Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #121
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Ever try or think about the General Grabber red letters?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #122
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Ever try or think about the General Grabber red letters?
Oh yes... I think they are way cool... I wanted to get them... but when I was ready to buy... even though their brochure said they had them in a 265/75-16, they still did NOT!

Not sure if they have yet ever made them in a size that will fit on a non-lifted Tacoma, but I wasn't going to pay to lift my truck and pay the high tire price.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #123
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Airing down ftw! Tire pressure makes a massive difference.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #124
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really get how some folk respond as if this were something new

The US Army conducted multitudes of tests with tire air inflation pressures
on off road vehicles back in the 40's during the war.

The tests and studies were very in depth and conclusive.

I guess history means nothing to the modern world
Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #125
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #126
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Oh yes... I think they are way cool... I wanted to get them... but when I was ready to buy... even though their brochure said they had them in a 265/75-16, they still did NOT!

Not sure if they have yet ever made them in a size that will fit on a non-lifted Tacoma, but I wasn't going to pay to lift my truck and pay the high tire price.
Oh they have them. I know several people in the Ranger community that run them. Not on the cheap side though

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT2...GEN04568320000
Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #127
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I don't really get how some folk respond as if this were something new

The US Army conducted multitudes of tests with tire air inflation pressures
on off road vehicles back in the 40's during the war.

The tests and studies were very in depth and conclusive.

I guess history means nothing to the modern world
What are you getting at??? Airing down may be new for some people. I haven't always done it. Only the last 2 years have I began airing down. Now I basically refuse to offroad without airing down. I know a LT of people who think its too much of a pain in the ass to do it. Until they try it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #128
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Everyone that I been on the trail with who has LT all air down, I guess its just something that is universal being in SoCal ..who knows
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #129
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Oh they have them. I know several people in the Ranger community that run them. Not on the cheap side though

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT2...GEN04568320000
Well, finally...! Maybe if I win the lotto, I would love to try them. In the meantime, my HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM tires are fine (at $140 each).
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #130

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Will be shopping for tires by the summer... I really liked the Hankook Dynapros, but they are getting thin by 30,000 miles... Thinking of trying them in an LT version vs the P Rated I know have? Also thinking of Falken Wild Peak to try... The new Toyo Open Country AT II also look and sound good... Obviously, the cost is an issue...

Maybe??? >>>

Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #131
Power Top

The generals are great and i like em, but keep this in mind. They are a very heavy tire with a thicker then usual sidewall. My gas milage decreased considerably and I have to air them down to 10 psi just have proper sidewall flex. And that's with having full armor, whench, tons of tools, equipment, and spare parts.

A tire you should consider for an A/T tire is the Nitro terra grappler. Two of my buddies have ran them in the past with great results in all conditions
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #132
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will be shopping for tires by the summer... I really liked the Hankook Dynapros, but they are getting thin by 30,000 miles...
Ghaaah! I did not want to hear this. I'm about to put the Dynapro ATms on my truck. But I need them to last for close to 60,000 miles. I do over 35,000 miles a year and I can't afford to drop $700-$800 on tires every year...
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #133
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
I think i am am gonna go back to BFG Km2's. The last set of tires was the Toyo Open Country M/T. Great tire until they get about 1/2 worn. They are louder than hell and do not want to balance great. They also have severe chunking and cracking on them. Great street tire (new) but crummy off road.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #134
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will be shopping for tires by the summer... I really liked the Hankook Dynapros, but they are getting thin by 30,000 miles... Thinking of trying them in an LT version vs the P Rated I know have? Also thinking of Falken Wild Peak to try... The new Toyo Open Country AT II also look and sound good... Obviously, the cost is an issue...
DuraTrac? $60 rebate for the next two months.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #135

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input MonkeyProof and others! I think I won't go with the Grabbers, as looking cool isn't good enough for me.

I love the Hankook Dynapros, but (like most tires on a Tacoma) I just don't get a lot of miles out of them (28,000 now)...I don't like running them without some meat on them, and they are still okay... maybe get 35,000? They are the cheaper P rated (as are the Rugged Trails that come with our truck)... maybe the LT style will give you more miles?

On my past two, 4 door Tacomas, I have had got 35,000 miles out of Toyo Open Country ATs and the same with Cooper Discoverer ATRs... only 20,000 out of the stock BFG Rugged Trails (Fails) when they just keep getting flats... The most mileage was 45,000 out of Cooper STTs (noisy grave diggers)... expensive, good looking, but never again!

The Falkens or New Toyo Open Country AT II or Hankooks again are where my head is at. My four wheeling is mostly sand, but I do rock and steep climbs, some mud and snow too... so an All Terrain tire that is quiet at highway speed is where I am looking. Price will be another issue... DuraTracs? hmmmm... ???
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #136
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Before buying, check the spec sheets on TireRack and make sure you're getting the exact tire you want. Iirc, some tires are offered in identical sizes, but in both Passenger and Light Truck versions, with the LT tires having heavier construction and more tread depth. Of course, the LT version also costs more.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #137

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Before buying, check the spec sheets on TireRack and make sure you're getting the exact tire you want. Iirc, some tires are offered in identical sizes, but in both Passenger and Light Truck versions, with the LT tires having heavier construction and more tread depth. Of course, the LT version also costs more.
Yes indeed... the tires I mentioned above, I have run on my '05 and '10 Tacomas. My '01 had BFGs (Rugged Trails) before I tried the Pep Boys Dakota AT tires (only $85 then)... they were fine to about 25,000 miles when the tread was too thin. However, they were a 50,000 mile tire, so I kept getting new ones for almost half price ($50).

Now, I do run the tires at the recommended pressure or higher, based on the chalk test... so, I am not sure how others get more miles on the same tires, unless they run until they are bald or maybe highways in other states are not as hard on tire wear?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #138
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of people get significantly better mileage out of those tires than you are .. any clue as to why?

I've got 25k 'ish on my Dynapros and they still look new to me. Obviously some wear but I don't see any issues getting 45-50. I do plenty of "mild" off-roading. Snow, lots of gravel, and lots of highway.

A buddy of mine only runs the Toyo AT and get 45-50 every set. They're not bald when he gets rid of them.

Could the sand eat these up that much faster?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #139

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Lots of people get significantly better mileage out of those tires than you are .. any clue as to why?

I've got 25k 'ish on my Dynapros and they still look new to me. Obviously some wear but I don't see any issues getting 45-50. I do plenty of "mild" off-roading. Snow, lots of gravel, and lots of highway.

A buddy of mine only runs the Toyo AT and get 45-50 every set. They're not bald when he gets rid of them.

Could the sand eat these up that much faster?
Well, as I said... there is still tread on mine... I just like not getting flats, and once there is less than 1/4" of tread depth, I want new tires... I am at 1/4" now at 28,000 miles... I have been running them at 35 psi (tire is a 44 psi max rating) for most of their life... I started at 40 psi, but dropped it when the chalk test showed a slightly greater wear in the middle.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #140
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, as I said... there is still tread on mine... I just like not getting flats, and once there is less than 1/4" of tread depth, I want new tires... I am at 1/4" now at 28,000 miles... I have been running them at 35 psi (tire is a 44 psi max rating) for most of their life... I started at 40 psi, but dropped it when the chalk test showed a slightly greater wear in the middle.
I understood you still have tread left. My statement was based on people that also still have tread left when they get new tires. Using some simple math your tread would be bald at 37k. Well short of others.

I've got 25ish on mine and they are nowhere near half gone, I still have 70% tread left. The Toyo's I've seen have 1/4" left around 40-45.

I was just wondering what's up with the bad wear your seeing.

Products Discussed in this Thread