the CO front range and central region trail books:
http://www.adlerpublishing.com/products.aspx?catID=2

they are awesome books that fully describe the trail with the difficulty, distance, history, description, the exact directions to get through the trail, etc... here is a sample page:

so, i planned a trip to take us near all many of the old mining towns that we could. here is a history of the area (great read): http://www.gilpintram.com/index.html

the mining towns/mines we visited:
  • Russell Gultch
  • Glory hole mine
  • Central city
  • Nevadaville/Bald mountain
  • Hamlin gultch
  • Boodle Mill
  • Apex
  • Tolland
  • Rollinsville
  • various graveyards
i chose trail #20, #19, and #16 from the front range book. they are low rated trails (1 and 3 rating). i chose these because i am still a novice in off-roading and i wanted to make sure that we could get through with no problem and to test my skills. after running the trails, i could easily step up to a 4, if not a 5 rated trail. there were a couple of spots that having a 4x4 was helpful, but you could get through the trails with a 2wd. i used 4Lo sometimes just to keep my speed down because some of the sections of trails were at an 18% grade.

i also picked up the TOPO software from adler publishing so i could precisely map out the route and directions. which was very helpful because there are hundreds of miles of trails out there and it is easy to get lost. here is the start of the trail (in yellow) that i mapped out in the software.

we picked today to go because it was a beautiful day in colorado... and because westminster was over 100 degrees today the mountains were only in the 80's

anyway.... here are the pics of the trip:

paved trail head in Idaho Springs.

going up the "oh my god trail" i guess they call it that because of the steep drops, but the trail is wide enough for 2 vehicles.. so i dunno

this shack was for sale.. ohh, the possibilities

old mining structure

evidence of mining

mining equipment

small mining "town"

Russell gultch. this place was interesting because in the mix of old and abandonded buildings, people were living in more modern homes. everything said private property so we couldnt go exploring around the buildings.

late 1800's school house

crumbling brick building

1940/50's era truck?

school house

school house. it is very well preserved for being so old.

glory hole gold mine. a glory hole is where miners dig a HUGE hole (can be miles across) to unearth minerals. this was at the ridge of the hole, but we couldnt see into the hole well enough to take pics.

trail #20 ending and coming into central city

lots of abandonded mining buildings on the mountain sides

central city... quaint town

the court house and church behind

beginning of trail #19, heading into nevadaville

ruins in nevadaville

bald mountain. this town burned down 5 times in its history and was never fully rebuilt.

coming out of bald mountain

the camera doesnt do it justice, but colorado has some beautiful landscape

about half the trails were graded and maintained county roads, but once you got off the county roads, it got pretty rough.

bald mountain cemetary (and wifey in the pic)

it was weird to look at the dates on the tombstones. kinda makes you think how hard life was back then seeing that "old age" was in your 40's).

i bet this place is creepy at night

county road ended.... the pictures never really show how rough the roads are. most of the off-county road driving was under 10mph.

more with the scenery

its just fricken beautiful in colorado.

trail getting narrower.

for all the mountains that you drive through, you will suddenly come to a valley of grassland. it really is a sharp contrast from the roughedness of the mountains.

one of the many cemetaries that we passed.

these were near Boodle mill

Boodle mill

start of trail #16 and chase gultch reservoir.

heading out towards Apex.

the vertical imagery of the trees was cool

rougher than it looks. i couldnt go more than 5mph without the trail vibrating the shit out of me.... ohh, that reminds me. my wife said that 4x4'ing gives her gas she farted during half the trip

more with the scenery

valley bellow

OMG... this area scared the shit outta me. from this picture, the trail narrowed to about 3 feet wider than the truck. thats not so bad and the trail conditions were easy, but i turned a corner and up comes a Ford super duty F-250 raised 6 inches with 35/12.5 tires on it. holy shit, how do we pass? i had to ride up onto the side of the mountain in a very awkward off-camber situation for him to pass. he cleared my truck by about 2 inches. if i didnt have 4 wheel drive, i couldnt have driven up the side of the mountain. so we pass each other, then i get another 300 feet down the road and another Ford F-250 comes rolling up.... WTF!?!? i had to back up the trail to that one spot that had a tiny clearing that i could drive up. seriously, these large, full sized trucks are not ideal for these trails.

boulder creek.... waaaaaay up the mountain near Tolland

gratuitous shot of my truck

more gratuity

boulder creek

wife pondering about being funny....

she pretends that she is going to fall in the water, then, just after i snapped this photo, she almost took a header into the water... it was hillarious

silliness

its mostly stock, but i am impressed with its capabilities

many of you may scoff at this, but here is my first bit of trail damage. i had to turn around on a narrow road (went the wrong way) and i had to drive my back end up the side of the mountain and i scratched the bumper and bent the wiring harness.

housing near moffat tunnel

moffat tunnel (for trains).

more housing near the tunnel

moffat tunnel placard

this was the town of tolland... seriously... thats it. if you blink, you miss it.

rollinsville.. another small town

the busy hub of rollinsville

we had alot of fun today and it was great to see some of colorado.

if anyone wants to try out some 4 and 5 rated trails on the front range or in the central region, let me know. i would gladly go.

thanks for looking
Old 07-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
awesome pics.

CO definitely has some beautiful scenery, plus all those ghost towns in almost perfect condition are pretty sweet!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Son of Baconator
unentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW)
Name: Jacob
unentered's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to unentered Send a message via Skype™ to unentered
Nice pics! Looks like an awesome time! Sorry to hear about the "carnage" to your bumper and wiring harness, heh.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I have always wanted to check out CO. Love the American flags all over the place in that small town. Would be awesome to see that many in the cities.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
looks like an awesome time. CO is a place i have wanted to check out for a long time now.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LostRebel's Tacoma Gallery
Nice (off)road-trip pictures and captions! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and sharing. Though, it does make me jealous and envious, you sumbitch.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Legend of the UG
Kappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKappes03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 307th Expeditionary Sig BN
Name: Mike
Kappes03's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, I like goin through there, nice scenery.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful scenery. thanks for posting
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostRebel View Post
Nice (off)road-trip pictures and captions!
haha... ya... most of it was "on" road, but through about half of the trip, a passanger car could not have even attempted it. on those roads, i consider it off road even for as easy as it was
Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a great trip. Makes me want to take a road trip to CO.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
Awesoe pics! I hope to make a CO trip in the next few years. So you just used that guidebook for navigation for the most part? I have been wanting to order one of those books to start planning a trip.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I've done similar variations of that trip a few times when showing family around. One of the cooler things to experience is standing about 5 feet from the tracks as close to that East portal of Moffat Tunnel when a train is pushing the through. Moments before the engine breaks through the tunnel opening the wall of air it's pushing out hits you like nothing else. It will seriously knock you off your feet if you're not expecting it.

Great trip. Great pics.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics, looks alot like leadville, that pic of old International truck is a 70's series , my uncle used to live in Frisco, Co. elev. roughly 8000 ft, absolutely beautiful every pic was a post card,, thanks for sharing.....
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #16
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Been to CO. a few times. Super nice. I'd love to be able to retire there some year in the distant future. Great pictures. Those buildings tell many stories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Awesoe pics! I hope to make a CO trip in the next few years. So you just used that guidebook for navigation for the most part? I have been wanting to order one of those books to start planning a trip.

ya... i reviewed all the trails in the book and planned out a trip. many of the trails overlap so you can create a longer trip. i also looked on mapquest for a more magnified, closer view of the trails. also, my GPS had all the main trails in it.

the directrions in the books are very good. they use landmarks and trail posts to guide you. you have to pay attention because there are so many trails that cross over each other that its easy to take the wrong path (which we did once).

a "3" rated trail in that book is very, very easy for a stock 4x4 (a stock 2wd could make it too). on my next trip, i want to try a 4 rated trail.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
NicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud ofNicP has much to be proud of
Name: Nic
NicP's Tacoma Gallery
Great shots. "Trail damage" gives a great reason to do a "free/cheap MOD". The relocation of tow harness to the bumper next to the license plate. Makes the back look clean and organized. Have fun.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
Wandering But Not Lost
Rattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to beholdRattler is a splendid one to behold

Rattler's Tacoma Gallery
Our Upper Peninsula is like a lighter version of CO minus big mountains. Lots of old abandoned mines around.

Thanks for letting me know that info.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #20
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Letting the air out of your tires will keep the air in your wife.

Seriously though letting 10-15lbs of air out of your tires while on the bumpy stuff will make driving for miles much more enjoyable. Looks like you had a fun trip.