1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CO off road trip with my wife...... LOTS of pics

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by NetMonkey, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    hey all,

a few weekends ago, my wife and i went to the 4x4/jeep/off-road expo in denver and we stopped at an exhibitor selling "adler publishing" trail books. so we picked up the CO front range and central region trail books:
    http://www.adlerpublishing.com/products.aspx?catID=2

they are awesome books that fully describe the trail with the difficulty, distance, history, description, the exact directions to get through the trail, etc... here is a sample page:

[​IMG]

so, i planned a trip to take us near all many of the old mining towns that we could. here is a history of the area (great read): http://www.gilpintram.com/index.html

the mining towns/mines we visited:
    • Russell Gultch
    • Glory hole mine
    • Central city
    • Nevadaville/Bald mountain
    • Hamlin gultch
    • Boodle Mill
    • Apex
    • Tolland
    • Rollinsville
    • various graveyards
    i chose trail #20, #19, and #16 from the front range book. they are low rated trails (1 and 3 rating). i chose these because i am still a novice in off-roading and i wanted to make sure that we could get through with no problem and to test my skills. after running the trails, i could easily step up to a 4, if not a 5 rated trail. there were a couple of spots that having a 4x4 was helpful, but you could get through the trails with a 2wd. i used 4Lo sometimes just to keep my speed down because some of the sections of trails were at an 18% grade.

i also picked up the TOPO software from adler publishing so i could precisely map out the route and directions. which was very helpful because there are hundreds of miles of trails out there and it is easy to get lost. here is the start of the trail (in yellow) that i mapped out in the software.

[​IMG]

we picked today to go because it was a beautiful day in colorado... and because westminster was over 100 degrees today :tumbleweed: the mountains were only in the 80's

anyway.... here are the pics of the trip:

paved trail head in Idaho Springs.
    [​IMG]

going up the "oh my god trail" i guess they call it that because of the steep drops, but the trail is wide enough for 2 vehicles.. so i dunno
    [​IMG]

this shack was for sale.. ohh, the possibilities :)
    [​IMG]

old mining structure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

evidence of mining
    [​IMG]

mining equipment
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

small mining "town"
    [​IMG]

Russell gultch. this place was interesting because in the mix of old and abandonded buildings, people were living in more modern homes. everything said private property so we couldnt go exploring around the buildings.
    [​IMG]

late 1800's school house
    [​IMG]

crumbling brick building
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1940/50's era truck?
    [​IMG]

school house
    [​IMG]

school house. it is very well preserved for being so old.
    [​IMG]

glory hole gold mine. a glory hole is where miners dig a HUGE hole (can be miles across) to unearth minerals. this was at the ridge of the hole, but we couldnt see into the hole well enough to take pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trail #20 ending and coming into central city
    [​IMG]

lots of abandonded mining buildings on the mountain sides
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

central city... quaint town
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the court house and church behind
    [​IMG]

beginning of trail #19, heading into nevadaville
    [​IMG]

ruins in nevadaville
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bald mountain. this town burned down 5 times in its history and was never fully rebuilt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coming out of bald mountain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the camera doesnt do it justice, but colorado has some beautiful landscape
    [​IMG]

about half the trails were graded and maintained county roads, but once you got off the county roads, it got pretty rough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bald mountain cemetary (and wifey in the pic)
    [​IMG]

it was weird to look at the dates on the tombstones. kinda makes you think how hard life was back then seeing that "old age" was in your 40's).
    [​IMG]

i bet this place is creepy at night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

county road ended.... the pictures never really show how rough the roads are. most of the off-county road driving was under 10mph.
    [​IMG]

more with the scenery
    [​IMG]

its just fricken beautiful in colorado.
    [​IMG]

trail getting narrower.
    [​IMG]

for all the mountains that you drive through, you will suddenly come to a valley of grassland. it really is a sharp contrast from the roughedness of the mountains.
    [​IMG]

one of the many cemetaries that we passed.
    [​IMG]

these were near Boodle mill
    [​IMG]

Boodle mill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

start of trail #16 and chase gultch reservoir.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heading out towards Apex.
    [​IMG]

the vertical imagery of the trees was cool
    [​IMG]

rougher than it looks. i couldnt go more than 5mph without the trail vibrating the shit out of me.... ohh, that reminds me. my wife said that 4x4'ing gives her gas :) she farted during half the trip :)
    [​IMG]

more with the scenery
    [​IMG]

valley bellow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMG... this area scared the shit outta me. from this picture, the trail narrowed to about 3 feet wider than the truck. thats not so bad and the trail conditions were easy, but i turned a corner and up comes a Ford super duty F-250 raised 6 inches with 35/12.5 tires on it. holy shit, how do we pass? i had to ride up onto the side of the mountain in a very awkward off-camber situation for him to pass. he cleared my truck by about 2 inches. if i didnt have 4 wheel drive, i couldnt have driven up the side of the mountain. so we pass each other, then i get another 300 feet down the road and another Ford F-250 comes rolling up.... WTF!?!? i had to back up the trail to that one spot that had a tiny clearing that i could drive up. seriously, these large, full sized trucks are not ideal for these trails.
    [​IMG]

boulder creek.... waaaaaay up the mountain near Tolland
    [​IMG]

gratuitous shot of my truck
    [​IMG]

more gratuity
    [​IMG]

boulder creek
    [​IMG]

wife pondering about being funny....
    [​IMG]

she pretends that she is going to fall in the water, then, just after i snapped this photo, she almost took a header into the water... it was hillarious :)
    [​IMG]

silliness :)
    [​IMG]

its mostly stock, but i am impressed with its capabilities
    [​IMG]

many of you may scoff at this, but here is my first bit of trail damage. i had to turn around on a narrow road (went the wrong way) and i had to drive my back end up the side of the mountain and i scratched the bumper and bent the wiring harness.
    [​IMG]

housing near moffat tunnel
    [​IMG]

moffat tunnel (for trains).
    [​IMG]

more housing near the tunnel
    [​IMG]

moffat tunnel placard
    [​IMG]

this was the town of tolland... seriously... thats it. if you blink, you miss it.
    [​IMG]

rollinsville.. another small town
    [​IMG]

the busy hub of rollinsville :)
    [​IMG]

we had alot of fun today and it was great to see some of colorado.

if anyone wants to try out some 4 and 5 rated trails on the front range or in the central region, let me know. i would gladly go.

thanks for looking :)

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    awesome pics.

CO definitely has some beautiful scenery, plus all those ghost towns in almost perfect condition are pretty sweet!

3. Jul 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    unentered

unentered Son of Baconator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB4x4MGM
    OME 886/Dakar, ARE CX, AMS Filter, WT Mats, 255/85/16s
    Nice pics! Looks like an awesome time! Sorry to hear about the "carnage" to your bumper and wiring harness, heh.

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    That looks very cool....I would love to get out to Colorado....

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Yeah I have always wanted to check out CO. Love the American flags all over the place in that small town. Would be awesome to see that many in the cities.

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    looks like an awesome time. CO is a place i have wanted to check out for a long time now.

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    Nice (off)road-trip pictures and captions! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and sharing. Though, it does make me jealous and envious, you sumbitch. ;)

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    Kappes03

Kappes03 Legend of the UG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Hilux Surf
    Nice, I like goin through there, nice scenery.

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Beautiful scenery. thanks for posting

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    haha... ya... most of it was "on" road, but through about half of the trip, a passanger car could not have even attempted it. on those roads, i consider it off road :) even for as easy as it was :)

11. Jul 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Looks like a great trip. Makes me want to take a road trip to CO.

12. Jul 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    Awesoe pics! I hope to make a CO trip in the next few years. So you just used that guidebook for navigation for the most part? I have been wanting to order one of those books to start planning a trip.

13. Jul 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I've done similar variations of that trip a few times when showing family around. One of the cooler things to experience is standing about 5 feet from the tracks as close to that East portal of Moffat Tunnel when a train is pushing the through. Moments before the engine breaks through the tunnel opening the wall of air it's pushing out hits you like nothing else. It will seriously knock you off your feet if you're not expecting it.

Great trip. Great pics.

14. Jul 21, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Great pics, looks alot like leadville, that pic of old International truck is a 70's series , my uncle used to live in Frisco, Co. elev. roughly 8000 ft, absolutely beautiful every pic was a post card,, thanks for sharing.....:D

15. Jul 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Great shots. What a cool little town. If I were you I would ziptie the 7pin to the top of the receiver to prevent future carnage.

16. Jul 21, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Been to CO. a few times. Super nice. I'd love to be able to retire there some year in the distant future. Great pictures. Those buildings tell many stories. Thanks for sharing.

17. Jul 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:

ya... i reviewed all the trails in the book and planned out a trip. many of the trails overlap so you can create a longer trip. i also looked on mapquest for a more magnified, closer view of the trails. also, my GPS had all the main trails in it.

the directrions in the books are very good. they use landmarks and trail posts to guide you. you have to pay attention because there are so many trails that cross over each other that its easy to take the wrong path (which we did once).

a "3" rated trail in that book is very, very easy for a stock 4x4 (a stock 2wd could make it too). on my next trip, i want to try a 4 rated trail.

18. Jul 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    NicP

NicP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB
    3" Icon CO Icon Rez and AAL ProComp 7089 BFG 285 AT KO
    Great shots. "Trail damage" gives a great reason to do a "free/cheap MOD". The relocation of tow harness to the bumper next to the license plate. Makes the back look clean and organized. Have fun.

19. Jul 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    Our Upper Peninsula is like a lighter version of CO minus big mountains. Lots of old abandoned mines around.

Thanks for letting me know that info.

20. Jul 21, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Letting the air out of your tires will keep the air in your wife. :D

Seriously though letting 10-15lbs of air out of your tires while on the bumpy stuff will make driving for miles much more enjoyable. Looks like you had a fun trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top