Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How long have you been wheeling?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
How long have you been wheeling?

Been seeing some stuff online recently that is absolutely dumb and dangerous. Can't help stopping and thinking about how much experience these people actually have and if they have done it before.

Personally I have been offroading since before I got my permit at 15 yrs old. Approx. 11 years driving in 4 low.

How much experience does everyone else have?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
3-4 years
Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
krumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jon
krumble's Tacoma Gallery
2 years which I don't think really count. Hardest stuff I have done would probably be cleghorn.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm not claiming to be the offroading master, but I have experience in many different situations, especially when talking about recovery. I see people standing next to their winch line, doing dynamic pulls with chains, and doing a pull on a stuck vehicle at 20+mph with a tow strap because "that's how they work", and damaging their frame because of it.
I've also seen someones come-along cable break and snap back and hit him in the nuts. He went to the ER.

Just thinking of all the dumb stuff I've seen that is very dangerous to the person and or vehicle.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i learned to drive in the woods...seriously...around 14-15 years old...im almost 28

66 chevy with 3 on the tree in the woods
Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

nice. I learned in the woods with a 72 scout, and a ford f150.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
Started when I was about 4 or 5 driving my hot wheels atv off the retaining wall my dad built in the front yard. Rolled it into the bushes once and have never rolled a vehicle again haha. Started 4wheeling in a 93 4runner when I was about 12 up in the mountains.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
About 2 years ago is the first time I went wheeling.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
when i was about 16... learned in a 1969 Willy's Jeep on our ranch near Yosemite.... you want to talk about low gearing... if a vehicle could go up something, that thing could.

i remember my dad got it stuck on the side of a mountain and we went and got our 1976 CJ-5 with a 304 V8. That CJ couldn't begin to make it up the hill to pull the willy's out. we had to winch it up the hill pulling from tree to tree...
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
About 10 years....

Started in 99 with my 96 tacoma doing 'organized' wheeling (with offroad clubs & such). Got into Jeeps, built trail rig, trailer, tow vehicle, etc. Mainly wheeled at legal (pay to play) offroad parks here in PA. Also visited Tellico 3X, and GWNF several times, and some place out western PA that I can't remember the name.

Yeah, it's scary the stuff people do. And you wonder why I get anal about enforcing certain 'ettiquette'.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
APTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
at 13 I learned how to drive a standard in ND with my grandpa and he'd make me go to the steepest gravel hill, stop in the middle of it, and then get to the top with out rolling back or spinning the tires..then I've been riding dirt bike since 14 and now have my license and have wheeled every chance I get since I started driving..As for experience I know what I don't know, but I know I love my truck and as for wrecking it I'd say it's more about stupidity then experience. An educated person wouldn't wreck their truck and I know that if mine gets totaled I'll be rolling in a 90's corrolla till I can buy my own truck..haha.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Trucko is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Trucko's Tacoma Gallery
Since i could reach the pedals. My dad tought me young because we camped in such reomote locations that he wanted me to be able to drive out if anything ever happened to him.

I agree with the thread also. I lurk around on this site and sites like this alot and i see alot of stupid things being done in the pictures being posted. accidents do happen and when they do it turns bad and it turns bad quick.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #15

thread revival!:going crazy:
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Since I started driving. 24 years of offroading for me.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Since 1993 when I bought my first 4x4, an '85 Toyota pickup (solid axle, EFI ).
The Rubicon is only 2 hours away, so why not.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Atvs-Since I was about 12

Trucks-I wouldnt say I even really 'wheel' lol maybe occasional mall crawl.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
DaBears is on a distinguished road
Army:
DaBears's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with old blue. been riding 4 wheelers since I can remember (I've done a lot of stupid $hit on them, broke a lot of stuff along the way) because of that, I would say I am a lot more safe in a vehicle then I ever was on a bike. But like 20 years.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
Smurfette
baconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbaconbits2_98 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Becky
baconbits2_98's Tacoma Gallery
Got bit by the wheeling bug 4 years ago and I was immediately addicted to it. It's an adrenaline rush being out on the trails and doing stuff others would normally never think of doing. And being the only girl in most every group I've gone out with makes it that much more fun and the guys know I'm not afraid to push it to the next level. Slowly introducing my oldest nephew in to it as well and at 11 yrs old, he loves going out there with me and keeps asking when we're going again.