Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

tips on making truck better?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
cbr_aaron will become famous soon enoughcbr_aaron will become famous soon enough
cbr_aaron's Tacoma Gallery
tips on making truck better?

Hey Guys
Iam new to the truck road and i just got a tacoma but its 4x2, this weekened i went to the lake and had a hard time getting through the sand. Anything i could do to make it a little more off road ready besides buying a 4x4?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr_aaron View Post
Hey Guys
Iam new to the truck road and i just got a tacoma but its 4x2, this weekened i went to the lake and had a hard time getting through the sand. Anything i could do to make it a little more off road ready besides buying a 4x4?
lower your tire pressure when driving in sand.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
better tires
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Does your truck have a factory locker?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
WestonJ is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Weston
WestonJ's Tacoma Gallery
4x4, haha. but i dont think a 2 wheel drive with a locker in sand wont work that great considering i pulled out a 2wd 2003 tundra with the trd off road package this weekend. he was stuck in some pretty soft sand and all the locker was doing was making the situation worse.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Guys
1. Read the forums, get out on runs with offroad clubs let them school you.
2. Come back to that forum and post your question again
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
lower your tire pressure when driving in sand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
better tires
These.

If you have decent tires (I did rather well with my BFG AT KO's) and air down to about 20psi you should be ok. I had a locker though which makes it that much better (talking my old off road prerunner).

The #1 thing though... momentum. Also carry a few plywood boards or something to put under the tires if they start digging in.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
cbr_aaron will become famous soon enoughcbr_aaron will become famous soon enough
Do you guys thing having a lift would help at all?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you guys thing having a lift would help at all?
Only if your bottoming out or are haveing to drag the differential (pumpkin on the rear axle) through the sand or are getting one tire up in the air from not enough suspension flex or your aproach angles are to low. Other then that a lift will do you nothing but look good. Get some good tires air down learn how to drive better on the sand and get a locker. Prerunners can be and are capable. Not as capable as a 4WD, but arent that bad.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 AM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighTacoma View Post
Only if your bottoming out or are haveing to drag the differential (pumpkin on the rear axle) through the sand or are getting one tire up in the air from not enough suspension flex or your aproach angles are to low. Other then that a lift will do you nothing but look good. Get some good tires air down learn how to drive better on the sand and get a locker. Prerunners can be and are capable. Not as capable as a 4WD, but arent that bad.
only thing that will lift the pumpkin is larger tires. the lift is above the rear axle
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
What are some of the better tires that i can use? is there anything else besides tires? i like my truck and cant afford a 4x4 right now..
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
What are some of the better tires that i can use? is there anything else besides tires? i like my truck and cant afford a 4x4 right now..
Tires are your direct link to the contact surface... there's nothing that improves traction than proper tires.

On a mostly road/sometimes hitting a trail/sand I found the BFG All Terrain KO's to handle pretty well, but they didn't do so well on slick rock (light stream crossing ect). Still for a pre-runner they're about as good as it gets. I'd get some better traction than some 4x4's with crappy tires in some conditions just to give you a taste on how much tires can make a diff.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honestly, your best and cheapest option is air down your tires on sand and buy a cheap cig lighter air pump and keep it with you for when you need to go back on the road. Air down to about 15 psi, take it easy and don't forget that you have a 2wd, that'll get through a lot of sand. Getting through sand is more about floatation than traction in a lot of cases.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
My truck does have a factory locker, is there a certain speed that i have to go at?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Just have a heavy foot be try not to spin the tires to much!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
or, a genuine set of sockmonkey bedside decals!

they will get you out of any situation.

your results may vary. please consult a physician before consuming.
side affects include but are not limited to: "awesome" comments from total strangers; severe headaches; attention from opposite sex; increase in horsepower; increase in ability to jump curbs; increased tolerance for pain.
please see your doctor if an erection lasts more than 4 hours. some or none of these affects apply to you
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
ok cool thanks for all the info guys, if u guys have any other suggestions on mods for my truck please let me know...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
1. Read the forums, get out on runs with offroad clubs let them school you.
2. Come back to that forum and post your question again
Quote:
ok cool thanks for all the info guys, if u guys have any other suggestions on mods for my truck please let me know...
Number one rule here, don't listen to answers like the one above

Good questions and glad to see someone who is willing to learn without destroying their truck first.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
Number one rule here, don't listen to answers like the one above

Good questions and glad to see someone who is willing to learn without destroying their truck first.
huh so its better to spend boat load of money on mods that may or may not work but were suggested by unknown source.
if he tries the truck in stock form while going with the group of people they will tell him based on the location what he really needs. He will also figure out by himself what works for his type of the trips.

I could write that he needs
a.Solid axle o n the front, 1 tons ... + portals
b 5.29's with ARB lockers
c. Snorkel with diesel swap
d. marlin crawler transfer case
e. Full body exo
f. Flat belly mod
g 4 link everything
aaa did I forgot something ???
He can put everything above and may last few minutes longer breaking something from over confidence
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
huh so its better to spend boat load of money on mods that may or may not work but were suggested by unknown source.
if he tries the truck in stock form while going with the group of people they will tell him based on the location what he really needs. He will also figure out by himself what works for his type of the trips.

I could write that he needs
a.Solid axle o n the front, 1 tons ... + portals
b 5.29's with ARB lockers
c. Snorkel with diesel swap
d. marlin crawler transfer case
e. Full body exo
f. Flat belly mod
g 4 link everything
aaa did I forgot something ???
He can put everything above and may last few minutes longer breaking something from over confidence
So far your 0 for 2 on helpful posts...the guy asked what he could do to make his truck more off road capable. So instead of telling him he may want to try a few low-no cost things you tell him just in the seat and drive and then come back ask questions? How does that help him prepare for trail runs and getting out of a sticky situation? He wasn't asking if a lift will make it better or what new tires to run, but what are some thing a new to off roading person would need to know. Again how does that help he learn? There's tons of stuff on TW to read about getting out of stuck situation and what not, others were very helpful.

Now post something helpful for the new guy and make a Friend