Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #41
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
yea i havent followed his thread too much last thing i read from him was some wheelin pics a while back on some crazy ass trail with a new gf ... ive gone down to phoenix twice since being on that board but havent looked him up to see it in person ... still hoping to eventually move down there
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #42
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery

Harbor Freight for $49 (was a monthly special)... Pumps 3 times faster than the cigarette lighter ones do (6 psi per minute vs. 2 psi per minute).

Connects right to battery, has worked for me for 4-5 years now.

Only issue is the cable gets pretty hot and the fuse melts after a while... sometimes need to wiggle the inline huse holder or replace with a new fuse.

Sure beats paying $300 for a Quick Air, as it does the job.

Costco also sells one that look about the same for about $70 last time I looked.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #43
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
yea i havent followed his thread too much last thing i read from him was some wheelin pics a while back on some crazy ass trail with a new gf ... ive gone down to phoenix twice since being on that board but havent looked him up to see it in person ... still hoping to eventually move down there
Might have been his trail run with either the Nissan guys or the Jeep crew...the Nissan one took a bigger toll on his truck though and left some "character marks", but that was a few months ago. The Jeep one, IIRC, was back road to Crown King, in the rain, so he was fighting traction. That one I want to say, was about a month ago. Not too sure though...any other runs, of pics that he posted were pics I shot. Those were the only two trail runs that I didn't go on. He's a member on TW, he just never logs on, or only does when there are pics on here of his truck from a recent trail run lol All the work done so far has been solid.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #44
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post

Harbor Freight for $49 (was a monthly special)... Pumps 3 times faster than the cigarette lighter ones do (6 psi per minute vs. 2 psi per minute).

Only issue is the cable gets pretty hot and the fuse melts after a while... sometimes need to wiggle the inline huse holder or replace with a new fuse.

Costco also sells one that look about the same for about $70 last time I looked.
That's a better price.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #45
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know what you pay!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #46
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's the one I have! It took a shit on me though
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #47

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Care to say what happened? Mine has fuse holder issues... gets so hot melts rubber fuse holder and fuses... I upped it to 30 amp from the 25 that blew. But, it still works after 4 years.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Funny how a few pounds of air can make a huge difference.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #49

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It makes all the difference in the world... and should be standard info for anyone who drives into sand. Getting stuck in sand never needs a pull... just clear away any buildup blocking forward movement and deflate the tires!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #50
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Hey David have you ever thought of takin out the wiring goin to the battery for that compressor and replacing it with some thicker stuff? maybe a larger diameter of wire would help dissapate the load going through it and it wouldnt heat up as bad. just a thought. Im gonna have to run down to the local harbor freight store and see about one of those compressors for my truck. thanks for the good info, not just on deflation but also the compressor.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #51

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my08yoyo View Post
Hey David have you ever thought of takin out the wiring goin to the battery for that compressor and replacing it with some thicker stuff? maybe a larger diameter of wire would help dissapate the load going through it and it wouldnt heat up as bad. just a thought. Im gonna have to run down to the local harbor freight store and see about one of those compressors for my truck. thanks for the good info, not just on deflation but also the compressor.
Perhaps... They are like jumper cables, but not as thick. I did change the 25 amp fuse with a 30 amp... and have a box of them. They don't blow, but the plastic just melts and disfigures them. Chinese made stuff, perhaps.. but I have used it dozens of times since 2007, and it still works, even if I do need to wiggle the fuse holder a bit!
They were on sale for $49, when I got it.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #52
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Well i know you said that they work just fine but i was just thinkin if they heat up that much sooner or later they are gonna burn a bare spot in them and then it becomes a safety issue for you and your truck. just thought it might be work lookin in to cuz a length of like aut gauge wire wouldnt cost much.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #53

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I only run the thing for ~ 3 minutes per tire... so in 12-15 minutes it doesn't get that hot... Just the fuse holder and fuse melt some.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #54
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Art totally built that off road motorhome and converted it to 4WD with front and rear ARB lockers, all himself... He and his motorhome are amazing! Art joined TW following our Mision Santa Maria run...

Here he is climbing the Widowmaker, 5 weeks before the beach trip:

This thing is AWESOME!!!!! A lot of taco's wouldn't make it up that, and this guys doing it in an rv!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #55

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It's all about traction where you need it.

The 4Runner with open differentails made it, just had to move some rocks... But, this road is one that I do think should be for those with low range and traction control or a rear locker. Art's van is amazing, however!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #56
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
This thing is AWESOME!!!!! A lot of taco's wouldn't make it up that, and this guys doing it in an rv!
looks like it was pulling someone else up after it to
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #57

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
looks like it was pulling someone else up after it to
Good eyes... He pulled a 2003 Tacoma/ camper up that grade and the other 5 uphill miles... The whole story was posted here on TW last June. You can catch up also on the web page I made of that trip (link in my signature, as well): Epic 2010 Baja 4WD trip to Mision Santa Maria: http://vivabaja.com/msm2010/
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #58
BigDan is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
BigDan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to BigDan
Quote:
Oh, south of Coco's my right/ rear BFG Rugged Trail, FAILED!
A sharp rock (?) put a hole in it... The truck/ tires has about 13,000 miles on it... so pretty new still.

I was able to plug the hole with two plugs, refill and drive the remaining 110 miles to El Rosario where I had a patch put in it. I guess they do deserve the name 'Rugged Fails'? LOL
I wonder how air pressure might effect puncture resistance?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #59
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to chime in on the air compressor thing because right now I don't have a rechargeable one. I have a 1(?) gallon one thats about as big as a shoe box with a 25' retractable hose I picked up from walmart which I can plug into the bed outlet. Think it was around 50$.. I just looked quick and you can get a rechargeable one for 30$ that runs off your battery or 110v.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #60

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I wonder how air pressure might effect puncture resistance?

With some air removed, the tire has more 'give' and might be less prone to sharp rock damage. Your ride is a bit smoother, too.

With too much air removed, the sidewalls become exposed and have a greater chance to be punctured... and you can't repair a sidewall hole.

I usually drive graded roads at full pressure, but wouldn't have a problem if I dropped to 25 psi... I think 20 psi is too low, but that is where a lot of Baja guys go on the washboard roads.

Products Discussed in this Thread