1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio controls on steering not working.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by EricGagne, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I just got my truck, on my way home I tried to turn the radio off and the controls on the steering aren't working. I tried them all, they don't do anything.

I thought maybe there's a way to enable/disable them but I can't check because I don't have the owner's manual either.

Are these controls supposed to work all the time or can they be activated/deactivated somehow ?

2. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Hello warrenty work :wave:

Hit up a dealer and see what they say. I know there were a lot of problems with the radios in the 09's I don't know if it extended to the 2010's or not.

The key was in right? :p

3. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  4. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    It's always annoying when you get a brand new car and something doesn't work but it's not the end of the world, it's only the controls on the steering, the radio works fine. I can live with that a few days if needed.

The dealer has always given me a good service on my FJ, I'm sure it won't be a problem and I'll ask them to get me the owner manual too.

Oh and I forgot to ask one thing. Everything dims out a bit in the dash when I turn on the head lights, is this normal or is there a more serious problem than just the controls for the radio ?

5. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I believe that's normal, but check your dimmer switch to see if it can be adjusted higher. No owners manual with a brand new truck?

6. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I did check the dimmer switch and set it to the highest level. I'm pretty sure it's normal but my FJ wasn't doing that so I just need to confirm.

It's a deal I got on the last 2010 they had in the showroom but it's still a brand new truck, the owner's manual should be in the glove compartment. It wouldn't be the first time a salesman takes it out to show something to a client and doesn't put it back.

If they can't get me one quickly I'm gonna have many questions on how to operate the transfer case, a-track and rear diff lock. I'm not used to buttons in the dash, my FJ had t-case shifter.

P.S: I thought I posted this in the 2nd Gen forum but I just noticed it's in OfFf-Roading & Trails, did I post this in the wrong section ?

7. Aug 13, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Ah, that makes sense.

8. Aug 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Back from the dealership, I got my manuals but the controls are still not working. The mechanic took the steering apart (or whatever) and everything is properly connected. They need more time than they had today to take the dash apart and check the wiring all the way to the radio and the radio itself.

So far my truck has been at the garage 25% of the time :D

Products Discussed in

To Top