Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #101
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
A sharp rock (?) put a hole in it... The truck/ tires has about 13,000 miles on it... so pretty new still.
Gravel put several holes in my Rugged Fails thanks to small rocks... I have since moved on to Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (w/Kevlar baloney), and after about 1,000 miles, I have already managed to penetrate them with a small piece of gravel.
The puncture was in the tread, not the sidewall, but regardless, tires, even the "rugged" ones, aren't all that strong.

Quote:
Before you "always air down": Have you tried climbing using the lockers, or do you also have to air down even with lockers?
Thank you.
I recently tried a steep, prolonged, hill climb, where the surface was entirely exposed rock. I made several attempts, and barely made it 20 of the ~100 feet up the climb. After airing down from 40 to 18psi, it climbed right up with zero difficulty.

PS: Tried with and without locker/a-trac, in varying combinations, didn't change a thing until I lowered the tire pressure.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #102
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
Gravel put several holes in my Rugged Fails thanks to small rocks... I have since moved on to Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (w/Kevlar baloney), and after about 1,000 miles, I have already managed to penetrate them with a small piece of gravel.
The puncture was in the tread, not the sidewall, but regardless, tires, even the "rugged" ones, aren't all that strong.

I recently tried a steep, prolonged, hill climb, where the surface was entirely exposed rock. I made several attempts, and barely made it 20 of the ~100 feet up the climb. After airing down from 40 to 18psi, it climbed right up with zero difficulty.

PS: Tried with and without locker/a-trac, in varying combinations, didn't change a thing until I lowered the tire pressure.
Thanks for that... Air pressure is a fantastic way to increase traction!
When you retire the Goodyears, give little 'ol Hankook a try!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #103
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
I used to air down until I got nitrogen, haven't gone off-roading in a looonnnngg time.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #104
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My tires contain mostly nitrogen, too (78%)!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #105
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Airing down definitely helps. Me and another guy took my truck on the beach with the tires at ~7.5 lbs up front and ~5 lbs in the back. It was great. cruised the beach for probably a couple miles. Just have to be careful and not do anything stupid * especially with the tires that low, don't want to pop a bead * Didn't need 4wd *didn't have it even if we did *.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #106

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Different kinds of sand, weather (temp., humidity), and tire type all will determin if or how much needs to be deflated or if 4WD is needed is comfortably drive in sand.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #107
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
I used to air down until I got nitrogen, haven't gone off-roading in a looonnnngg time.
you realize that their is already nitrogen in the air we breath. unless you r race car having nitrogen in doesnt do anything.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #108

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
you realize that their is already nitrogen in the air we breath. unless you r race car having nitrogen in doesnt do anything.
78% of our air is Nitrogen, in fact!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #109
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
78% of our air is Nitrogen, in fact!
yep so getting your air filled up by costco or other tire places doesnt help. So you shouldnt be affraid to air down.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #110
I miss my Taco
Zombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Zombie's Tacoma Gallery
I've been wanting to go down there for a while. Specially to Coco's Corner, ever since I saw "Dust To Glory."
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #111

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
I've been wanting to go down there for a while. Specially to Coco's Corner, ever since I saw "Dust To Glory."
In 2001:

That's Coco next to my daughter in the middle.

In 2005:

Coco and my new girlfriend (who married me 3 1/2 years later) as she signs his guestbook.

2006:

Josh (Stewarts Raceworks Luxury PreRunner fame) and Elizabeth with Coco.

I get in the photo on the far right.

Coco shows off his guestbooks where I have entered my Got Baja sticker or cards in the past.

Sometime after this 2006 trip, Coco's other leg was removed and many Off Roaders have helped and besides his pickup with sticks so he can drive without legs, he has a quad to get around on his Corner.

In 2010, we stopped by and Coco was in Ensenada getting medical treatment:

Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #112
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I live in AZ and am new to trucks and being off road. My wife got my 2wd stuck in the sand when we went shooting. You would figure we know how to drive in sand living here our entire lives, nope!

I remember reading this thread and thanks to the tips, I was able to drive right out with lowering the PSI in my tires. (had to shovel a little in front of the rear tires but still, got myself out!).

So thanks.. I'd of been stuck there for a long time or till someone found us if it wasn't for your post.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #113

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Great to hear... being stuck in the desert is not much fun!

In Baja, many of the fisherman have only 2WD trucks, and drive down the beach to get their nets... with bald, deflated tires... and when they park, they point their truck down the slope so getting momentum to drive on, isn't a problem.

Thanks for the report!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #114
If I can't get you out, neither can anyone else.
Darth Tater will become famous soon enoughDarth Tater will become famous soon enough
Air Force: MSgt, 22 yrs,
Name: Marlin
Darth Tater's Tacoma Gallery
Smile That isn't why people use nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
yep so getting your air filled up by costco or other tire places doesnt help. So you shouldnt be affraid to air down.
The only reason you would use nitrogen is because it doesn't have any moisture in it. When you fill a tire with a compressor, it pumps any humidity in the air into the tire. Not a big issue in Vegas, where I live, or anywhere in the southwest, but I remember pulling tires off rims in Georgia and South Carolina that had 2 or 3 cups, not ounces of water in them. This water is pumped in through the valve stem when you fill the tires, and then becomes an issue later because it will screw up a TPMS sensor, or possibly freeze inside the tire. Aircraft use nitrogen because it doesn't have any moisture in it. An aircraft tire goes from stationary to 160MPH in a second or two, gets REALLY REALLY hot, and if there is water in the tire, the water turns to steam, possibly blowing the tire. God help you if you are standing in the wrong place when it blows. Not a pretty sight. But it isn't an issue on our trucks. I was told that it cut down on the dry rot on the tire, because it is supposed to be more "pure" than just using air, but I think this was BS from a tire tech who wanted to charge my $60 to use it in my tires.
Just my $0.02
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #115

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Good explanation Darth!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #116

David K's Tacoma Gallery
LOVE THAT SAND BEACH DRIVING!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #117
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Art totally built that off road motorhome and converted it to 4WD with front and rear ARB lockers, all himself... He and his motorhome are amazing! Art joined TW following our Mision Santa Maria run...

Here he is climbing the Widowmaker, 5 weeks before the beach trip:

Man got the skills to pay the bills
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #118

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Indeed he does... He sold this one and built an even BIGGER 4WD motorhome... See it in my July, 2011 Baja trip report.

The tow strap you see behind the one above was used to pull a TACOMA up the Widowmaker (it had blown the rear differential).
Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #119
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh, south of Coco's my right/ rear BFG Rugged Trail, FAILED!
A sharp rock (?) put a hole in it... The truck/ tires has about 13,000 miles on it... so pretty new still.

I was able to plug the hole with two plugs, refill and drive the remaining 110 miles to El Rosario where I had a patch put in it. I guess they do deserve the name 'Rugged Fails'? LOL
I dont like my tiers ethier there to soft and dont last long. I had some dunlops which are usually soft tits but they lasted longer than these rugged fails! Going bfg all terri. For my next set of tires. I have asked allot of people, they love em.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #120

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I went with HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM (265/75-16) at 20,000 miles on the Rugged Trails.
They have been a great tire, specially in snow, sand, and quiet on the highway... much cheaper than BFG All Terrain TAs, too. I have had them for almost 25,000 miles now... and they appear to be just half worn... so I might get 50,000 miles out of them? That would be more miles than any tire I have had on my three Tacomas (Cooper STT & ATR, Toyo Open Country AT, BFG Rugged Trail TA, Futura Dakota)

Products Discussed in this Thread