Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #141
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I understood you still have tread left. My statement was based on people that also still have tread left when they get new tires. Using some simple math your tread would be bald at 37k. Well short of others.

I've got 25ish on mine and they are nowhere near half gone, I still have 70% tread left. The Toyo's I've seen have 1/4" left around 40-45.

I was just wondering what's up with the bad wear your seeing.
Its normal for the hankooks, I went through 3 sets of the M/T's averaging 15-18k a year before the tread became less then 1/4% from new. Great tires as far as all around performance goes but It became expensive buying a set of tires every year.

I am also a service tech at a ford dealership, many of the models come from the factory with hankooks. We are always replacing the hankooks faster from normal wear when compared to the other brands like Continental, Perille, and GoodYear that ford also uses.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #142
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
What do you think of LTs vs. P rated for mileage on Dynapro ATM Hankooks?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #143
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I understood you still have tread left. My statement was based on people that also still have tread left when they get new tires. Using some simple math your tread would be bald at 37k. Well short of others.

I've got 25ish on mine and they are nowhere near half gone, I still have 70% tread left. The Toyo's I've seen have 1/4" left around 40-45.

I was just wondering what's up with the bad wear your seeing.
They 'looked new' until just recently. After 25k miles they seemed to wear faster. I checkes the pressure on all 4... holding at 34 in front and 34.5 in back. I think these have been the most impressive tire except for wear.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #144
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I don't think there would be a difference between the two as far as tread life, I think the difference would be in the sidewall thickness only.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #145
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
I don't think there would be a difference between the two as far as tread life, I think the difference would be in the sidewall thickness only.
Check the tread depth, too.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #146

David K's Tacoma Gallery
So, a more expensive LT tire will not last longer than a P tire? An LT is only for heavy load carrying? Really?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #147
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
So, a more expensive LT tire will not last longer than a P tire? An LT is only for heavy load carrying? Really?
I don't think that's the case, which is why I suggested checking tread depth. A lot of offroad tires don't have UTQG tread wear ratings, so you have to look at the actual tread depth measurements. Different tires with different tread patterns and compounds will still wear differently, but I think you're safe in assuming that the same tire with deeper tread will wear longer.

Take a look at the BFG Rugged Trail Specs tab and you can see a lot of variations between the sizes.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #148
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They 'looked new' until just recently. After 25k miles they seemed to wear faster. I checkes the pressure on all 4... holding at 34 in front and 34.5 in back. I think these have been the most impressive tire except for wear.
I might find myself in the same boat then. I'm right about that 25k mark and I was pretty amazed the other day when I did my first major hand wash and polish after winter and the tires still looked almost new.

I also run mine at 34-35.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #149

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I might find myself in the same boat then. I'm right about that 25k mark and I was pretty amazed the other day when I did my first major hand wash and polish after winter and the tires still looked almost new.

I also run mine at 34-35.
I am at 28,000 miles and the tires are still safe, but the min. depth of the tread is at 1/4".

Nice photo on the beach... where is that?

Here is mine (with BFGs, in 2010)...

On Shell Island, 20 miles south of San Felipe, Baja CA Mexico.

Back, but with Hankook's, in 2011:

Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #150

David, iirc, didn't you dump the OEM tires after punctures? That's another reason to pick an LT over a P tire. I hate spending money to replace my Rugged Trails so early, but I don't want to learn how poorly they hold up to talus.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #151

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
David, iirc, didn't you dump the OEM tires after punctures? That's another reason to pick an LT over a P tire. I hate spending money to replace my Rugged Trails so early, but I don't want to learn how poorly they hold up to talus.
Yes, I did, at 20,000 miles... These Hankooks are 8,000 miles older and are still better than those cheap made BFGs.

P over LT because of money... I didn't want to pay more than $140/ tire. Now, I think I will need to spend closer to $200/ tire for higher quality?

The Hankook Dynaprp ATM tread pattern was dynamite... on all surfaces, but specially impressed on mud and snow, as it isn't a mud terrain tire tread. Yet, not at all noisy. I would rate it as a a quiet highway tire.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #152
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Generally speaking, I think it's somewhat of a myth that with LT tires you will suffer less tire punctures. Yes they have more layers of rubber, but it really doesn't matter. If you run over a nail, it's going to go into the tire and make a hole. In 2011, my one month old LT 265/75/R16 "Load Range C" Durtracs (6-ply) suffered a puncture right through the thickest rubber lug of the tire while I was off-road no less. I spoke to the tire shop guys and they said it doesn't matter if you use load range F, run over sharp things, it's going to make a hole!

About a year later I suffered another puncture while driving in the city, some piece of aluminum went through the shoulder. Had to purchase a new tire because they will not repair it. I repaired it myself and now its a trail spare.

I also spoke to a regional tire distributor in my area and I was told that LT and P rated tires all have 3-ply sidewalls. Only the tire mating surface has more layers. Load Range C = 6 ply, D = 8 ply, E = 10 Ply, F = 12 ply. That being said, the LT tires are of more sturdy construction, they have to be, to support the higher loads and greater PSI ratings.

In the end, I think LT load range C is probably the best for the Tacoma, it seems like a good balance of toughness, and not too much heavier over the factory tire. I think the Duratracs are 10lb heavier each than the rugged trail factory tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
haha I found my post of the other puncture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #153

I was thinking more about trail damage than road damage.

From everything I've read, the DuraTrac seems like a good compromise for an all-around tire. Only 8 lbs heavier than the OEM tires, with significantly more tread depth, and much more capable in all conditions.

OEM BFG Rugged Trail T/A 265/70-16 tires = P, 37 lbs @ 10.5/32"

265/75-16 in

Firestone Destination A/T = P, 42 lbs @ 13/32" --- LT, 46 lbs @ 14/32"

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac = LT, 45 lbs @ 18/32"

BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 = LT, 53 lbs @ 18/32"
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #154

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Crom... Good to hear from you amigo! When are we going 4 wheeling?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #155
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am at 28,000 miles and the tires are still safe, but the min. depth of the tread is at 1/4".

Nice photo on the beach... where is that?

Here is mine (with BFGs, in 2010)...

On Shell Island, 20 miles south of San Felipe, Baja CA Mexico.

Back, but with Hankook's, in 2011:

Thanks! My pic was taken in Ocean Shores, WA. There's a stretch of beach you can drive on that goes for miles and miles. We head out there at least once a year. My family typically preferes mountains and hiking/camping on a river but the kids love a day at the beach.

Link to Map showing Ocean Shores:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=ocean+...ashington&z=11
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #156

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That is great the government gives you the freedom to beach drive! I think we only have Pismo Beach here in California that allow beach driving. The East Coast and Texas are more lucky, with many miles of open beach.

Ours in CA are really too crowded and someone will get run over, so if you want to drive on a San Diego beach, you need to become a Life Guard!

In San Diego, the Life Guards have the BEST vehicles, too:

Under terms of the proposed contract, lifeguards would receive the following 2012 model-year vehicles:
-- three Toyota Sequoia 4WD SUVs,
-- four Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SUVs,
-- 15 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Trucks (short bed),
-- 11 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Trucks, and
-- one Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Truck.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz2N5nHxeNQ
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #157

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Happiness is a warm beach and your Toyota Tacoma tracks on it!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #158

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to go back there!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #159
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to Pismo beach for the first time and want to take my 5 spd prerunner out. Any other advice besides airing down?

Also how far can I drive on my air down tires before I need to fill them back up again? Can I get away with driving to Costco (10 miles), or should I just hit up the first gas station I see?

This will probably be the only time I Drive pismo as I live 4+ hours away so I do not want to invest in a compressor, I just want to drive on a beach once
Old 06-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #160
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I'm going to Pismo beach for the first time and want to take my 5 spd prerunner out. Any other advice besides airing down?

Also how far can I drive on my air down tires before I need to fill them back up again? Can I get away with driving to Costco (10 miles), or should I just hit up the first gas station I see?

This will probably be the only time I Drive pismo as I live 4+ hours away so I do not want to invest in a compressor, I just want to drive on a beach once
I would hit up the first gas station you see, as long as you buy gas (doesnt even have to be a lot) they have to let you use the air tank for free under California state law.

If anyone is wondering, there is 1 other place in northern california where you are legally allowed to drive on the beach, its called samoa dunes in arcata, CA. But if you are gonna go that far north you might as well keep going to oregon dunes national recreation area which is WAYY bigger and very nice.

Another thing i figure id note, you live in sac, drive to sand mountain nevada is about the same for you and there isnt a bunch of jackass rangers waiting to write tickets like every california state park is filled with these days (read hollister, pismo, glamis, etc)

Products Discussed in this Thread