Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

2wd sport in the beach sand=not good

Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
2wd sport in the beach sand=not good

well i was driving on some really tore up and loose sand and ended up getting burried to the rear axle. at least i know the LSD works pretty damn well. another guy we were w/ has a lifted f150 on 35x12.5's bfg m/t's and got stuck as soon as we got to the beach, so i beat him on the first run and didnt get stuck until he came to a complete stop. m/t's are ass for the sand, lemme tell ya. there were lil mazda mini suv's scooting past and it made me sick...lol if i'd have been able to keep going, i'd have been ok. those back wheels were both definately kicking up some stuff. now i've pretty much gotten the ok from the wife to get an 09 4x4 if i want.....but i love ol blacky, so i dunno. i think i'll just make my old 71 c-10 into my trail playtoy and keep my truck i have...have to think about it and go see how much an 09 4x4 black sport would run...lol i love the sport and having a locker really wouldnt matter anyhow if i get the sport in 4x4...so who knows...i'm about to go see if the 09's are on toyota.com...and if not i'll go look at my dealer this weekend and see if they have any on hand....choices choices...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
well i was driving on some really tore up and loose sand and ended up getting burried to the rear axle. at least i know the LSD works pretty damn well. another guy we were w/ has a lifted f150 on 35x12.5's bfg m/t's and got stuck as soon as we got to the beach, so i beat him on the first run and didnt get stuck until he came to a complete stop. m/t's are ass for the sand, lemme tell ya. there were lil mazda mini suv's scooting past and it made me sick...lol if i'd have been able to keep going, i'd have been ok. those back wheels were both definately kicking up some stuff. now i've pretty much gotten the ok from the wife to get an 09 4x4 if i want.....but i love ol blacky, so i dunno. i think i'll just make my old 71 c-10 into my trail playtoy and keep my truck i have...have to think about it and go see how much an 09 4x4 black sport would run...lol i love the sport and having a locker really wouldnt matter anyhow if i get the sport in 4x4...so who knows...i'm about to go see if the 09's are on toyota.com...and if not i'll go look at my dealer this weekend and see if they have any on hand....choices choices...

Go get it!!! before the wife regrets it!!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
so, you mean that an off road 2wd would not make it in the beach sand?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
so, you mean that an off road 2wd would not make it in the beach sand?
Pretty much i think so..... no 4wd, don't go in the sand....
Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
all that work to your truck and now you're going to trade it in If you go with the 09, try to steel your old tail lights, because those new ones are ugly!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Pretty much i think so..... no 4wd, don't go in the sand....
I been playing in the soft sand with 2wds for 3 years and have never been stuck. All you have to do is keep your momentum and use your head. Never stop unless you have to, and if you do when you go to start moving again be VERY soft with the pedal. Once your stuck, don't bother with the gas or you'll just bury yourself. Also, never turn your wheel unless you have to.

Hell, 90% of the time when I go to the beach I park in the "4x4 Only" (sign designated) area of the beach. Never had any problems.

Hodge, did you air down?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I been playing in the soft sand with 2wds for 3 years and have never been stuck. All you have to do is keep your momentum and use your head. Never stop unless you have to, and if you do when you go to start moving again be VERY soft with the pedal. Once your stuck, don't bother with the gas or you'll just bury yourself. Also, never turn your wheel unless you have to.

Hell, 90% of the time when I go to the beach I park in the "4x4 Only" (sign designated) area of the beach. Never had any problems.

Hodge, did you air down?
Cool, thanks for the info...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
HEY HODGE! I cant believe you gonna let somebody else enjoy the fruits of your modds! You have 1 of the baddest trucks here-I would keep it 'till the wheels fall off If you do get the '09 how you gonna talk your honee into a whole 'nother gaggle of modds for it
Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
HEY HODGE! I cant believe you gonna let somebody else enjoy the fruits of your modds! You have 1 of the baddest trucks here-I would keep it 'till the wheels fall off If you do get the '09 how you gonna talk your honee into a whole 'nother gaggle of modds for it
i think he would have to take everything off and put it on the new taco....
Old 06-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
i think he would have to take everything off and put it on the new taco....
If true I hope he kept all the original stuff
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If true I hope he kept all the original stuff
he could just swap it with the 09.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
he could just swap it with the 09.
Yeah provided he keeps the old truck for a while. Typically you gotta sell the old one or use it as a tradein.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Yeah provided he keeps the old truck for a while. Typically you gotta sell the old one or use it as a tradein.
Yep.... well in that case i would only keep the sliders
Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #14
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I doubt the dealer would care. They are essentially getting a truck that will look very new because of all new parts.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I doubt the dealer would care. They are essentially getting a truck that will look very new because of all new parts.
Yep most dealerships dont care a lot about mods, they care of the model, mileage and squeeze every cent out of it...
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #16
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Airing your tires way down helps alot too. I got mine stuck in some soft sand about a month ago. I aired the tires down to 15 psi and the difference was like night and day!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Hodge, did you air down?
good to know, also the air down on the rear...

i will put it in practice next time i go to san felipe...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you drive in sand, Costco has a portable compressor for $40 that will work for airing you back up quickly. That way you can air down and not worry about having to air back up before hitting the pavement.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
bigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the roughbigguy78619 is a jewel in the rough
bigguy78619's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For those of you drive in sand, Costco has a portable compressor for $40 that will work for airing you back up quickly. That way you can air down and not worry about having to air back up before hitting the pavement.

or....you can got o ORW and purchase a bottle system and install it in the bed just like i did.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Hodge, did you air down?
X2!