Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

PreRunner Off-Roading

Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
GhostDoc has a spectacular aura aboutGhostDoc has a spectacular aura aboutGhostDoc has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Combat Corpsman, 2nd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, Weapons Company
Name: John
GhostDoc's Tacoma Gallery
PreRunner Off-Roading

I just bought an 08 PreRunner and I have taken it on a few trail runs, but looking for something a bit longer. Does anyone know of a more serious trail run that a 2x4 can still handle? I live in Gilbert, AZ.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
join us down the arizona section. they are talking about trails soon
Old 08-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Haley is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Haley's Tacoma Gallery
AZ trails

Let me know if find anything. I live in Gilbert as well and am looking for trails I can get my lifted PreRunner on without spending a day digging it out!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD Pre runner and i take that thing almost everywhere that 4x4 go you just have to really look for your lines... I mean i have done sandy hills rocks, mud you name it as long as you have a locker you should be good. I get crazy looks from people when i tell them that my truck is 4x2 lol. Just bring someone with you that has 4x4 to pull you out the first few times you will have a blast once you see what your truck can do
Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptowntaco View Post
I have a TRD Pre runner and i take that thing almost everywhere that 4x4 go you just have to really look for your lines... I mean i have done sandy hills rocks, mud you name it as long as you have a locker you should be good. I get crazy looks from people when i tell them that my truck is 4x2 lol. Just bring someone with you that has 4x4 to pull you out the first few times you will have a blast once you see what your truck can do
sweet man. I get weird expressions from people when I tell them i'm 4x2 as well. Just wish my pre had a locker at least.........................
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Air pressure... just lower the tire's air pressure, and you are gold! The rear locker will help, too!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDoc View Post
I just bought an 08 PreRunner and I have taken it on a few trail runs, but looking for something a bit longer. Does anyone know of a more serious trail run that a 2x4 can still handle? I live in Gilbert, AZ.
Bulldog Canyon! Preferably going from AJ to the river. Iv done it the other way but way more challenging the from AJ to the river. I also do not have a locker. I had to use the skinny pedal and a lot of backing up and smashing the pedal
Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Air pressure... just lower the tire's air pressure, and you are gold! The rear locker will help, too!
The pressure on all 4 tire i'm guessing right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Bulldog Canyon! Preferably going from AJ to the river. Iv done it the other way but way more challenging the from AJ to the river. I also do not have a locker. I had to use the skinny pedal and a lot of backing up and smashing the pedal
It seems terrible to smash around like that...but hey, their 'yota's. they can withstand ~anything
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
The pressure on all 4 tire i'm guessing right?

It seems terrible to smash around like that...but hey, their 'yota's. they can withstand ~anything
No need to air down in the front. actually the more the better.
If your aired down in the front with or without a locker in the rear, your back tires are trying to push the tire up and over as opposed to rolling over.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
moderately modded

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
hey, your right. I guess my question wasn't stupid after all.
What about in mud or sand?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Yea check out the AZ section, we have a massive meet going up to Bradshaw Mt on Saturday Sept 18th, you're more than welcome to come along!

For local stuff, if you're looking for shear length the 4 Peaks run (El Oso Road) is a nice scenic easy trail you can do yourself without having to worry about getting stuck (pending good weather of course). Lower than that is the Rolling Hills OHV area where if you have a locker you can play around the Butcher Jones area (north on sagurao lake) and have a lot of fun on the hills. Only go with another 4x4 though as you can and will probably have issues on some hills.

Seriously though watch the AZ section for meets, we do pre-runner friendly meets a fair amount.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Yea check out the AZ section, we have a massive meet going up to Bradshaw Mt on Saturday Sept 18th, you're more than welcome to come along!

For local stuff, if you're looking for shear length the 4 Peaks run (El Oso Road) is a nice scenic easy trail you can do yourself without having to worry about getting stuck (pending good weather of course). Lower than that is the Rolling Hills OHV area where if you have a locker you can play around the Butcher Jones area (north on sagurao lake) and have a lot of fun on the hills. Only go with another 4x4 though as you can and will probably have issues on some hills.

Seriously though watch the AZ section for meets, we do pre-runner friendly meets a fair amount.
Hey you have any more info on the 4 Peaks Trail? I've got a 2wd living in Tempe and that sounds like something I am interested in. I am on the AZ thread too thinking about the 9/18 run
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDoc View Post
Ive taken some fire roads from Strawberry down to the verde river that were pretty fun. Not going to encounter much terrain but you can keep high speeds and still have some fun.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are some summer/dry pics of 4 peaks:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kyouto42/ElOsoRd#

and some winter pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kyouto42/4PeaksMar082010#

The last 'pics' are actually some short vids.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #15
Quote:
Here are some summer/dry pics of 4 peaks:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kyouto42/ElOsoRd#

and some winter pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kyouto42/4PeaksMar082010#

The last 'pics' are actually some short vids.
That looks pretty cool. I like the winter shots, lookin good!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptowntaco View Post
X2
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
Iron Beard

If interested, here is the map of that road:
http://goo.gl/maps/tkoD
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Quote:
If interested, here is the map of that road:
http://goo.gl/maps/tkoD
Thanks man, I see that in my near future, maybe this weekends future lol

Saved the map to My Maps on google, which will also sync up nicely with my android phone :-)
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
Iron Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorgan View Post
Thanks man, I see that in my near future, maybe this weekends future lol

Saved the map to My Maps on google, which will also sync up nicely with my android phone :-)
Just keep in mind you will lose data signal out there. You can cache maps with Maverick though...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
ecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eddy
ecr6cyl10's Tacoma Gallery
That 4peaks run is really cool with a prerunner. PM with any other info you want to know or maybe we could meet up and run 4peaks.