Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

aftermarket bumpers... a little fugly?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
aftermarket bumpers... a little fugly?

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, seriously, I'm not! I respect the amount of damage aftermarket bumpers can take and the extra clearance they give, and how useful they are.

That being said, anyone else find them super ugly? I've been searching for one I actually thought looked presentable.

Yet I like them on FJ Cruisers and wranglers, go figure.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I think some of them look pretty badass and add decent amount of protection and improve approach angles a shit ton.

but I do think some aftermarket rear bumpers are ugly.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
They look a lot better than stock imo.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
x2^ love the look of my all pro
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Which bumper are you reffering to?
Honestly all of them. I find the all-pro somewhat nicer looking I suppose, and the relentless fab isn't so bad, but I guess they look really ridiculously big and cut away so much bumper near the tire that they just look terrible to me.

I do realize that both cutting away and being overly large are for clearance and protection. I mean, I get that there's no other route to go for real protection. And if I ever make my truck a trail rig down the line after I've had it for awhile, I'll probably just break down and buy one.

But man...
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
theres only one or two i dont like..... i like a lot of them
Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Seriously not trying to knock anyone. I know some guys really like how they look. And there's no question that they work, for sure!

I was just curious if I was the only one who thought they weren't all that stylin'.

Edit: And apparently I am. So that solves that.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I think some of the tube front bumpers are kinda ugly. I like the plate ones better.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That's what happens when you choose function over looks.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Seriously not trying to knock anyone. I know some guys really like how they look. And there's no question that they work, for sure!

I was just curious if I was the only one who thought they weren't all that stylin'.

Edit: And apparently I am. So that solves that.
It might not be your style...but they are pretty damn sharp for the most part if you ask me. I don't need a ton of stuff in front of/around the tires etc etc. Solid and Functional with some black paint and I'm set.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Right. don't get me wrong, I've definitely thought about getting one because they are so damn functional. I just think it looks bad. Anyway, that is all. No need to continue discussion, thank you people. Glad we kept it civil.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
I think some of the tube front bumpers are kinda ugly. I like the plate ones better.
I am the opposite. I love the tube bumpers, plates; not so much.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe if they were color coded and had the cute little chrome strip, you might find them more appealing?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
It's an acquired taste that grows on you. I used to think the same thing, but as I saw more of them, my position slowly reversed to the point where I now prefer them to stock. Something about the genuine purpose they serve now makes them better looking to me than the plastic stock stuff.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Yeah, I dunno, I think it's how most of them go so against the lines of the truck more than anything. *shrug*

Edit: especially ARB. And how they're just so cut away.

And actually I agree with the above. I definitely don't think they look as bad as I did at first.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Yeah, I dunno, I think it's how most of them go so against the lines of the truck more than anything. *shrug*

Edit: especially ARB. And how they're just so cut away.

And actually I agree with the above. I definitely don't think they look as bad as I did at first.
I just put this on yesterday morning on my DD. I see what your saying in a way. I suppose it's all about protection and if/when you ever take your front bumber off you will see what little protection the stock bumper carries.
It's litterally a piece of steal about a foot and a half long. The rest is plastic.
Ugly yes. In a sexy kinda way.

It's all about form/functionality and looks.
Sure it looks like I was in a head on collision....but in a good kinda way.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That looks really good man!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #18
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of fugliness on this truck.

Attached Thumbnails
aftermarket bumpers... a little fugly?-captured-2004-6-20-00005.jpg   aftermarket bumpers... a little fugly?-captured-2004-6-20-00004.jpg   aftermarket bumpers... a little fugly?-captured-2004-6-20-00002.jpg   aftermarket bumpers... a little fugly?-captured-2004-6-24-00002.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
For me it depends on the angle, I love the way my all-pro looks EXCEPT from the side and twards the back of the truck a bit. If you are standing at teh right angle, you cannot see the body of the bumper, all you see is the edge of the "wing" that is cut very high in front of the wheel...this looks retarted to me, but then you walk around to the front or a different angle, and its sexy again..haha
Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #20

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post
For me it depends on the angle, I love the way my all-pro looks EXCEPT from the side and twards the back of the truck a bit. If you are standing at teh right angle, you cannot see the body of the bumper, all you see is the edge of the "wing" that is cut very high in front of the wheel...this looks retarted to me, but then you walk around to the front or a different angle, and its sexy again..haha
Yea. What is that wing thing? It looks to be a handle of sorts. Surely it is not a hi-lift jack point.