Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

In-Cab Snorkel

Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
In-Cab Snorkel

Before I actually go ahead a punch a hole in my cab, I'm looking for some cons to doing something like this. Maybe I'm missing something others have already thought of.

Basically, I'm planning on removing the factory air intake tube in the fender and running some 3" plumbing tube from the air filter box to the inside of the cab and sealing with some silicone. I will be running with the deckplate mod (open for daily driving, closed for offroad). (Example: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137385 )

Pros:
Filter stays cleaner off road.
Difficult to get water into engine.
No bulky snorkel outside the vehicle.
Considerably cheaper than an aftermarket snorkel.
No outside cosmetic changes.

Cons:
Air sucking noise with deckplate on? off? how bad?
Is there room under the fender for a 3 inch tube with stock fenders? I assume so.
Antenna in the way, but I moved it in the cab and filled in the hole a long time ago.
If water floods the cab, the entry point is actually a bit lower than factory (but if that much water gets in the cab, I figure I'd have a lot more to worry about anyway)

I've seen a few people on TTORA with this type of setup, but haven't seen it get much press over there or over here and was wondering if there's just something I'm missing as to why more people dont do it.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
it will be pretty loud in the cab, not just sucking noise, you probably wont be able to converse
Old 08-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
STravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
STravis's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post a few pictures of set-ups like it so other people know what it would look like.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i did this, when the deck plate isnt in, i put a towel in the side of the air box in the tube to keep from hearing the sucking sound majority of the time. It really isnt that loud though when its sucking from the cab. I used a 3" dryer duct on mine, fits pretty well!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
also from ttora, but he may be wrong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmoto View Post
We have thought about putting the intake in the cab, but decided against it for now/always. Its not a DD, but it will still be driven on the street. And the intake inside the cab will probably be loud as hell, especially with a sc. Some people might not care about the noise, but I like to talk about politics and my feelings when driving haha. I am going to build a splash guard to cover the filter though, so hopefully that will help keep it clean.

We havent taken any photos from the front yet cause I went riding in glamis over the weekend, but I will try to do it tomorrow morning before I leave for school.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTacoma View Post
i did this, when the deck plate isnt in, i put a towel in the side of the air box in the tube to keep from hearing the sucking sound majority of the time. It really isnt that loud though when its sucking from the cab. I used a 3" dryer duct on mine, fits pretty well!
That looks like it could work really well. Those dryer exhaust tubes really aren't the thickest though, which is why you put the extra tape on I assume. Do you still have the plastic inner fender in place to help protect it as well?

How long have you had it on and how well has it held up for you?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
That looks like it could work really well. Those dryer exhaust tubes really aren't the thickest though, which is why you put the extra tape on I assume. Do you still have the plastic inner fender in place to help protect it as well?

How long have you had it on and how well has it held up for you?
They aren't the thickest, but it's not all stretched out. It's mostly compacted still, just extended at the ends where it connects. The tape def helps make it a little thicker and keep it in tact, I used the gorilla duct tape on it. I don't have the plastic piece, there wasn't one in there though. The guy who had my truck before me had something like what I put in there, but it was really flimsy and wasn't connected very well. When I put the fender on, everything fit like a glove, it doesn't crush it or anything. What kinda stuff are you thinking about using on your truck?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #8

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTacoma View Post
They aren't the thickest, but it's not all stretched out. It's mostly compacted still, just extended at the ends where it connects. The tape def helps make it a little thicker and keep it in tact, I used the gorilla duct tape on it. I don't have the plastic piece, there wasn't one in there though. The guy who had my truck before me had something like what I put in there, but it was really flimsy and wasn't connected very well. When I put the fender on, everything fit like a glove, it doesn't crush it or anything. What kinda stuff are you thinking about using on your truck?

I haven't been to the hardware store to check out what was available.

At first I was thinking of running some pvc (or similar) type of tube with an elbow in the middle, but was a little worried about a rock cracking it going down the highways.

Ideally, some type of rubber hose would be best, but not sure I could find something like that in 3" diameter.

Your dryer exhaust sounds like it is working well, I may just have to copy you. Since I no longer have the plastic inner fender protector either, I was hoping I'd be able to find something a bit more durable. Since yours is lasting and the tube should have enough give to not crack if hit by a rock, I may have to go that route if I cant find something else.

As far as noise goes, I'm really not all that concerned about noise. I'm sure I'm a little strange, but I prefer to ride with the window open instead of using the AC. The AC cooling just feels too fake to me or something.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
As far as noise goes, I'm really not all that concerned about noise. I'm sure I'm a little strange, but I prefer to ride with the window open instead of using the AC. The AC cooling just feels too fake to me or something.
I like driving with the windows down too! Hah. But yeah just depends on how loud it would be which I have no Idea.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe buy 6 extra feet of tube and run it through the door window for a day, see if the noise bugs you.

I gaurantee the noise would bug me, but to each his own, and in cab snorkles are cool and functional. if you can stand it.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #11

Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Maybe buy 6 extra feet of tube and run it through the door window for a day, see if the noise bugs you.

I gaurantee the noise would bug me, but to each his own, and in cab snorkles are cool and functional. if you can stand it.
Thats probably a good idea. I'll run with out the fender and with a hose around the block a few times to make sure its not terribly loud.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Lets just make a massive thread bump, its not like its been 4 years or anything...

Anyone care to share their long term experience with doing this?