1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on Land Rovers?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 98fourbangertaco, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Aug 16, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    I know this is a tacoma site but i found this land rover on craigslist that looked really cool, my dad is looking for something to 4 wheel a little that would also be cool to drive around on the road, he says that he wants something fairly cheap and doesnt need a truck (been looking at a lot of jeeps), i have heard that they are very capable offroad vehicles but have a bad reputation for durability, check the url and let me know what ya think, 4 grand in extras!

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1866372911.html

2. Aug 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I personally love them. Here in scottsdale at a Rover dealer, they have a test track in the back and give you rides to show what they are "capable" of. I have to say I was very impressed and the track was way fun! They get you at a good 45 degree slope and take you under a waterfall that has some pretty steep departure angles!

3. Aug 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    a very good friend of mine and the guy i wheel with the most has a 2004 LR discovery. i help him work on it a lot (that's a sign lol). they are indeed very capable vehicles off road, but it's a different kind of off road. i would never try anything remotely fast in his rover, but it's cake in the taco....on the other hand...you can get a TON of flex out of those things. the solid front axel and coils all around are great. OME makes a great 4 inch lift for them. pair it with coil spring retainers and you'll have more flex than you can use on most trails.

the cons, like you said are the durability. some minor things (mostly electronic) like the power seats not working or various lights going out when the bulbs are still good, and some major things, like the fact that his leaks everything. we've replaced about 6 different seals/gaskets on that thing. head gasket and exhaust being two of them.

for refference, it has about 80,000 miles on it and the guy he bought it from didn't wheel.

with all that said though, it looks like a good rig at a decent price. as on all CL adds though, make sure to talk him down as he's not expecting to get 6000 out of it, just hoping it won't be negotiated too far below that.

good luck and have fun if you get it :)

4. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    ive heard they are not reliable. look t the top gear guys always bashing on them.

5. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    have you looked at any 80 series land cruisers?

6. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Overpriced and overly complicated.

7. Aug 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    and overly unreliable!!!

8. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    My friend bought one for $700 bucks. He is donating it to the local junkyard then continuing to try and make repairs to it.
    On the other hand, I bought an 85 Toyota Pickup that doesn't run for $1000, and have people offering to buy it from me already, for more than I bought it! (still not running, still has a bunch of rust)

9. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    My housemate's dad had a Land Rover Defender and swears that it's the best off road vehicle ever

10. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    Thanks guys, idk if he will get it or not but I just thought It had a lot of money spent there for 6000, some kind of roof rack I don't remember, rovertym bumper with 9,000 lb warn winch, ome 3in lift, 285 bfgs, and a lot of factory options, if It would have decent service I told him I thought it would make a sweet rig that u could take 4 people in easy

11. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I personally like them. The craigslist one doesn't look that bad. See if you guys can test drive it to see if there is anything major wrong with it. Also see if you can take it to a shop to get checked out.

12. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  13. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    rjclemen

rjclemen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner The good looking Blue
    Tint, Bed Cover, HIDs, stubby antenna, double din system, debagded, All Terrain bedside stickers.
    If you can get a late 80's Range Rover you would be sitting real good. They had a great engine, straight axle's and are actually reliable.

14. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
  15. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    great off-roaders...not dependable at all.

My step-dad who has been in the car business for 35 years used to tell me stories of new ones leaking oil on the showroom floor.

16. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    Sterling

Sterling Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off-Road Tacoma
    Very capable! But that guy is an IDIOT for having his hand out the window!!!

One of my co-workers here has a Defender 2 that has proven to be very reliable and VERY capable off road. Good cars, but you HAVE to stay up on maintenance.

17. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I have been around the car business as well, talking to a service rep at the local rover place one day and mentioned that I was a big fan or Rovers. He said unless you want to get on a first name basis with your service writer to not buy one.

18. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    They are shit. Just ask any good mechanic. I have a good friend that HAD to have one. She has spent more on it in the last 2 years than I thought possible. New fuel system, new compressor and tons of other problems. They make take you off road but they don't seem to find their way back under their own power.

19. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    you summed it up very well...

quite capable 4x4...
    horrible reliability, electrical systems, etc.

I would never depend upon one to bring me back from way out in the boonies... that's where reliability is key.

20. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    this

i dont care how capable they can be offroad...if they arent reliable enough to get me back...i dont want anything to do with it

with that said...the past couple of times ive been to URE...theres been a group of Brits wheeling rovers...and they helped spot me thru a couple of tricky sections...and then promptly went the harder route

Products Discussed in

To Top