1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NM BLM OHV policy

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by NewMexiTaco, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco [OP] Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    Just to be clear this was just a response to the :locked: thread about getting stuck in the Rio Puerco... couldnt put in there so...yeehaw, boring BLm facts.... In NM.... you can pretty much drive where ever on BLM land that is open to that use. It doesnt mean be irresponsible , but homie was not doing anything illegal. making ruts isnt great, but who hasnt torn $%&t up a little...

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/recreation_activities/off_highway_vehicles.html

BLM[​IMG]>[​IMG]New Mexico[​IMG]>[​IMG]Outdoor Recreation[​IMG]>[​IMG]Outdoor Activities[​IMG]>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    When people think of off-highway vehicles (OHVs), differing connotations come to mind -- usually ATV (single-rider 4-wheeler) and Enduro-type motorcycles or dirtbikes. That’s probably fairly accurate, but technically when it comes to public lands managed by BLM and other federal and state agencies, any mechanized vehicle that can leave a paved road is an OHV. Thus, OHVs’ include pickups with camper shells or pulling camp trailers, RVs traveling down unpaved county roads, a car on an easy two-track road, mountain bikes on backcountry trails, and 4WD trucks and SUVs on challenging backcountry roads.
    Numerous and diverse opportunities for OHV recreation exist on BLM-managed public lands. Miles of trails and open areas await all types of OHV enthusiasts. Please keep in mind that you are responsible for knowing, understanding, and complying with all OHV regulations and state vehicle use laws. Please obey all signs regarding the management of public lands and routes. Know where you are driving, respect private property, stay well away from livestock, wildlife and their water sources, and report any situations or public land management concerns to the nearest BLM office. The BLM regulates the use of roads, trails, and land under its jurisdiction in order to meet specific land management objectives, to protect resources, and to provide public safety.
    OHV Designations

Public lands in New Mexico are designated in the following vehicle use categories:
    • Open Areas -- Open areas are available for all forms of cross-country travel. Vehicles may be operated anywhere within the posted boundaries of open areas. This designation covers about 33 percent of BLM-administered public lands in New Mexico. <LI class=body_text>Limited-Use Areas -- The majority of public lands are designated for limited use. In these areas, vehicle travel is limited to approved (or designated) routes of travel. No cross-country vehicle travel is allowed in these areas. Approved routes of travel are most county roads, state highways, other roads and vehicle routes designated open to use through BLM's land-use planning process. This designation covers about 65 percent of BLM-administered lands in New Mexico.
    • Closed Areas -- Most closed areas are closed to all motor vehicle use by the general public. Hiking, bicycle riding, equestrian use, and other forms of non-motorized recreation may be permitted in these areas. A few closed areas are closed to all use. These areas are closed for safety reasons or for the protection of special resource values which require a more stringent level of protection. No motorized or mechanized vehicles are allowed in wilderness areas. This includes mountain bikes. This designation covers about 2 percent of BLM-administered public lands in New Mexico.
    Following is a table showing BLM’s OHV designations in New Mexico, separated by Field Office. These acreages are subject to change when resource management plans periodically are amended or revised.

Field Office
    Open Acres

Limited Acres
    Closed Acres

Carlsbad
    1,993,456​

5,493​

Farmington
    4,616​

57,369​

Las Cruces
    1,505,242​

146,400​

Rio Puerco
    9,000​

14,800 ​

Roswell
    1,546​

38,966​

Socorro
    786,180​

31,112​

Taos
    0​

22,810 ​

Statewide Total

BLM is currently working on maps and brochures depicting OHV use areas and will update these web pages with that information as it is developed. Visit our Field Office recreation web pages or contact a specific Field Office for additional off highway vehicle use information.
    Off-Highway Vehicle Use on Public Land / Safety

Enjoy your play -- do it the right way by following all rules and regulations for off-highway vehicle use on public land. Anyone operating an off-highway vehicle on BLM land shall do so in accordance with State laws and regulations concerning use, standards, registration, operation, and inspection of off-road vehicles. Unless you are exempted by the New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles, you must register your off-highway motor vehicle and affix the registration plate to your vehicle (NM State Statute 66-3-1003).
    Anyone operating an off-highway vehicle on public land must have a valid state license or learners permit unless: a) the individual is under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who has a valid operator’s license and who is responsible for the acts of the person being supervised; or b) the person is certified by State government as competent to drive off-road vehicles after successfully completing a State approved operator’s training program.

Enjoy your play - do it the smart and safe way, by following these suggestions:
    • <LI class=body_text>Obtain map(s) of area(s) you wish to explore. Determine which areas are open for use, and make sure each rider in your group has a map and knows where the party is headed . <LI class=body_text>Contact land manager(s) for area restrictions, and if crossing private property, be sure to ask permission from landowners. <LI class=body_text>Check weather forecast. <LI class=body_text>Prepare for the unexpected by packing a small backpack full of emergency items. Take plenty of water and high energy food. Pack a first aid kit. Avoid running out of gas and carry tools needed for minor repairs. <LI class=body_text>Wear a safety gear appropriate for the activity, such as ATV, helmet, eye protection, and other safety gear. <LI class=body_text>Never double up passengers on ATVs, which are designed for one rider only. This is the single most common cause of debilitating accidents and death, especially among children to young adults. <LI class=body_text>Buddy up with two or three riders. Riding solo can leave you vulnerable if you have an accident or breakdown. <LI class=body_text>Adhere to posted Travel Management Signs. The signs help guide visitors to do their part in resource protection, and actually benefits OHV experiences. <LI class=body_text>Know your limitations. <LI class=body_text>Be familiar with your vehicle and keep it in good working condition. <LI class=body_text>Operating an off-highway vehicle requires a high degree of skill and judgment. Ride unimpaired - don’t use drugs or alcohol. <LI class=body_text>If your vehicle is equipped with a headlight, ride with it on at all times. It will allow other users to see you sooner.
    • If riding at night, make sure your vehicle is equipped with headlights sufficient to light an object 300 feet in front of you. Make sure your red taillights can be seen at a distance of 500 feet from the rear.
    Active gas wells exist in the Dunes Vehicle Recreation Area. Be safe and stay away from well pads, pipelines, and oilfield equipment. Watch for traffic and heavy trucks.
    Have a positive influence on the area and those around you, practice the Tread Lightly! Pledge:
    Travel only where permitted.
    Respect the rights of others.
    Educate yourself.
    Avoid streams, meadows, and wildlife areas.
    Drive and travel responsibly.
    BLM's Backcountry Guidelines

Click here for additional BLM safety information and guidelines to staying safe in the backcountry.
    BLM's National OHV Strategy

For information on BLM's National Management Strategy for Motorized Off-Highway Vehicle Use please visit: www.blm.gov/ohv.
    Contact Us

Please feel free to contact local BLM Field Office staff with questions related to OHV use, rules, and regulations.

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I want to be clear as well. I don't care what you do while 4 wheeling (or the OP did.) You could throw trash out your window, leave your camp site a mess, shoot trail signs, make your own trail to get to the cool muddy spot, just to name a few. Just don't post that crap on the internet so everyone can say how cool and awesome you are for doing such things. It's not cool.

Would you post pictures of your self drinking and driving? Would you post pictures of your awesome graffiti at the local park? Probably not. What if someone that is new to the site or new to 4wheeling saw that post with all the awesome compliments and rep? I bet they would get out and make some ruts and come back and post them up.

The OP posted he intentionally went off trail to avoid what was on the trail which is the #1 way to continually destroy public land. What if the next 10 people decide to follow his ruts? How about the next 50? If he couldn't make it past the water in front of him he should of turned around.

I apologize for getting upset and it was no way directed at the OP. I was upset at the people blatantly defending his actions on a public forum. Potentially unlawful acts are not for public forums.

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    x2, that place is a dump already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    That is disappointing. Here are some posts for your review:

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    You guys wouldn't care if they decided to close down that spot? Or one of your favorite local spots because this place is trashed? How hard would it be to pick up some trash and haul out the stuff you could pick up?

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    Its been like that for a very very long time. Its all the low lives that steal cars and throw them off that cliff. My dads friend had his jeep stolen about 15 years ago and they found it at the bottom of that cliff, completely pancaked. I agree, its sad.

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
  8. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
  9. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Yea it is sad, and I fully agree to not promote such activities publicly. Getting stuck and it's your only option is one thing... an emergancy situation to get to someone stranded or something is one thing.... there's exceptions to every rule in my book.

Just like the 4 Peaks/Rolling Hills area in AZ though, they do a massive yearly cleanup by 4x4 enthusiasts to clean up things like trashed cars, ammo casings, ect to help ensure it stays clean, safe, and open to the public. If the trash and debris worries you, perhaps find some groups willing to chip in to help an annual cleanup (not sure if the above link is that already). That would be an extremely positive influence to the area.

10. Jul 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    To the OP.....hey!! first Santa Fean I've seen on here. Just curious, what fire dept do you work at? and thanks for the blm info.......Que Viva!

11. Jul 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco [OP] Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!

Yeah, I actually am pretty much on the same page as you; I find littering and all the behavior mentioned above deplorable and unacceptable. Th OP left it pretty much wide open. I am a hippy kid...or i used to be, and I absolutely value conservation of the environment, for it's own sake, and for my lifes greatest pleasures (kayaking, skiing,boarding, climbing ,mtn biking etc...) and for work (2nd, 3rd jobs Ski patrolling and rafting). Ihave done my NOLS semester and shared the Leave-no -trace ethic to customers for as long as i've worked in the outdoor industry.(@12 years) I actually rarely get out wheeling at all any more, not nearly as most on this site, for $$ and family reasons, and also because i truly prefer nonmotorized fun. I'll take a day onthe river most any time ...and if theres some wheeling on the way to the put-in, the crag, or a foot of freshies on the road to the ski hill, all the better...!:D

So I guess I was just ribbing the kid a little initially , and thought he got jumped a little by everyone.
    You have the right sentiment, But my point was just to play devil's advocate, and show that Alex wasn't acting competely illegally.. in that use area...
    questionable judgement sure, as pointed out by all, but there's not a one of us who didn't do stupid shit when they were 21 every now and then....
    The sad fact is NM gets trashed,and has for years, and we may seem cavalier about it, but its prolly a defense mechanism, cause its everywhere here, almost part of the culture. North of Espanola, the Cholla cactus bloom in the summer with walmart bags....:eek:....And yes, Rio Puerco gets Used hard, and within BLM rules it seems to be allowed. in NM theres a posted $50.00 fine for littering.... other states its $500-1000.00... IIRC.
    I am glad there is annual cleanups in Farm town, and it would be a great idea down here... (ALex.... you have been assigned, as TW community service, to organize A Rio Puerco clean -up day)... JK... sort of. I would help...

...F'n A...

What up mang... I am an opinionated bastard, i mean paramedic with county fire.
    looks we'll have to go shred it this winter, judging from your pic. I l'll send you a pm...I prolly know you from the ski area, but dont even remember.and shit..all fierce,no.

12. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    ^^^
    Good post. Just because trash has been there for as long as anyone can remember doesn't mean it can't be cleaned up. Changing one persons mind to not dump there is a good start. Maybe the BLM has some no dumping signs? Ask them for some and post them up on your next run.

I volunteered to clean up one of our local trails last month (free food at the end :D). It is an easy trail, good for camping and new wheelers. As we drove down the trail it was easy to see that drivers were throwing their beer cans out the window as they drove. In Colorado it seems common practice to burn what you don't want to bring home with you in the camp fire. Chairs, cans, boxes, pallets, bottles and pretty much anything else you can think of. Most of that never completely burns and just remains in the camp site. It took 2-3 hours for 5-6 men and 3 kids to clean up 4-6 miles of trail.

Just as good practice I pick up the trash I see and throw it in the bed of my truck. Most of the guys I wheel with bring trash bags and just dump it when they get home.

After seeing those pictures you guys should be glad that the Anti-OHV groups haven't tried to shut down your trails. The Anti-OHV groups in Colorado try to go behind the backs of the OHV groups to change the laws without any input from them or the public. Just like the link I posted about Obama trying to close public land to everyone, including hikers and mountain bikes, without any input from the people who actually use that land.

I am sure any actions you guys take to improve that spot will be a big improvement!

*also :laugh::bananadead: I am still getting negative rep from the trolls in the last post.

13. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    I drive down through Taos to Santa Fe every day (truck driver, deliver Ford parts to dealers). It is a beautifuldrive but it is pretty trashed once you get out of the canyon heading to Espanolá.
    Is there any good trails around Taos? It looks like there are a few trail heads by Questa and a couple just south of Taos.

14. Aug 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    I live in Santa Fe now, and am getting ready to head off to Colorado Springs for school, but grew up in Taos and still spend a lot of time there. You're absolutely right about trails right around Questa, its a beautiful area.
    The short drive up to Cabresto Lake is nice right now or in the fall, its left off of Cabresto Rd which turns into forest road 134, very docile and short but nice nonetheless.

Also if you continue up FR 134 for a few more miles, you can take FR 54 off off to the right, a really nice drive, which takes you up and over a ridge and puts you right down into Red River. These are pretty easy, and nice scenic drives for an afternoon.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=quest...925,-105.43828&spn=0.034261,0.109863&t=h&z=14

It's not major wheeling, but I thought I'd speak to what I like to do with an easy fall afternoon. I'd also suggest you check out the Garcia Park area, which is along Taos canyon between Taos and Angel Fire. There are some cool, above treeline trails, that'll take you from Sipapu to Angel Fire as well

-WB

15. Aug 9, 2010 at 4:11 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Thanks for the info. When you move to Springs look me up and we hit a few trails up here

16. Aug 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    ^^^ Sounds good

Products Discussed in

To Top