Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Pulling out another truck or car

Old 08-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
kbx10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
Pulling out another truck or car

I was wondering about pulling another car out from a ditch, snow bank, anything really. I have a tow strap with a hook on both ends and I pulled a bush out and bent the hitch hooks. I was wondering if there is another place on the frame or something I could hook it?

Do I need to buy a shackle receiver to put in my hitch? I am not looking to spend any more money.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
buy a strap with no hooks to start with
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
well i have one with hooks......
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
A cheaper alternative to a shackle receiver is simply to buy the beefiest hitch pin at your local autoparts store and insert your recovery strap into your hitch and push the pin through the loop in your recovery strap.

You should be using a recovery strap, not a tow strap. A recovery strap has closed loops on each end and has a certain elastic quality to it that provides a smoother transfer of energy from vehicle to another. It is also rated to handle the enormous loads that "snatching" another vehicle out of a ditch, etc. can cause.

Using a tow strap with metal hooks for recovery is asking for disaster. If a hook slips off an attachment point, it's going to become a (very large) bullet. In addition, most tow straps are just not rated for the forces involved.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
Ugh....looks like a waste of money then.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

and that, sir, is why you should ask before purchasing

at least its on a small purchase rather than a large one right?

you can find decent recovery straps with no metal hooks and the proper looped ends for $40-$50
Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
hell harbor freight has them for 15 bucks but you get what you pay for.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #8

kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
Point made. Well guess I will have to wait for the first paycheck to come in. Any word on where to buy one now that I have your attention and have learned my lesson?

Also, what is the best way to attach it to another car/truck?

Thanks a lot guys for the help.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #9

kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
hell harbor freight has them for 15 bucks but you get what you pay for.
haha good point.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Recovery points on the front of the vehicle and try wheelersoffroad.com
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbx10 View Post
Point made. Well guess I will have to wait for the first paycheck to come in. Any word on where to buy one now that I have your attention and have learned my lesson?

Also, what is the best way to attach it to another car/truck?

Thanks a lot guys for the help.
4 wheel parts has stores nationwide as well as online. Wheelers sells them as well as several other TW vendors.

The best way to attach to another truck is to a tow hook attachment point on the frame. Almost every truck has one or two on the front. From the back side, the hitch is the best point. This is assuming the truck doesn't have offroad bumpers with attachment points.

On a car, it gets trickier, as you're pulling from a higher point (your bumper) than the cars and you risk body damage using a strap on a car. Some cars have attachment points up front, I've seen a few that do not or they would not work with a shackle or strap.

Always pull from the frame, never the body (including roll bars/cages) or axles.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

wheelersoffroad or sierraexpeditions has good straps

walmart has cheap straps but they work pretty well...i used one for 3 years or so before i upgraded to an ARB strap

to properly recover a vehicle theyre going to need a recovery point such as a tow hook (usually in the front) or a hitch in the rear should work...preferably something on the frame
Old 08-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
...The best way to attach to another truck is to a tow hook attachment point on the frame. Almost every truck has one or two on the front...
Not my friends ford ranger. No front tow points, sucks for him

Slightly off topic, what brand of tow straps do you guys use? I need to get one, and I want to get something good quality.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Not my friends ford ranger. No front tow points, sucks for him

Slightly off topic, what brand of tow straps do you guys use? I need to get one, and I want to get something good quality.
Keeper Stretch-n-Snatch straps.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/stretch-n-s...wx?filterid=j1

Minimum 2" wide and the longer you get, the better.