Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

When do you use 4lo?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
When do you use 4lo?

Just wondering when experienced riders use thier 4lo. I have always been told to only use it when needed then take it out. Here where I live we use it to get things moving then switch to 4hi, for example when pulling livestock or rice bins when they have sat all season or it is muddy we enguage 4lo and when all is moving along switch to hi. Just wondering how it is used on the trails.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Chomag will become famous soon enough
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
I would think for the realy muddy, and thick areas but I'm not realy an expert off-roader lol
Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i use mine when the trail gets tough enough that i need to go SLOW...previously i also used it when i needed my locker engaged until i did the gray wire mod
Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
like i said...the only time i needed 4lo in the mud was because i needed the locker engaged...and since toyota only wants you to be locked in 4lo...had to do it...

only recently have i been able to lock in 2/4h/4l

i dont see much use for it if you dont need to go slow and have a lot of torque...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
I sure wish it didn't have that annoying constent chime when it's engaged. So luckly its hardly ever used.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
my2coma is on a distinguished road

my2coma's Tacoma Gallery
I use it when I reach an obstacle(i.e. rocks, steep incline....) and I need to take it slow, but keep the rpm's up. Your most horse power and torque are up in the higher rev's.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
I sure wish it didn't have that annoying constent chime when it's engaged. So luckly its hardly ever used.
Chomag, that annoying constent chime means its not engaged in 4L, probably because you didnt have it in park or neutral when you switch it to 4L. There should be instructions on how to engage it properly in your drivers side sunblocker. If this isnt the case, then you may have a problem.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that chime means its not engaged. you have to be in park or neutral to engage in or out of 4lo. only use when goin super slow and you need all the torque you can get.. yeeehaaaa
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When going to an offroad park to ride the trails all day... 4lo all day long.

I can't imagine driving around Rausch Creek in 4hi.... it's just too bumpy, rocky, and rutted to go that fast on the trails. 4Lo is perfect to keep the speeds down, easier on your truck/suspension & kidneys, and safer for everyone. YOu don't need to be blazing around on the trails especially if there are other groups of rigs or riders (ATV's, etc) running around in the same wooded area. Slower is safer.... Slower keeps the other members in your group together and who wants to rush?? Enjoy the day....
Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

I can't imagine driving around Rausch Creek in 4hi.... it's just too bumpy, rocky, and rutted to go that fast on the trails. 4Lo is perfect to keep the speeds down, easier on your truck/suspension & kidneys, and safer for everyone. YOu don't need to be blazing around on the trails especially if there are other groups of rigs or riders (ATV's, etc) running around in the same wooded area. Slower is safer.... Slower keeps the other members in your group together and who wants to rush?? Enjoy the day....
+1
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco View Post
Chomag, that annoying constent chime means its not engaged in 4L, probably because you didnt have it in park or neutral when you switch it to 4L. There should be instructions on how to engage it properly in your drivers side sunblocker. If this isnt the case, then you may have a problem.
Ahhh, well thats good to know, thanks. I only switched it over once so far and that was just to play with the switch. Heh I guess I just need to get my truck out more for some fun in the mudd.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
daward is on a distinguished road
daward's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to daward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

x2 for slow... on the trail is about the only time you'll hear me say that I have more fun going slow

Not that I have a ton of experience, but... when my 4wd refused to engage two weeks ago, the severe gear change going to 4lo helped me get up/down/in/out of some pretty nasty stuff.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #17
mark155490 will become famous soon enough

mark155490's Tacoma Gallery
i use 4LO IN SECOND GEAR WHEN IM ROOTIN IT UP.CUZ 4 hi in 1st wants to bog down if ur goin to slow
Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I use 4Low for any trail that requires a slower more controlled drive. Anything under 25 - 30 mph.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #19
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I use 4-lo around the house to back up grassy hills since I can let idle do it without juggling gas and clutch. Keeps it slow enough that the tires don't spin and tear up the grass while clutching, or if I need to get within a few inches of something.

Other than that, I use it mostly to get up STEEP hills, or hold my speed back without riding the brakes. It's not as useful to me now with the locker mod done since I can't transition from 4LO to 4HI without stopping. So using 4LO to get going and switching to 4HI is pointless. If I need more speed that 4LO 1st, and less than 4HI 1st I'll start in 4LO 3rd. But more often than not I'll just use 2wd locked and engage 4HI if I bog down when offroading.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #20
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Use it anytime you want big HP but still wanna go slow.